Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Carlisle a dud?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Vins
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Carlisle a dud?

Just came back from Carlisle today. My 9th year in a row and, I must say, I was very disappointed. First off, people are still saving spots by leaving folding chairs on the Fun Field. This has been an issue for years. Next, after purchasing a C6 GS last November, I had money burning a hole in my pocket. I was looking for some under hood items such as custom painted fuel rail covers and painted caps. GM parts Wharehouse was the only one that had the caps and, at a very high price.
no one had a variety of f/r covers at all. There was a guy across from Kerbeck last year who had a large selection of custom painted F /R covers. Where were they this year?
Many merchants on the Midway seem to have had smaller tents this year as well. West Coast Corvette's tent was about half the size this year and the selection was terrible as far as C6 parts. RPI seemed to offer every known stick on accessory ever made for a Corvette. When I asked one of their reps about a price on a custom item, he had no idea what I was talking about.
Over at Mid America,they were offering 10% off and free shipping on orders over 250.00 Really? What if I want it now? Guess what! They had nothing there. Empty! Pull up a chair, flip through a catalog and you'll get it in a week or two.
Adams Polish was the only one you had. Large assortment of prouduct and, gave you a nice discount as well.
So in closing, yes the weather was terrible. But overall, Corvettes at Carlisle was a let down. We wait all year for this event and it did not deliver this year. Hanging out at the hotel with the club members was more enjoyable.
See you next year? I'll have to think about it
Old 08-24-2014, 11:37 PM
silvrhand
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

last few major events I have been too are all like this, they must not be making any money at this point with being undercut by @home dealers and internet shops
Old 08-25-2014, 09:43 AM
corvette Stu
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was done with CAC two years ago, same old same old for me. If I want to see a lot of new C7's I can go down to AC NJ to the largest Corvette dealer in the US.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

Anymore I go for the people.
Last year everything on my list seemed high there, went home and ordered my list on line and everything was less than at the show.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Vins
Instructor

Default agree

You would think that some if the vendors would want to move product at this show. I'm not asking for steep discount's like 50% off but, maybe 10-20 % off. If I were a vendor, I would want to go home with an empty truck and a pocket full of cash.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Hmmm.....thought it was only me who felt this way. Crummy weather both Friday & especially Saturday made it a downer & I have to agree that there didn't seem to be much of interest at the various vendor tents. I was especially amazed at the huge tent that Corvette America had down near Installation Alley & all they had there was a catalog order desk....no product inventory at all. I remember last year that same tent was chocked full of merchandise & was busy all day. Next year will have to think twice about going out to CaC.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:31 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I think the vendor items actually for sale issue has something to do with the Pennsylvania state tax ...
Old 08-25-2014, 02:58 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by j3studio
I think the vendor items actually for sale issue has something to do with the Pennsylvania state tax ...
That may be true and I have heard talk about that tax going up. Just the same, shows like this are great for impulse buys. There were several small ticket items I was looking to pick up. The vendors either didn't have any or only had 1 color choice? They all gave me the same sales pitch, "If you order it from us now, we'll ship it to you at the show price" etc. That's not the point. I can hop on the internet and order anything I want anytime I want. I'm at the show, I want to buy it now. There is one particular item I have been attempting to buy for 3 years. My wife says, just order it. I said, NO it's the principle now. I'm not buying it until it's available at this show dammit! The last 2 years they had every color but mine and this year they didn't have it at all. It's a silly $5 item but it's the perfect purchase to satisfy my, "I'm at the show, I have to buy something." stubbornness. Then there was another item they were offering a great discount on but again, they only had 1 color. I already had this item but was going to pick up another one if I need to replace it a few years down the road. But since they didn't have my color, I had time to think about it and convinced myself I'd rather just pay full price in a few years if I need it. These are the kinds of sales, which I'm sure there are many of, vendors lose out on when they don't have products available.

I'm not bashing the vendors as I'm sure the logistics of trying to figure out what variety of all the different items they offer to bring and how to get them there can be a nightmare. But it seems the vendors have had less and less each year.

Still, CAC has become more of a relaxing drive and weekend away for my wife and I. I guess I shouldn't be complaining about not being able to spend money.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:25 PM
JW3101
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-‘17-‘18

