Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Carlisle advice

Old 01-11-2016, 10:07 AM
nex96
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GS Diva
How is this for being on the field EARLY??!! There was no sunrise yet...just the lighting on the field!! That was probably about 5:30 a.m.!!

Elaine

Old 01-12-2016, 04:52 PM
JoeD-C8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Fun field pass secured. I spoke to someone at Carlisle yesterday who told me that setting up a tent to reserve your spot for the next day was not allowed. Maybe that has changed?
Old 01-12-2016, 06:36 PM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeD-C7
Fun field pass secured. I spoke to someone at Carlisle yesterday who told me that setting up a tent to reserve your spot for the next day was not allowed. Maybe that has changed?
You cannot put up a tent and then expect the parking space in front of the tent to be reserved all day without you being there. You can put up the tent (and lower it before you leave) but you had better be on the field EARLY in the morning. The tent is not going to promise you a spot in front of it. That's one reason we are on the field EARLY!!!

Elaine
Old 01-12-2016, 07:32 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by GS Diva
You cannot put up a tent and then expect the parking space in front of the tent to be reserved all day without you being there. You can put up the tent (and lower it before you leave) but you had better be on the field EARLY in the morning. The tent is not going to promise you a spot in front of it. That's one reason we are on the field EARLY!!!

Elaine
EXACTLY! You can't put one up on Wednesday or Thursday, let it there overnight, and then show up at noon or later the next day and then get mad because someone is parked in front of it. When the weather is good and the place is full, anything goes when it comes to parking after around 10 a.m. I've seen fights between people because someone parked in front of someone else's tent, but it was early afternoon before they showed up. You're also not allowed to put stakes and tape up or run tape between chairs to reserve a spot either. Best advice is to get there early, before 8 a.m. if you have a tent up. We've never had an issue (except one year) but we try to be responsible and respectful of everyone else.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:56 AM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We take our c6, and our suv out there for parts. We just leave our vette on the fairgrounds all weekend.

We're are you located?
Old 07-22-2016, 04:59 PM
dgree03
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. This year (2016) is our first visit to Carlisle. Already purchased the Fun Field pass plus the parade entry. Arriving on Thursday night.

Does this pass do get us anything on Friday or just the weekend?
Old 07-22-2016, 07:15 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

The show starts on Thursday . Your pass gets you everything for all 4 days, starting Thursday. You'll get your windshield sticker and letter in the mail within the next couple of weeks. You'll put your sticker in the upper left (drivers side) corner of your windshield. This is all you'll need to enter the showfield at Gate 3. Bring your letter with you and take it to the Customer Services building by the grandstand to pick up your goodie bag and t shirt. Since you're not coming till Friday, I suggest you get on the fairgrounds by 6:30 a.m. on Friday and find a spot. Most people will already have spots staked out with tents so try and find one that doesn't have a tent in front of it. Check the event map too before parking. There are a lot of areas that are reserved and you can't park there. But don't worry. There's plenty of parking. If you have a pop up canopy you can actually get on the grounds Thursday night and put it up if you want to. You have to enter at gate 3 to do that and have your sticker on. And if you have a canopy, be sure to bring BIG stakes for it, not those little things that come with it. It can get stormy and windy. Put it down at night. You can let it there safely for the weekend. Nobody will bother it.

Last edited by USA1 427; 07-22-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:37 AM
JoeD-C8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I am getting the general idea. Got the reserved spot, canopy tent, big stakes, seats and collapsable cooler.

Given the fact that most here have been to Carlisle before, what additions should I add to my must have list? My wife will also be there. So input from the ladies perspective would be appreciated as well!
Old 07-25-2016, 12:27 PM
dgree03
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. I signed up for the funfield. I understand that gets me a spot but not not a specfic reserved spot. I see that we need to come early to claim a spot each day. Do i have this right?
Old 07-25-2016, 12:37 PM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dgree03
Ok. I signed up for the funfield. I understand that gets me a spot but not not a specfic reserved spot. I see that we need to come early to claim a spot each day. Do i have this right?
Yep!

