Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Vettes run wild on LIE

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 09:32 AM
wfd1739
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
Thank goodness someone is keeping us safe from the "no front plate rebels", lawless, wreckless, selfish, disregard for human life drivers. Lawmakers have spent countless hours contemplaing the safety effect of having a front plate, and these self serving corvette drivers who take it upon themselves to disregard the law and cause otherwise busy patrol officers to cause near accidents and risk their own lives and corral them and issue tickets. The officers are pulled from other more pressing safety issue like writing inspection violation tickets, seat belt tickets, and possibly speeding tickets to have to deal with these front plate violators. I commend the officers for their diligence and professionalisim, no one was beat or shot. (I was once issued a no front plate ticket after being pursued by two patrol cars for one block doing 25mph in a 30mph zone where the missing front plate was properly deemed a public safety hazard)
Old 11-03-2014, 09:20 AM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

Originally Posted by MY5THVET
This Sunday a reckless band of Corvetters was subdued by Suffolk County’s finest along the LIE. It was reported that were traveling in excess of 60 mph and changing lanes at will, endangering innocent travelers along their path of wanton mayhem.
After a careful check of all 15 or so Corvettes by no less than 4 patrol cars, 5 of the offenders were found to be guilty of that #1 threat to public safety and security….NO FRONT PLATE!
Thank to SCPD for their diligence, I for one feel a lot safer on the roads of America knowing that these youths ( OK youths in the 50’s and 60’s) have been corralled!
Wow...I did a Winery Tour on the 18th. We had 10 cars and were traveling with traffic on the LIE. Got off at exit 67 and traveled some back roads. No incidents. I think people with cell phones are a little too quick to report what they think is cause for concern. Corvettes changing lanes to get around slower cars can seem like a wolfpack of unruly and dangerous drivers.
Oh, and we had dinner at, "Jerry and the Mermaid" in Riverhead. Great place with fine food.
that is all

Last edited by 6SPD98; 11-03-2014 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-04-2014, 01:43 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Isn't New York the same state that indeed had "Marauding Bikers"
causing mayhem, injury, and death earlier this year?
Didn't the police get a real black eye on national network news for not somehow foreseeing this mess or at least reacting quickly to it and preventing it?

Fast forward.
Some Dudley Dooright in his minivan, likely doing 58 in the far left lane, while talking to his shrink on the phone, suddenly sees this band of shiny cars moving around him. Upon peeing his pants, summons the courage to make an illegal call on his cell phone, and sound like the guy describing the Hindenburg disaster to the 911 operator.
Police are summoned.
Police amass, and spot the caravan.
While observing no law breaking going on, it's too late to turn back now, especially after hearing the dastardly allegations of reckless driving, so over to the side they go.
Now, you and I might have left it at that, but remember the Hindenburg guy, and maybe you see why the police felt compelled to do something.
Police know that the plate ticket gives you no dreaded points, it only costs you some dough, which you obviously have too much of anyway if driving these cars.
So, the plate-less now become the moneyless!
After-all, you know the law, you break it anyway, so you are almost flaunting your lawless ways, and daring law enforcement to tag you on it.
They do, and end of story.
Err, except for the "whine".
I occasionally run without the front plate when in NCRS trim.
Was pulled over once, and was prepared for the ticket, but it never came. He simply said, display the plate. I know it stinks, but it's the law.
My point is, it is the law, and should I choose to break it, then I would be wrong to think I am not responsible for the consequences.
If everyone in the caravan had a front plate, you all would have been on your way to the winery with no more than an interesting story and a small delay.
We do not get to pick and choose which laws we obey, and which ones we don't without the consequences.
(Unless of course we are certain political figures or maybe an appointee here and there)
That is just not the way it works.
Law Enforcement knows that, and it's their job to do it.
They may even think it stinks, but that doesn't matter either, it's the law.
Hopefully you all had fun anyway!

Marty
NCRSZR1
95PACER

Last edited by DRM500RUBYZR-1; 11-04-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Some may indeed pick and choose!
Old 11-05-2014, 08:32 AM
michaelcerv
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default target

I think the police on the LIE have been targeting groups for quite a while. I remember reading some posts here a few years back saying this was routine for police on Sunday mornings.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:52 PM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by michaelcerv
I think the police on the LIE have been targeting groups for quite a while. I remember reading some posts here a few years back saying this was routine for police on Sunday mornings.
....Sunday mornings. Glad I do my winery tour on Saturday morning.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:14 PM
pbadad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Problem solved Last year

Originally Posted by 6SPD98
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  76.1 KB
Also lowered taxes and no state income tax
Finally got sick and tired of being ripped off in New York ...J
Old 11-06-2014, 07:23 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Wow. That sucks.

More the reason why I registered my Vette in AZ.

No inspection.

No front plate.

And no godawful inspection/registration stickers on the front windshield.

