Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

NJ state inspection at a state run facility

Old 04-10-2015, 06:03 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,528 Likes on 521 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default NJ state inspection at a state run facility

Hello,

Will my car with no front plate and tinted windows pass inspection? I know they changed what they inspect now, and basically just check for codes I think.

Car is a 2013, so its not old or anything.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:29 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 668 Likes on 290 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

as long as they can plug into your under dash port you should be just fine. But watch for the police that may be working at the station, you see them there from time to time, as they could easily issue a ticket to you for the windows or lack of front plate. My cammed Z06 passed with headers and all, no front plate and tinted windows as well. Pull in with the windows down.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:45 PM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

My C4 passed NJ state inspection with tinted windows, no front plate and reverse lights that don't work. No problem.

I wouldn't go back to the state run inspection, though... the guys couldn't figure out how to close my car's hood, so they decided brute force was the answer and they damaged my clutch. Idiots.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:07 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,528 Likes on 521 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by TractionControlOff
My C4 passed NJ state inspection with tinted windows, no front plate and reverse lights that don't work. No problem.

I wouldn't go back to the state run inspection, though... the guys couldn't figure out how to close my car's hood, so they decided brute force was the answer and they damaged my clutch. Idiots.
what a bunch of jerkoffs. I wont be letting that happen.... but thank you guys for both your responses. I will report back with my results that should be fine
Old 04-11-2015, 06:50 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Go to a private inspection station.

That's what i did on my other car. I had a front plate but tinted windows. When i pulled up the guy told me, "ohhhhh man tinted windows.......".

And i was like dude, "i'll roll them down, pretend you just never saw them", and laughed about it lol. And he was like, yeah that's true lol. And he proceeded. I paid 60 bucks and i was on my way.

I know state is free but if you have tinted windows and what not, sometimes it pays to go to a private inspection place.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:54 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I haven't ever had a problem at a state run inspection station, no front plate, headers, cammed, drilled out cats, emissions were fine. Good luck
Old 04-12-2015, 09:49 AM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
what a bunch of jerkoffs. I wont be letting that happen.... but thank you guys for both your responses. I will report back with my results that should be fine
Old 04-12-2015, 10:21 AM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

NJ only tests for emissions now. As long as your CEL isn't on and there are no other codes activated, you can roll in there with bald tires, tinted windows, no front plate, no lights, squeaking brakes, cracked windshield, etc. and you'll still pass. I have a cam and headers w/cats and this past time they popped my hood then looked underneath for cats. They saw they were there and rolled me through. I also have no front plate and tinted windows/lights. I believe that is the 3rd inspection I've had with my current build (although this was the 1st time they looked for cats) and no issues either time.

I understand being nervous but I can't see going to a private garage and paying for a free service, that technically as a tax payer you've already paid for. I'm no more than 20' away when they're inspecting my car so I can offer guidance if they're having issues with anything. So far I haven't had any trouble taking my Vette or my truck through state inspection facilities. They both have tint, no front plate, and headers w/cats.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:12 AM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by 5knives
NJ only tests for emissions now. As long as your CEL isn't on and there are no other codes activated, you can roll in there with bald tires, tinted windows, no front plate, no lights, squeaking brakes, cracked windshield, etc. and you'll still pass. I have a cam and headers w/cats and this past time they popped my hood then looked underneath for cats. They saw they were there and rolled me through. I also have no front plate and tinted windows/lights. I believe that is the 3rd inspection I've had with my current build (although this was the 1st time they looked for cats) and no issues either time.

I understand being nervous but I can't see going to a private garage and paying for a free service, that technically as a tax payer you've already paid for. I'm no more than 20' away when they're inspecting my car so I can offer guidance if they're having issues with anything. So far I haven't had any trouble taking my Vette or my truck through state inspection facilities. They both have tint, no front plate, and headers w/cats.
100% I've experienced the exact same thing (looking for the ARH hi flow cats) but as others have stated no CEL, the ability to plug into the OBD2 port, and physical cats and you're good to go.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:15 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

I've been thru the state inspection station off Rt. 70 in Lakewood with headers, hi-flow cats & no front plate.....no problem! As others has noted, as long as the CEL is not lit & you pass the tail pipe sniffer test, you're good to go.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:11 AM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah I have had tints on like 10 cars and it passes. They might frown at it but I also frown at their inability to smoothly operate a stick shift. Basically the only way you can fail is with a CEL

Also what is a "front plate"?
Old 04-14-2015, 11:09 PM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Ruski_Driver
I also frown at their inability to smoothly operate a stick shift.

Originally Posted by The_Ruski_Driver
Also what is a "front plate"?

Get notified of new replies

To NJ state inspection at a state run facility

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NJ state inspection at a state run facility