Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Perspective buyer looking from some help from the community!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:48 PM
NJMICP131211
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Perspective buyer looking from some help from the community!

Hello Everyone!!

First off, my name is Dan. Ill keep this pretty short and sweet as im sure you didnt come here to read my life story. Im a 26 year old career Paramedic that has always been a car enthusiast. My father has a 1967 Corvette Stringray so Ive spent my entire life around Corvettes and Ive always had a dream of owning my own. Well after finishing school, I finally want to make that dream a reality.

Now Im not here to ask for a personal assistant or buddy to hold my hand through this experience but Ive always been very impressed by the Corvette community's ease of approach and willingness to help, and thought this would be a good first place to start my research into what I want to be my perfect purchase for life.

What I am looking for is some advice. Im looking to buy a C6 and have a budget of =/< 30k. I live in North NJ, specifically Morris County.

Are there any dealers to AVOID or any dealers to keep my eye open at?
Is there anything specific to the C6's that I should look out for when buying?
Is there a year thats been known as "better" or "worse" than another?
Etc, etc.?

I have been reading and searching articles all over the internet but just wanted to get some advice from the community that is in the area. Sorry in advance if this isnt the proper place to post this. And thanks in advance for all of your help! Drive safe and drive fun! Happy Holidays!
Old 12-31-2014, 07:19 AM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Welcome to the Forum.
Also post this question in the C6 General Discussion, you will get more responses.
Before going to a dealer, search for private owners looking to sell. A lot of dealers are low balling C6 trades for C7 and owners may be looking to sell privately.
Look in the C6 for sale section also and compare prices versus Kelly Blue Book.
I had an 08 LS3 Auto with the Z51 option and I loved the car. I owned it for 5 years before I sold it here on the Forum.
In addition to conducting Internet searches, search here in the Forum.
Good Luck with your search.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:42 AM
NJMICP131211
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jacquesc6
Welcome to the Forum.
Also post this question in the C6 General Discussion, you will get more responses.
Before going to a dealer, search for private owners looking to sell. A lot of dealers are low balling C6 trades for C7 and owners may be looking to sell privately.
Look in the C6 for sale section also and compare prices versus Kelly Blue Book.
I had an 08 LS3 Auto with the Z51 option and I loved the car. I owned it for 5 years before I sold it here on the Forum.
In addition to conducting Internet searches, search here in the Forum.
Good Luck with your search.
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the advice! Ill keep doing my reading and Ill also throw this thread in the Gen. Disc. area.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:45 PM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Hey Dan,
Welcome! You've made the right choice by looking to buy a C6 Vette. I can't comment on pricing or value of the base, however, I would suggest you drive them and make sure it's what you want.
I'm in Bergen County, also 26, so once you find one reach out so we could get together in the spring for some Vette meets.
I would suggest driving a Z06 and possibly financing/budgeting to make room for one. Nothing like a Z06...
Old 01-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Test driving is a must. There are big differences between specimens. Your budget looks realistic for a C6. My budget was lower ($25k) and I wanted a convertible, so I bought a C5. If I had more money to spend, I would have gotten the C6. Those who own newer models will advise you to try to get a 2008 or later; those who own the earlier models will tell you that they are just fine too.

I looked for a garage queen for sale by a private owner. It was a very satisfactory way to proceed, and I'd suggest you give it a try.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Dan....each of us here could probably write a book on what to look for, what to pay, what to avoid, etc, etc, but my suggestion would be to attend some of the Corvette club meetings & for sure you'll get all your questions answered face to face. The clubs are also a great source for well cared for Vettes for sale. I lived in north Jersey for many years & two clubs that immediately come to mind are the Natural Glass Corvette Association which meets at the VFW Hall in Morris Plains & the North Jersey Corvette Club which meets at Lombardi's Restaurant in Fairfield. You can find their websites on the 'net. Good luck with your search.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:23 PM
NJMICP131211
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The_Ruski_Driver
Hey Dan,
Welcome! You've made the right choice by looking to buy a C6 Vette. I can't comment on pricing or value of the base, however, I would suggest you drive them and make sure it's what you want.
I'm in Bergen County, also 26, so once you find one reach out so we could get together in the spring for some Vette meets.
I would suggest driving a Z06 and possibly financing/budgeting to make room for one. Nothing like a Z06...
Originally Posted by Koufax
Test driving is a must. There are big differences between specimens. Your budget looks realistic for a C6. My budget was lower ($25k) and I wanted a convertible, so I bought a C5. If I had more money to spend, I would have gotten the C6. Those who own newer models will advise you to try to get a 2008 or later; those who own the earlier models will tell you that they are just fine too.

