Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

NY vanity license plate transfer question..

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:42 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default NY vanity license plate transfer question..

I'm selling my 2011 JCW Mini and replacing it with a Z07 Z06 (vin 27 ).

The thing is I very much want to have the vanity license plate that's on the Mini transferred over to the Z06.

I will likely have the Mini sold before the Z06 comes in.

Is there any way to do this? I don't care if there's extra fees or whatever...I just want to figure out a way to do this.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Best,
Gene

p.s. here's the Mini in case anyone is interested. http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...4592/overview/
Old 11-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

If it's anything like NJ it's an easy process, keep your plates, don't turn then in when you sell the Mini, keep registration as well, when your new car comes in give the registration paperwork to the dealer and they should handle the transfer for you with very minimal if any fee's. That's how we do it over here.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:52 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thank you for the reply. That's usually how I would do it. The difference in this situation is that the current owner on the Mini and the future owner on the Z06 will be different (despite my daily driving both of them)

Best,
Gene
Old 11-15-2014, 02:29 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Check in the DMV website.
If you sell your vehicle and terminate your insurance, your registration for that vehicle will be suspended.
I believe that you can notify DMV that you want to keep the plates to register another vehicle.
Insurance companies electronically notify DMV that the policy has been cancelled.
Good Luck, enjoy your Z.
http://dmv.ny.gov/
Old 11-16-2014, 10:54 AM
Muddbiker
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest a call to DMV. As bad as their reputation has been over the years, they have gotten much better. My wife looked into vanity plates prior to having her 2013 Camaro SS and they were great about reserving the plate over the phone with no hassles.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:08 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

All you have to do is bring your plates to DMV ( you can't cancel insurance on the mini until you do) and ask them to store them for you until the other car gets here.It used to cost a buck,not sure what it is now.You get a receipt.Then,when the Vette gets here,you take the title,insurance card and the receipt for the plates back to said DMV (same one the plates are at) and fill out the correct paperwork,mv 82 or mv 50,I forget which. Hand them to the clerk, pay the money,get the plates and reg and you're done.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Muddbiker
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
All you have to do is bring your plates to DMV ( you can't cancel insurance on the mini until you do) and ask them to store them for you until the other car gets here.
NY no longer takes back plates. You now dispose of them as you see fit. They stopped a couple of years ago.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:54 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Maybe so but he wants to keep them so they may still store them.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:48 PM
s200
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

NY will still store vanity plates for you. $1 to surrender them and tell them you want them stored. They will keep them for just over a year before they will destroy them. I do it every winter when I take the Z06 off of the road.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:32 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by s200
NY will still store vanity plates for you. $1 to surrender them and tell them you want them stored. They will keep them for just over a year before they will destroy them. I do it every winter when I take the Z06 off of the road.
I did that with my bike, I sold the bike and took the vanity plate to the DMV, they stored it and gave me a receipt, I THOUGHT they said they would store it for 6 months. Anyway, when I got the new bike I went to DMV to try and get the plate back so I could give it to the dealer, they said no dice, the dealer had to register it and then I had to bring that plate and registration in and swap for my plate. Dealer charged me $170-$180, whatever it was to register the bike with the new plate, fees I think they call them. I went to DMV and asked about a credit for the money the dealer charged me, no dice again, they said I had to have the plate (dealer issued) a year before I could receive a credit so I wound up paying the dealer their sum and paid DMV again...crooks!
Old 11-24-2014, 03:38 PM
NOMRW8NG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phantasms
The difference in this situation is that the current owner on the Mini and the future owner on the Z06 will be different
Do you mean just the title will be in a different name or also the registration? Because if the latter, then I think you're out of luck -- I don't think you can transfer a plate between owners. I think the name on the title and the name on the registration can be different, so if you title in the other name but register in the same name as the Mini you may be ok.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:03 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks for all the replies. Yes the issue wasn't so much as putting it on hold but of transferring it to a different registration name.

Well good news....for me at least. In NY it can be done!

I'll sell car. Turn plates into DMV and have them hold plates. Get Z06 and register it (different name than Mini) and get standard plates for it. I'll then write a letter to DMV as mini owner and state I'm giving my plates which are on hold to Z06 owner and include copy of registration. Cut and check and bam boom bang....plate is transferred to a different car and different owner.

Thanks for all the help!

Best,
Gene

Get notified of new replies

To NY vanity license plate transfer question..

Quick Reply: NY vanity license plate transfer question..