Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

NJ inspection failed, for no reason..

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 02:26 PM
SLAYER6669
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default NJ inspection failed, for no reason..

I just got back from the state facility on Rt 70 in Lakewood, NJ and they failed me claiming I have no cats. Funny, because I passed at the same facility two years ago with the same exhaust. It has ARH and Catted x-pipe.

When I told him it had the same exhaust 2 years ago when they passed it he said "It's not my fault someone else didn't do their job, and then tried to say "they're just resonators".

I then spoke with the manager and he insisted because it's been modified from stock I need something from the dealer. The paper says failed for "Tampering"

What gives? I just did a search and other people have gone through the same inspection station with no issues, as have I. Now that I have failed, if I go back they're going to want something that says the exhaust is legal or whatever so I don't think I can just go back again with nothing. If I'm going to spend money to have the dealer give me some piece of paper, then I might as well pay a private garage to just do the inspection. Anyone know a good place they trust? I'm in Tom's River.

Thanks

Last edited by SLAYER6669; 12-13-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:34 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

It sounds like you failed for a reason, a modified exhaust with cats. Yes lots of people may pass with performance cats, I had no issues with my C5 but then again the cats were around where the stock ones would be. I would think they would need something from the manufacture that says it is EPA certified, etc...
Old 12-13-2016, 03:59 PM
SLAYER6669
Racer

It should not matter if the exhaust is modified. NJ tests emissions only, which does include a visual inspection if cats are present, which they are. If there are no codes and they plug in the OBD II and everything checks out, then no, there is no reason to fail the car. He just refused to admit the housings the cats are in are actually cats and insisted they were just resonators.

Even if I had something from American Racing saying their exhaust is EPA certified, they would first have to acknowledge the cats are there, which he would not.

Last edited by SLAYER6669; 12-13-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:48 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

While I know this is not going to make your day, the easiest way to resolve this for 2 more years is to re-install the original mid pipe and cats.
Yes, it is a PITA, but most dealerships and or repair facilities may be reluctant to certify that the "tampering" has been corrected, as that would be a pretty blanket statement, and fewer places are likely to certify that the car is CARB compliant as is.
Put the old pieces back on; go back to the same station; get your 2 year sticker, and you are good to go.
While silly for all of the reasons that you mention, you will face an uphill battle trying to convince them that your "tampering" is all legal.
You may be lucky enough to find a private garage who will do so, and if you do, get them a VERY nice Christmas present as that will save you a ton of aggravation.
It's a shame, because as you say, the car is meeting emission standards in it's current "tampered" configuration as evidenced by the lack of SES light..
Best of luck; you will get it resolved!

Marty
Old 12-13-2016, 05:11 PM
SLAYER6669
Racer

Yeah that is a royal pain so I'm hoping to not have to do that. I bought the car with the exhaust as is so I don't have any stock parts. I didn't think it would be an issue since it passed when I registered it 2 years ago.

Last edited by SLAYER6669; 12-13-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:13 PM
cds62
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SLAYER6669
Yeah that is a royal pain so I'm hoping to not have to do that. I bought the car with the exhaust as is so I don't have any stock parts. I didn't think it would be an issue since it passed when I registered it 2 years ago.
If you decide to switch to a stock exhaust to get it through inspection, I have the exhaust (axle back) off of a 2012 Grand Sport that I have been trying to sell for a while. If you are interested, let me know.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:07 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

They are correct for failing you based on the law, but it is BS. You will probably be forced to go back to stock at this point to pass.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:21 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I doubt any independent shop (you can not go back to the state once you fail) will pass your car now. As others have said you are probably going to have to put a stock exhaust on it to get it to pass. If you do find someone to pass the car, just save yourself the headache of dealing with the state every two years and pay them to do it. It will be the best $100 you ever spent.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:25 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Come to NY where now your car will fail because of.... window tint.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:36 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,765 Likes on 968 Posts

In PA you can fail for window tint, and changing the exhaust in anyway, but if you go to the inspection station on nice days with the windows down all is good. In PA if you drive under 5k miles a year you do not need emissions inspection, you get an exempt sticker, and usually they don't even look under your car
Old 12-15-2016, 10:33 AM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Check with a NJ shop like ECS if they know any mod friendly private inspection shops. As long as your modified exhaust is legal and you can prove or they are familiar with it maybe you can get it passed. Or you will have to go back to stock, at least to pass this time. Then go back to the modded and try your luck again.

