Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

NJ inspection failed, for no reason..

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 01:06 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Just curious and don't feel like looking it up, but how does inspections work in Joisey. Here just about every place that sells tires to oil changes do inspections. Can't you just go elsewhere or are there only certain stations that do inspections?
Old 01-16-2017, 05:26 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Inspection is free at state inspection station, all they do now is check for emission codes and as you saw here, cats.

You can go to a licensed private garage but you will pay for 1/2 labor in most cases, no more than $75.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:58 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Riverdog
To my fellow Jerseyans...

Not to hijack this thread, but I have to go for an inspection in January--and was planning to go to Lakewood also--but since my car is all stock/original I don't expect any problems with the emissions sniffer test as long as I warm the car up to normal operating temp.

But my question is did any of you go through and pass inspection WITHOUT a front plate?
My car is a 2012 and has never had a front plate on it. (Worst case I can zip tie my plate to the grille and then remove it after being inspected, but I really don't want to even do that.) How strict are they about the plate? I've never been stopped or bothered for the lack of one since I've had it (January '13.)
The inspection station personnel will not check for a front plate BUT, if a LEO (town or state) happens to be at the station, he could write you. Personally, I use zip ties to hang a front plate when I've gone to inspection.

Quick Reply: NJ inspection failed, for no reason..