I looked for a garage queen for sale by a private owner. It was a very satisfactory way to proceed, and I'd suggest you give it a try.
Originally Posted by Dave S
Dan....each of us here could probably write a book on what to look for, what to pay, what to avoid, etc, etc, but my suggestion would be to attend some of the Corvette club meetings & for sure you'll get all your questions answered face to face. The clubs are also a great source for well cared for Vettes for sale. I lived in north Jersey for many years & two clubs that immediately come to mind are the Natural Glass Corvette Association which meets at the VFW Hall in Morris Plains & the North Jersey Corvette Club which meets at Lombardi's Restaurant in Fairfield. You can find their websites on the 'net. Good luck with your search.
Again, thank all of you for your knowledge and suggestions! Ruski, Im definitely going to take a few test drives before I just jump into this. I actually have an appointment to see two separate 2005s this wednesday, fingers crossed! And if this does happen, Ill be in touch this summer! Koufax, I would ideally like to find a private seller to buy from over dealers but unfortunately I have a vehicle that I am going to be trading for this and I honestly dont want to go through all of the trouble of finding a seller for my car. But, that may change! Dave S, thanks for the suggestion of the clubs. My dad was a member of the Natural Glass many years ago, so It may be time to head back there with him. Ill keep you guys posted with what happens! Thanks everyone!
Old 01-05-2015, 09:57 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're getting a manual hold out for a TR6060 (2008 and newer I believe). They are out there for $30k. Just the other day someone sent me a link to a 2009 with 24k miles listed at a dealer for $30.9k but it was in the Chicago area.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:10 PM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

05s will be cheaper for a reason, and so will 06-07s... like they said, go for the TR6060 if you can swing it. You get the LS3 with that as well, both well worth the premium entry fee IMO.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:09 PM
meinersk
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If you buy from a dealer for 30,000 that just means you could have bought it for 25,000 private..I bought my z06 off e bay for 41,000 and had it flatbedded for 500 I got a really nice deal..If you need help shopping u can call me and I will look online with you and tell you a lot about each car.. If you are going to make it faster later? buy it modded now its the same price ..Drag? roadcourse? Who are the best tuners and who are the hacks? what mods are worth something and which are not much? pm me if u want
Old 01-08-2015, 09:01 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 670 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

As a C5Z owner I have no skin in this game for the C6, but I would highly recommend the 2008 or newer model years. The later you go in the generation production run the more refinement that has been done by GM. Final year cars historically hold value too, think 1955, 1967, 1982, 1996 and even the 2004 if optioned correctly.

What are your plans with the car? Daily driver, weekend cruiser, track rat? All that should play into your decision, for the options and transmission that you want. The Corvette Black Book is a great resource on what options were produced for any given year, it would be worth it to buy a copy. If you are looking for a specific color combination that will help with the production numbers as well.

If it's a coupe, look for one with two tops, just nice to have both of them. No matter what you look at, check out the tires, and not just the tread depth. Ask if they are original tires, if you find a 2008 model with original tires, you will most likely need to replace them.

Z51 and magnetic shocks are two options to look for that will bring a premium. You are looking a good time to buy as well, when it's 20 degrees outside!

