Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Awesome Fake Genesis Concert January 17

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Default Awesome Fake Genesis Concert January 17

Any Prog Rock lovers out there? Mrs. Atomic and I are going to this concert next Sunday. We have seen this group several times – they ARE original (Peter Gabriel era) Genesis. It is enthralling and uncanny: https://tickets.thegrandwilmington.o...il.aspx?p=4155

Apparently, tix are still available. While we would not all be sitting together, the show experience is such you won’t take your eyes off the stage for a second anyway. Nor will you want to engage in many conversations during the show.

If you decide to go, let me know. Perhaps we could meet for dinner beforehand and/or have a beer after…
Old 01-08-2016, 09:49 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Any Prog Rock lovers out there? Mrs. Atomic and I are going to this concert next Sunday. We have seen this group several times – they ARE original (Peter Gabriel era) Genesis. It is enthralling and uncanny: https://tickets.thegrandwilmington.o...il.aspx?p=4155

Apparently, tix are still available. While we would not all be sitting together, the show experience is such you won’t take your eyes off the stage for a second anyway. Nor will you want to engage in many conversations during the show.

If you decide to go, let me know. Perhaps we could meet for dinner beforehand and/or have a beer after…
I've grown to like cover bands over the years, and I'm tough on grading them in quality..Get the Led Out, and The Machine are good examples. Let's face it, when we DO buy into most of the rock concerts from the bands we've all grown up with (and they DO tour) they are comprised of one or two original members anyway (IE; Foreigner without Lou Gramm just isn't right). I also like the era of the origins of Genesis...the Genesis of Genesis if you will (Selling England by the Pound.....Firth of Firth etc.) A few years ago the Wife and I caught The J Geils Band with J Geils, AND Peter Wolf, along with Magic Dick in The Borgata that was just great!

Last edited by Ol'55; 01-08-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:21 AM
MARKRUBYRED
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a huge early Genesis fan and saw the ultimate concert last year when Steve Hackett, lead guitarist, came to Washington DC. Was second row, center and it was probably one of the most enjoyable concerts ever. I have also seen "The Musical Box" three times, but again, a cover or tribute band. JHMO, but Steve Hackett was Genesis.....his solo in Firth of Fifth was and still is the greatest.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:18 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MARKRUBYRED
I am a huge early Genesis fan and saw the ultimate concert last year when Steve Hackett, lead guitarist, came to Washington DC. Was second row, center and it was probably one of the most enjoyable concerts ever. I have also seen "The Musical Box" three times, but again, a cover or tribute band. JHMO, but Steve Hackett was Genesis.....his solo in Firth of Fifth was and still is the greatest.
Agree about that solo. Nothing technically amazing, but every stinking note is perfect, and the beauty builds until it is almost painful.

Of course they are a tribute band. But, like you I have seen them a few times. When I go back and look at the old Genesis YouTubes, I am struck how perfectly they capture the sound, look and feel. "Watcher" literally gave me chills, and will again Sunday night. I believe the Genesis guys actually endorsed Musical Box, which I never heard of in any other tribute band. When they do the "Selling" show, their guitarist nails that solo perfectly.

Another thing about Hackett. The only time I ever saw them live was in Philly, right after PG left. Hackett was still with them, and the "Collinsization" had not yet occured. They were doing "Trick of the Tail" and some of the older stuff. Phenomenal show; Hackett and Collins were great. Barely missed Gabriel at that point -- but it got worse; much worse

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 01-14-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:15 PM
MARKRUBYRED
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Agree about that solo. Nothing technically amazing, but every stinking note is perfect, and the beauty builds until it is almost painful.

Of course they are a tribute band. But, like you I have seen them a few times. When I go back and look at the old Genesis YouTubes, I am struck how perfectly they capture the sound, look and feel. "Watcher" literally gave me chills, and will again Sunday night. I believe the Genesis guys actually endorsed Musical Box, which I never heard of in any other tribute band. When they do the "Selling" show, their guitarist nails that solo perfectly.

Another thing about Hackett. The only time I ever saw them live was in Philly, right after PG left. Hackett was still with them, and the "Collinsization" had not yet occured. They were doing "Trick of the Tail" and some of the older stuff. Phenomenal show; Hackett and Collins were great. Barely missed Gabriel at that point -- but it got worse; much worse
I wish I could meet up with you, but can't make the show on Sunday. Enjoy The Musical Box since they capture every aspect of a live Genesis concert, including PG outfits and narration of each song. Although SEPTP is one of my favorite Genesis albums, (Cinema Show, Firth of Fifth) I am a huge fan of Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering. If you get a chance, there is a documentary on Showtime of Genesis and all the guys are together in a great interview, pointing fingers at Tony Banks for stirring the pot and always getting his way. Once I saw Hackett live, I realized he was the heart and soul of my favorite Genesis songs. Enjoy the show and post when you get a chance
Old 01-18-2016, 04:13 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Great show; if anybody saw it check in,

If they knocked down the instruments just a few dBs, and kicked up fake PG's mic a touch, it would have been perfect.

Get notified of new replies

To Awesome Fake Genesis Concert January 17

Quick Reply: Awesome Fake Genesis Concert January 17