(But those perks come at a premium).
Old 11-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Notninja
Racer

Originally Posted by MY5THVET
How they amassed 4 cars in such a short time is curious indeed, like mafvette said, we just got on at 52 heading East, and by 56 we were pulled over. We were heading for some wine country touring and dinner and driving rather slowly in the middle lane.
I drive the LIE daily. The stretch between exits 55-58 in both directions is what I would call an enforcement zone. The cops hang out there every day at least 5 cars. One yahoo cop likes to stand outside of his car along the center median and aim his radar gun like its his weapon.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:55 PM
GS_V
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

soo much drama....

rule 101. If a cop did not witness the Vettes doing xyz, they can not write a ticket. They will yell, scream stomp their feet and threaten you how quickly the will have "that vette" on a flat bed..... but, THEY CAN ONLY WRITE WHAT THEY WITNESS!!!

-the legend, the
Old 11-15-2014, 05:18 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by red rock
That's why I live in Pa. no front plate needed !!!
Its why i moved there!
PA doesn't even give you two plates. Good to know that podunk towns near the glen will pull you over anyways.......
Old 11-16-2014, 12:37 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

175 for no front plate?? Lmao.. What a blatant ripoff.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:46 PM
wfd1739
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
175 for no front plate?? Lmao.. What a blatant ripoff.
Wow. What a sham. Exorbitant taxes aren't enough I guess.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:31 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,019 Likes on 535 Posts

Awwww...there was a li ride and I kissed it? When was this?
Old 11-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

they have also done that for motorcycles a while back
Old 11-25-2014, 07:05 PM
Justified
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
Isn't New York the same state that indeed had "Marauding Bikers"
causing mayhem, injury, and death earlier this year?
Didn't the police get a real black eye on national network news for not somehow foreseeing this mess or at least reacting quickly to it and preventing it?

Fast forward.
Some Dudley Dooright in his minivan, likely doing 58 in the far left lane, while talking to his shrink on the phone, suddenly sees this band of shiny cars moving around him. Upon peeing his pants, summons the courage to make an illegal call on his cell phone, and sound like the guy describing the Hindenburg disaster to the 911 operator.
Police are summoned.
Police amass, and spot the caravan.
While observing no law breaking going on, it's too late to turn back now, especially after hearing the dastardly allegations of reckless driving, so over to the side they go.
Now, you and I might have left it at that, but remember the Hindenburg guy, and maybe you see why the police felt compelled to do something.
Police know that the plate ticket gives you no dreaded points, it only costs you some dough, which you obviously have too much of anyway if driving these cars.
So, the plate-less now become the moneyless!
After-all, you know the law, you break it anyway, so you are almost flaunting your lawless ways, and daring law enforcement to tag you on it.
They do, and end of story.
Err, except for the "whine".
I occasionally run without the front plate when in NCRS trim.
Was pulled over once, and was prepared for the ticket, but it never came. He simply said, display the plate. I know it stinks, but it's the law.
My point is, it is the law, and should I choose to break it, then I would be wrong to think I am not responsible for the consequences.
If everyone in the caravan had a front plate, you all would have been on your way to the winery with no more than an interesting story and a small delay.
We do not get to pick and choose which laws we obey, and which ones we don't without the consequences.
(Unless of course we are certain political figures or maybe an appointee here and there)
That is just not the way it works.
Law Enforcement knows that, and it's their job to do it.
They may even think it stinks, but that doesn't matter either, it's the law.
Hopefully you all had fun anyway!

Marty
NCRSZR1
95PACER
Old 12-11-2014, 09:19 AM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 384 Posts

I hope to be in NC or SC, or another free state, by the end of 2015 myself. Tired of the stupid laws, gun restrictions, high taxes, and crowds.

Best thing will be seeing "Welcome to New York" in my REAR view mirror for the last time.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:45 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Profiling is illegal in DeBlazio's police state. Next time remind them of that (they love that ****)

Get notified of new replies

To Vettes run wild on LIE

Old 01-07-2015, 10:49 PM
miltievette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Notninja
I drive the LIE daily. The stretch between exits 55-58 in both directions is what I would call an enforcement zone. The cops hang out there every day at least 5 cars. One yahoo cop likes to stand outside of his car along the center median and aim his radar gun like its his weapon.
Yeap, i met him. And he gave me an invite to traffic court.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:55 PM
FRED HAMBLE
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 6SPD98
HI!! How have you been. Saw Dennis last month. He mentioned you were there. I have been out of touch with the LI Forum group. Keep me posted on any wine tours. Be interested in going.
Fred
Old 01-14-2015, 06:16 PM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ragtop-yellow
HI!! How have you been. Saw Dennis last month. He mentioned you were there. I have been out of touch with the LI Forum group. Keep me posted on any wine tours. Be interested in going.
Fred

I try to get out of doing a winery tour each year.....but they won't let me. Winery tour usuallly in late October. Not many cars from the LI area, mostly old friends and some new ones from Westchester.

Quick Reply: Vettes run wild on LIE