Good Luck and be sure to post some pictures once you find the Corvette of your dreams.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:14 PM
NJMICP131211
Intermediate

Originally Posted by troyguitar
If you're getting a manual hold out for a TR6060 (2008 and newer I believe). They are out there for $30k. Just the other day someone sent me a link to a 2009 with 24k miles listed at a dealer for $30.9k but it was in the Chicago area.
Originally Posted by The_Ruski_Driver
05s will be cheaper for a reason, and so will 06-07s... like they said, go for the TR6060 if you can swing it. You get the LS3 with that as well, both well worth the premium entry fee IMO.
Troy and Ruski, 30K is really the absolute top of my budget right at this time, but also not out of my budget. But I appreciate the advice about the TR6060 and LS3!! Im in no real rush to buy and would rather find the PERFECT car over the car that will be in my driveway the fastest.

Originally Posted by meinersk
If you buy from a dealer for 30,000 that just means you could have bought it for 25,000 private..I bought my z06 off e bay for 41,000 and had it flatbedded for 500 I got a really nice deal..If you need help shopping u can call me and I will look online with you and tell you a lot about each car.. If you are going to make it faster later? buy it modded now its the same price ..Drag? roadcourse? Who are the best tuners and who are the hacks? what mods are worth something and which are not much? pm me if u want
Meinersk, I know the negatives about buying from a dealer and its really not the most ideal way I would have wanted to buy but I would also be trading in a newer car that I dont want to go through the hassles of selling privately. Again though, that may change in time. Thanks for the offer about helping sort through some of the potentials I see, I can promise you Ill be taking you up on that offer! My plans in the future would be to modify it but I would like to keep the car street. Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2015, 10:38 PM
NJMICP131211
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zipity
As a C5Z owner I have no skin in this game for the C6, but I would highly recommend the 2008 or newer model years. The later you go in the generation production run the more refinement that has been done by GM. Final year cars historically hold value too, think 1955, 1967, 1982, 1996 and even the 2004 if optioned correctly.

What are your plans with the car? Daily driver, weekend cruiser, track rat? All that should play into your decision, for the options and transmission that you want. The Corvette Black Book is a great resource on what options were produced for any given year, it would be worth it to buy a copy. If you are looking for a specific color combination that will help with the production numbers as well.

If it's a coupe, look for one with two tops, just nice to have both of them. No matter what you look at, check out the tires, and not just the tread depth. Ask if they are original tires, if you find a 2008 model with original tires, you will most likely need to replace them.

Z51 and magnetic shocks are two options to look for that will bring a premium. You are looking a good time to buy as well, when it's 20 degrees outside!

Good Luck and be sure to post some pictures once you find the Corvette of your dreams.
Zipity, thanks for the reply also! My plans with whatever car I finally end up with would be to keep it as a weekend cruiser since I have a jeep that I can daily drive. I also would want to do modifications for power, handling and aesthetics down the line. Im definitely set on the M6 and a coupe. Did the coupe's always come originally with two tops? Ive seen the Z51 package on a few here and there but it seems like they are a lot less common than not. Either way Ill definitely try to keep my eye on those too! Without a doubt, there will be tons of pictures of said dream Corvette!

http://www.ayerschevrolet.com/Vehicl...-NJ/2298898463

^^Thats the link from what I went to go check out today!
Old 01-10-2015, 05:43 AM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Originally Posted by NJMICP131211
Zipity, thanks for the reply also! My plans with whatever car I finally end up with would be to keep it as a weekend cruiser since I have a jeep that I can daily drive. I also would want to do modifications for power, handling and aesthetics down the line. Im definitely set on the M6 and a coupe. Did the coupe's always come originally with two tops? Ive seen the Z51 package on a few here and there but it seems like they are a lot less common than not. Either way Ill definitely try to keep my eye on those too! Without a doubt, there will be tons of pictures of said dream Corvette!

http://www.ayerschevrolet.com/Vehicl...-NJ/2298898463

^^Thats the link from what I went to go check out today!
Two tops and Z51 package are both options. If the car comes with a painted top and you want to get the glass top, you can always find one either used or new.
If the Z51 package is something you are looking for, buy the car with the option. It is nearly impossible and expensive to truly convert to one. This package eventually became the Grand Sport.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:11 PM
meinersk
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NJMICP131211
Troy and Ruski, 30K is really the absolute top of my budget right at this time, but also not out of my budget. But I appreciate the advice about the TR6060 and LS3!! Im in no real rush to buy and would rather find the PERFECT car over the car that will be in my driveway the fastest.