I have to agree that it did seem a little sparse. One of my major gripes are the vendors who used to pack up early on Sunday - now seem to pack up Saturday afternoon. I think we paid for three days and that they should have a full 3 days. Maybe Carlisle should require or increase their deposit fee and keep the deposit if they pull out before it's over on Sunday.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:29 PM
yellowgrandsport
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vins
Just came back from Carlisle today. My 9th year in a row and, I must say, I was very disappointed. First off, people are still saving spots by leaving folding chairs on the Fun Field. This has been an issue for years. Next, after purchasing a C6 GS last November, I had money burning a hole in my pocket. I was looking for some under hood items such as custom painted fuel rail covers and painted caps. GM parts Wharehouse was the only one that had the caps and, at a very high price.
no one had a variety of f/r covers at all. There was a guy across from Kerbeck last year who had a large selection of custom painted F /R covers. Where were they this year?
Many merchants on the Midway seem to have had smaller tents this year as well. West Coast Corvette's tent was about half the size this year and the selection was terrible as far as C6 parts. RPI seemed to offer every known stick on accessory ever made for a Corvette. When I asked one of their reps about a price on a custom item, he had no idea what I was talking about.
Over at Mid America,they were offering 10% off and free shipping on orders over 250.00 Really? What if I want it now? Guess what! They had nothing there. Empty! Pull up a chair, flip through a catalog and you'll get it in a week or two.
Adams Polish was the only one you had. Large assortment of prouduct and, gave you a nice discount as well.
So in closing, yes the weather was terrible. But overall, Corvettes at Carlisle was a let down. We wait all year for this event and it did not deliver this year. Hanging out at the hotel with the club members was more enjoyable.
See you next year? I'll have to think about it
I kinda agree with you. I enjoy the CAC. I went up Thrusday morning and enjoyed watching the unloading of the new C7 Z06s. Hot as he'll by ok.
May vendors have pulled back on site sales because of the sales tax and in the past marked up the prices to compensate for the tax.
I was looking for new items for my C7 and really found nothing so I will order from the internet. Some vendors who install pulled back on that also because they gave them little room to do it.
The GM nationals was the same way. Only half the vendors as in past years. Just gave me more time to look at the cars which is why I go in the first place. Trust me I attend all the nationals there and it's the same.
I belong to the Grandsport regersity so I have a spot with them even though I have a new C7.
I have a lot of grand sport under hood Crome parts if your interested and I'll give you a good deal.
Contact me @ jtitus1947@comcast.net
Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 PM
pghvette454
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts

I must agree, Carlisle was a bit of a dud this year. It was a lot better last year. I dont know whether it was the rain or what! As a potential buyer looking for a new vette, as well as c6 parts. there really wasnt that much. There were practically no cars in the sale section! took 20 minutes to look through. That was the main reason i went. This is my 6th in a row and by far the most disappointing.

People asking c6 prices for C5's and dont even get me started on the prices of C2's.... There were about 7 c6's total for sale. all with insane pricing! Only okay deal was a 2008 Z06 with 30k miles for $38k

Maybe next year....
Old 08-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Vins
Instructor

There was a vendor last year that was across from the Kerbeck display. They sold custom painted fuel rail covers and many other custom parts. Does anyone remember their name?
Old 08-25-2014, 09:25 PM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shado

Still, CAC has become more of a relaxing drive and weekend away for my wife and I. I guess I shouldn't be complaining about not being able to spend money.

This was my first CAC and I enjoyed the experience. I enjoyed pulling into my hotel on Thursday night and seeing dozens of Corvettes all over the parking lot, meeting owners in the lobby and then going to the diner with some, the show on Friday, going to dinner afterwards and having Vette owners to chat with all over the restaurant, etc.

I wasn't looking for anything specific, in terms of parts to buy for my car - that was not my primary reason for going to Carlisle. I will say that I casually browsed some of the Vettes for sale and I thought there would be more. I wasn't there Sunday morning, and I'm sure many are more aggressive selling their cars then, I guess.

Since my car didn't make it this year, they deferred my registration to next year, so I look forward to next year - maybe with a bigger shopping list.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:35 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

I once inquired and didn't get far with direction but, how does one go about selling items with GM/Chevrolet/Corvette proprietary markings on them?

I'd love to set up a booth there and sell some items I design, Rain or Shine!!!

But without proper authorization for distribution/sales, I wouldn't.

So how do you guys sell all these Corvette related items you create?
Old 08-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
I once inquired and didn't get far with direction but, how does one go about selling items with GM/Chevrolet/Corvette proprietary markings on them?

I'd love to set up a booth there and sell some items I design, Rain or Shine!!!

But without proper authorization for distribution/sales, I wouldn't.

So how do you guys sell all these Corvette related items you create?
What you need is a license from GM to use their trademarks. I remember seeing GM's trademark licensing website, don't have a link. A little Google detective work should find it.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:10 AM
Wkeil99hardtopred
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

During the event you made a bunch of posts saying how great the show was. Now you are back tracking. Whats up with that.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Wkeil99hardtopred
Racer

Originally Posted by JW3101
I have to agree that it did seem a little sparse. One of my major gripes are the vendors who used to pack up early on Sunday - now seem to pack up Saturday afternoon. I think we paid for three days and that they should have a full 3 days. Maybe Carlisle should require or increase their deposit fee and keep the deposit if they pull out before it's over on Sunday.
I learned a few years ago never goto a carlisle event on a Sunday.

Get notified of new replies

To Carlisle a dud?

Old 08-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Haven't missed CAC for years but had to miss it this year. It has been going down hill for sometime now but I still went. Really didn't miss it this year and with the above reviews it may be off my list for next year and years to follow.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Wkeil99hardtopred
During the event you made a bunch of posts saying how great the show was. Now you are back tracking. Whats up with that.
??

Whom are you addressing?
Old 08-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Wkeil99hardtopred
Racer

Originally Posted by Czarvette
??

Whom are you addressing?
The OP

Quick Reply: Carlisle a dud?