Elaine
Old 07-25-2016, 12:39 PM
GS Diva
Safety Car

I am getting the general idea. Got the reserved spot, canopy tent, big stakes, seats and collapsable cooler.

Given the fact that most here have been to Carlisle before, what additions should I add to my must have list? My wife will also be there. So input from the ladies perspective would be appreciated as well!
Add umbrellas, good walking shoes, sunscreen. As far as ladies stuff, I'm probably not the woman to address that question! I'm just like one of the Corvette guys!

Elaine
Old 07-25-2016, 01:08 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

MONEY! You're going to find a mess of stuff you just can't live without.
There is a ladies tent on the fairgrounds that she can visit and there's normally a bus that she can sign up for to take her shopping in Carlisle. There are plenty of restrooms. And there's a tram that rides all around the grounds for when you get tired of walking. My wife has a bad knee so that's a saving grace for her.
Fill up your cooler at the hotel in the morning, or you can buy ice at the food stand. One more thing. When you get there and get your canopy up, you can leave it and your chairs there overnight. Just either drop or remove the canvas top at night. Nobody will bother anything. And even though you have a canopy up, that still doesn't guarantee your spot. After 10 a.m. all bets are off. So if you come after that time and find someone else parked there, you'll have to find another spot. We're usually there around 6 for sunrise and breakfast and to watch everyone pour in and to wipe down my car
Old 07-25-2016, 01:11 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dgree03
Early..........like before 8 a.m. Elaine is there before sunrise. I'm there not long after. If the weather is good, it will be nearly full by 9 a.m.
The following users liked this post:
GS Diva (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 01:40 PM
zblkr1
Instructor

if you are going for just the weekend, Get down friday night and show up saturday morning (fun field) and leave sunday. What are the chances of there not being much room on the fun field since thursday and friday will have already passed and people will have a ton of claimed spots?
Old 07-25-2016, 03:24 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,081 Likes on 655 Posts

A must do at Carlisle is to go the the American Racing headers booth in installers alley and get a set of headers installed, then I'll tune it for you as soon as they are done.

Best part of going to the show!! Although it's possible that I am biased.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:32 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

For someone in need.......

I have a reserved Fun Field parking spot for sale at the original price.
Space IC 52.

My Corvette will not be reassembled in time for Carlisle, so I won't be using it.
This year I'll just be a spectator.

Send me a PM if interested.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:47 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Subfixer
For someone in need.......

I have a reserved Fun Field parking spot for sale at the original price.
Space IC 52.

My Corvette will not be reassembled in time for Carlisle, so I won't be using it.
This year I'll just be a spectator.

Send me a PM if interested.
How'd you get your number already? DANG!

Get notified of new replies

To Carlisle advice

Old 07-26-2016, 01:23 PM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

It depends what your wife likes to do?? My wife comes out, but she is into cars. They do have a huge women's oasis tent there. They do shuttles to the local outlets as well. My wife spends about an he in the oasis tent. She really loves the swap meet. I look for car parts, but her and my daughter look for other things like toys, shirts, Nick knacks, and other things. They really have just about anything out there. If she likes going to flea markets/yard sales, she will have a blast.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:45 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 376 Likes on 284 Posts

My wife purchased us a 4 day week-end pass, got rooms reserved. I am now looking for advice to make the experience more enjoyable. Was thinking about the parade tickets, also the fun field passes, which I believe allows for closer parking.
Any recommendations will be appreciated!

To all members here have a great new year!
I drove my 4Runner, camped in a tent, parked at the fire station, and went home with a load of parts.

Contemplating trying to camp with the vette but not sure if it will hold a 10x10 canopy - I have a FRC...
Old 07-26-2016, 05:33 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1 427
How'd you get your number already? DANG!
A group of us reserved our spots back in March.
Tickets haven't arrived yet, but pass will be available when they come in the mail.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carlisle advice