Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Rear differential ''leaky butt'' fix?? output shaft? North NJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 02:16 PM
danny99
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear differential ''leaky butt'' fix?? output shaft? North NJ

Anyone willing to help out here in north NJ? Bergen County..

I can't afford the dealer price.. I'm in my late 20s and this is my first vette ('02) and they're trying to railroad me at paramus chevy.

I have the link fix here:

http://web.archive.org/web/201012091...tshaftseal.htm

Output shaft seal is leaking..I have gear fluid all over the suspension and rear fascia of the car.. not sure if there's anyone out here that's experienced and can do this fix for me?? I'd be happy to compensate with a few hundred dollars along with pizza and cold beer . I've only had this car for less than a week by the way.. I'm taking it to a friend tonight to get his thoughts and see if he can fix it possibly..

Last edited by danny99; 04-19-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:23 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

One side or both? PM sent.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:26 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
One side or both? PM sent.
From the ones that I have seen it's usually the drivers side, but can be from either of two sources. The most frequent being the output shaft seal itself, the other being the silicone seal around the large casting of the bearing carrier. either way I'd send it to East Cost Supercharging or RPM given the location of the owner. This is one of the more important inspections when looking at a C5 for sale to either walk away, or to use in negotiations. Let's face it these cars are far from perfectly engineered, and DO have a slew of common to the marque failures to watch out for. I've been very lucky with our bought new 2002 vert in this department. If the bottom of the car is that covered in oil it may be hard to diagnose without cleaning the car on a lift? Best of a good repair to the OP.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear differential ''leaky butt'' fix?? output shaft? North NJ

Quick Reply: Rear differential ''leaky butt'' fix?? output shaft? North NJ