Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Class Glass Vette Show & Swap Meet

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 04:10 PM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

Default Class Glass Vette Show & Swap Meet

Anyone going? I know the numbers are down the past few years but still worth the trip

CGCA Show May-1-2016.pdf
Old 04-29-2016, 06:02 PM
whichvette
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh yea..can't wait to see italo s white 91 zr1 always a show winner

Last edited by whichvette; 04-29-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:14 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

The weather forecast is not promising.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:46 AM
whichvette
Racer

Is there a rain date?
Old 04-30-2016, 01:47 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by whichvette
Is there a rain date?
No, they never have a rain date for either their May or October shows. For as long as I can remember, they've always been rain or shine events.

I have parts that I've promised to bring up for some people. We've agreed to meet there early Sunday, and if it's raining we're all going down the street to the diner for breakfast.

My trailer's loaded, but if it's raining in the morning, I'm just throwing the promised parts in my truck, and leaving the trailer home.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:10 PM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Sunday was pretty miserable... did anyone go?
Old 05-02-2016, 10:08 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by TractionControlOff
Sunday was pretty miserable... did anyone go?
I did, only because I'd made arrangements ahead of time to deliver some parts to a couple people. There was no one there, and someone had written on the lone Corvette Show sign left there: "Show Cancelled See you October 16".
Old 05-02-2016, 11:23 PM
whichvette
Racer

Originally Posted by gbvette62
I did, only because I'd made arrangements ahead of time to deliver some parts to a couple people. There was no one there, and someone had written on the lone Corvette Show sign left there: "Show Cancelled See you October 16".
Why no rain date??
Old 05-03-2016, 10:25 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Why no rain date??
Not really sure why, but they've never had one, for either their spring or fall show.

When they first started the shows, they were at Ramapo College in Mahwah. Because it was at the college, they may not have been able to reserve a second date, for a rain date????

To be honest, this is only the second time in the last 15 years, that I remember the show being cancelled by rain. And then there was a third time, that it started raining around 10:30-11:00, and they cut the show short.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:30 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Not really sure why, but they've never had one, for either their spring or fall show.

When they first started the shows, they were at Ramapo College in Mahwah. Because it was at the college, they may not have been able to reserve a second date, for a rain date????

To be honest, this is only the second time in the last 15 years, that I remember the show being cancelled by rain. And then there was a third time, that it started raining around 10:30-11:00, and they cut the show short.
This show has moved around a couple of times if I remember correctly.
Wasn't it even at a Hotel rooftop parking garage at one time?
Old 05-05-2016, 09:37 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
This show has moved around a couple of times if I remember correctly.
Wasn't it even at a Hotel rooftop parking garage at one time?
Yep, It started at Ramapo College, 40+ years ago. Somewhere around 2001-2002, the college started to expand and build new dorms, and there was no longer enough room for them to have the show there.

When they left the college, they moved down the road to the Sheraton Hotel. The show was held on the top floor of the hotel's parking garage, and the swap meet was in a field to the right of the garage. They were only there 2 or 3 years, before they had to move again. I'm not exactly sure why they moved from there, but I was once told that some of the surrounding property was sold, so they weren't going to be able to use it for the swap meet, or general parking. Supposedly a mall was going to be built next to the Sheraton, but that never happened.

The show has been at the Garden State Plaza for 10-15 years now. The swap meet has never grown back to the size that it was at either of the other venues, but it has improved. Bergen County still has blue laws, so the mall is closed Sunday's, allowing them to use the parking lots (because of the blue laws, they had to get a special license from the County to have vendors). If Bergen ever changes their laws, and the mall is allowed to open on Sundays, the club will be moving the show again!

As a side note, the ground where the Sheraton sits now, was once a Ford plant. It opened in 1955, and was the largest auto plant in the country. The original 2 seat Thunderbird, and full size Fords, were built there. Though a fixture in NJ for many years, the plant was torn down around 1980. Springsteen's song "Johnny 99", was written about a fictional laid-off worker from the plant.
The following users liked this post:
3JsVette (05-05-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 02:22 PM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Why no rain date??
Malls are a massive pain to deal with when it comes to car shows/events. They usually want an absurd amount of money for liability insurance guaranteed ahead of time.

Get notified of new replies

To Class Glass Vette Show & Swap Meet

Quick Reply: Class Glass Vette Show & Swap Meet