Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

NJ Collector vs Historic reg

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 10:26 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Default NJ Collector vs Historic reg

The wifes 89 is having a harder time going through inspection, so I think it is time to look into my options. Does anyone in Jersey have any experience/opinions on Collector or Historic plates ? The Historic ones seem to be easier to get, but with more restrictions. Collector plates have greater flexibility, but are for "limited production" cars only. Does the Vette qualify ?
Old 08-18-2015, 12:16 AM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
The wifes 89 is having a harder time going through inspection, so I think it is time to look into my options. Does anyone in Jersey have any experience/opinions on Collector or Historic plates ? The Historic ones seem to be easier to get, but with more restrictions. Collector plates have greater flexibility, but are for "limited production" cars only. Does the Vette qualify ?

First of all, I would get the '89 inspected privately - it will cost you $60-70 or so, but as long as the car doesn't show any codes, it should pass. As far as collector vs. historic, I assume you mean collector car insurance? C4s definitely qualify for both - historic plates (QQs) have nothing to do with collector car insurance.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:42 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by TractionControlOff
First of all, I would get the '89 inspected privately - it will cost you $60-70 or so, but as long as the car doesn't show any codes, it should pass. As far as collector vs. historic, I assume you mean collector car insurance? C4s definitely qualify for both - historic plates (QQs) have nothing to do with collector car insurance.
Anything 95 and down has to go under the sniffer, no CEL is only for OBD II 96 and newer. I just don't want to deal with the hassle of finding "a guy" for a car that is not driven all that much. I can get collector insurance with no problems, but for the Collector plates the DMV wants some kind of "limited production" proof.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Collector Vehicle program is for cars less then 25 years old so you don't qualify. Your only option is Historic. If you car is not used a s a daily driver then that is the way to go.
A one time registration fee of $44 for life. You need to reregister every three years but it is free.

Get notified of new replies

To NJ Collector vs Historic reg

Quick Reply: NJ Collector vs Historic reg