Last edited by Humanoid 2.0; 12-15-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:40 PM
simpleman68
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0
Check with a NJ shop like ECS if they know any mod friendly private inspection shops. As long as your modified exhaust is legal and you can prove or they are familiar with it maybe you can get it passed. Or you will have to go back to stock, at least to pass this time. Then go back to the modded and try your luck again.
Good idea Stephen.
Scott
Old 12-18-2016, 08:28 PM
Riverdog
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 78 Posts

To my fellow Jerseyans...

Not to hijack this thread, but I have to go for an inspection in January--and was planning to go to Lakewood also--but since my car is all stock/original I don't expect any problems with the emissions sniffer test as long as I warm the car up to normal operating temp.

But my question is did any of you go through and pass inspection WITHOUT a front plate?
My car is a 2012 and has never had a front plate on it. (Worst case I can zip tie my plate to the grille and then remove it after being inspected, but I really don't want to even do that.) How strict are they about the plate? I've never been stopped or bothered for the lack of one since I've had it (January '13.)
Old 12-18-2016, 10:52 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Riverdog

Not to hijack this thread, but I have to go for an inspection in January--and was planning to go to Lakewood also--but since my car is all stock/original I don't expect any problems with the emissions sniffer test as long as I warm the car up to normal operating temp.

But my question is did any of you go through and pass inspection WITHOUT a front plate?
My car is a 2012 and has never had a front plate on it. (Worst case I can zip tie my plate to the grille and then remove it after being inspected, but I really don't want to even do that.) How strict are they about the plate? I've never been stopped or bothered for the lack of one since I've had it (January '13.)
There is no longer a "sniff test" in Jersey, as long as your CEL is not on (and have a good gas cap ) you will pass. I am not sure about the front plate, my DD is tinted and I just take to a private shop and let him inspect it. Well worth the $100 not to have to deal with the potential headache.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:12 AM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

NJ inspection is emissions only. Plate shouldn't matter. Not sure why they even failed the OP if the engine light was off and all monitors were ready? Surprised they even checked for cats. I'd talk to an local independent inspection shop. I don't see why it would fail if the computer is happy. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:45 PM
SLAYER6669
Racer

Yeah I sailed right through 2 years ago with tint and no plate and passed. Obviously a completely different story this time around. The guy was clearly just being difficult for no reason. Had I been one lane over to the right, I probably would have had no issues. It's a bit of a lottery. I honestly wouldn't worry about the plate though.

Last edited by SLAYER6669; 12-19-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:11 AM
Michael G
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Front Plate

I zip-tied my front plate for it’s maiden inspection at Lakewood. Don’t think it was checked it, they were very impressed with the Corvette. The attendant even asked if I would like to put on the (passed) inspection sticker myself. I imagine all it takes is one employee, having a bad day, that could bust your chops. (Like Slayer got) But I would definitely give it a try. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To NJ inspection failed, for no reason..

Old 01-05-2017, 02:08 PM
Riverdog
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 78 Posts
Default NJ Inspection...

Took my car to Lakewood, NJ inspection station today and the inspectors couldn't have been nicer. There were only 4 cars being tested in the entire facility at the time so in the "old days" of full inspections there'd have been plenty of time to nit-pick. But my car went right through--though it is all stock with NPP dual-mode exhaust--and my concern about no front plate wasn't even an issue. They never did a walkaround even after seeing the front of the car as I drove in from the waiting point to the inspection lane.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:48 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Riverdog

Glad it worked out.

Last edited by Rich Mickol; 01-06-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:33 AM
ON 8TH
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SLAYER6669
Yeah I sailed right through 2 years ago with tint and no plate and passed. Obviously a completely different story this time around. The guy was clearly just being difficult for no reason.
Maybe the inspectors wife ran off with a corvette owner !

Quick Reply: NJ inspection failed, for no reason..