Meinersk, I know the negatives about buying from a dealer and its really not the most ideal way I would have wanted to buy but I would also be trading in a newer car that I dont want to go through the hassles of selling privately. Again though, that may change in time. Thanks for the offer about helping sort through some of the potentials I see, I can promise you Ill be taking you up on that offer! My plans in the future would be to modify it but I would like to keep the car street. Thanks again!
If you plan to mod BUY IT MODDED NOW.......I bought mine with 14,000 in hp mods..In 7 months I put another 7,000 in exterior ,interior and hp mods..And in 2 months going for another 7,000 in hp mods...If I knew better before I would have bought a more heavy modded car to start with...There are cars with 30,000 in mods going for 4,000 over stock...I wish I knew before...Dealers sometimes have a hard time selling modded cars because people are afraid ...Play dumb and SCARED O SO SCARED to get best price...lol
Old 01-12-2015, 07:11 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I have a 2008 c6 z51 with npp....I had two tops and got rid of the solid one. For me it wasn't necessary.

Great car! I have 84k miles of trouble free use. I garage the cars and just enjoy the hell out of them as they are great daily drivers.

I wouldn't be afraid of mileage and I would suggest mostly stock. The cars are fast enough as they come. If you want more speed...then just buy a z06 or ZR1 to start with.

The only thing I can think of is I changed the battery about every 27k miles. The cool part is I bought them at the dealership so out of the four the car has had....I think I only paid for one...the others were covered under warranty. I believe the m2w switch did a slow drain..

So if over time you ever see a "service active handling or some other message on the driver information center....more often than not...it's the battery voltage as it sends screwy messages ....weirdest thing....get a new battery and all the issues go away..

Great car...obviously do a vin number check on service history of vehicle...as it gives good insight to how the vehicle was cared for....

Check car fax for accidents....and I will say buying private does offer good insight to the previous owner which traditionally I find quite invaluable..

If buying from a dealer and you've got the time...then follow one of the local corvette sellers from this forum and do an in and out where you buy his car from the dealer he is trading it into...he gets the tax break and you would as well trading in a car...throw the dealer an extra 500 for each car and he should do the paperwork. Not sure about your cars trade in value though...that's usually an area of contention...

How ever you move forward....I would suggest a grand sport manual coupe over a slimmer coupe if you can swing the few extra dollars...

Just has a few goodies like a dry sump oiling system and the wider tires etc...

Might make more sense to sell your car yourself and or wait a little longer to accumulate a few more bucks...

The 2010 grand sport always impressed me...or if you don't need roof off motoring...get a z06....

Have fun!
Old 02-15-2015, 07:23 AM
NJMICP131211
Intermediate

Well, I found my dream car! Just yesterday I brought home a 2005 Daytona Sunset Orange Corvette. I was really trying to keep my eyes open for the 08+ Z51/Z06 option'd cars but I came across this one and it was a steal. Anyway, I wanted to thank you all for your input and suggestions and I hope to meet some of you in person at cruises! Now if only this damn snow would stop haha.

Get notified of new replies

To Perspective buyer looking from some help from the community!

Old 02-15-2015, 08:36 AM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Congratulations. Very nice. Now just park it in a garage and look at it because this weather sucks.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:21 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 670 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Great Color and congratulations on your first Corvette
Old 01-22-2019, 07:47 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Best advice I can give you? If you can afford it, get a C7. Every time I take mine out I have it in the back of my mind that I won't make it home without some kinda issue.

Quick Reply: Perspective buyer looking from some help from the community!