Northern California Northern California

LG Longtubes and Corsa Sports installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:28 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LG Longtubes and Corsa Sports installed!!

I posted this over in C6 Performance, but I want to share the experience with my local bros...

Just wanted to share my activities of the day...

I purchased a set of lightly used LG Pro Tube Headers and a Corsa Sport exhaust from JKonkle. Great deal BTW even with a minor shippng mishap. Props to JK on his handling of this as well. I had the headers "cleaned" and coated locally by Accessories Plus in Belmont. I chose a matte black ceramic coating. Looks very stealth and came out GREAT!! I can't say enough about the coating!

I started around 9am with a buddy, bayarea9, showing up around 10 to lend a hand. I had the car up on stands, the plugwires off and the h-pipe out in the first hour. In trying to get the one piece over axle pipe and muffler out we had to disconnect the rear sway and jack the car higher. Huge PITA! Then we moved onto the cat pipes, taking the sparkplugs out and finally getting the stock manifolds off.

Once you figure out the trick of twisting in the headers, they go in really easy! We spent more time figuring out how/where to run the 02 extensions than getting the headers in! FWIW, I ended up drilling a 1/4" hole in the side heatshield to mount the 02 connectors and ziptied the wires to the heatshield and tunnel plate (2 more 1/4" holes drilled there to tie off to). I noticed the LGs have flange on each header that almost lines up with 2 holes in the transmission (I think?). I talked with Rick at Synergy and he said in spite of the obvious, no bolts actually go there. We used new gaskets and Stage8 locking bolts. Snugged them up and broke a Craftsman 3/16" hex bit in the process. Wifey went off to OSH to get a free warranty replacement We tried to install the catted X-pipe next, but it didn't seem to fit!! The collectors on headers seemed a little too close together for the X-pipe. We decided to call it a night and spray the the cats with WD40 in an effort to loosen them and maybe install the cats first then the X-pipe and hope the "play" there will be enough to make the whole system fit. (crossed fingers).

Tomorrow the first step is separating the cats from from the X-pipe. Then installing the X-pipe and Corsa Sports. Finally... fire her up and enjoy the new power and sound!! Tips are certainly welcome! --posted Sat

and posted today -- I'll grab some pictures tomorrow in the daylight. The garage lights are no good for pictures. Yeah the sound is AWESOME!!! I'll try to get some sound clips soon. It's NASTY!!! Even better than I imagined! ...and I had pretty high expectations to start with!

DSOM, it really wasn't all that hard. Although we took 2 days to do it, we both agreed we could do it in ~5 hours if we did it again. The last time I installed headers was on a 96 f-body around 1998. Now THOSE were hard. And I LOVE the black. It totally fits in with the natural colors in the engine bay.

Yesterday we closed up with the headers on but naked from the collectors back. I started this morning by separating the cats from the X-pipe and after screwing with it for about an hour James comes over and slid it in in about 10 minutes!! *sshole! The only snag was was finding some foil tape the tape the 02 connectors up to the tunnel plate and away from the cats. (crossed fingers) hoping for the best!! I'm planning to ask Rick @ Synergy to take a look at them and adjust if necessary when I go in for a tune later this month. Speaking of needing a tune I thought I had escaped the dreaded check engine light but after about an hour of driving it popped up! That was about the only downer of the day.

Getting the Corsa in was A LOT easier than getting the stock system out! Not even any lube on the rubbers... get yer mind out of the gutter!! Putting in the muffler hangers in the rubber hangers was easier than advertised.

My hands are sore and it's time to take a nice hot shower and down some advil! I'll deal with the check engine light tomorrow. Maybe stop by autozone and get them to pull the code for free and make sure it's just the 02 sensors and nothing more serious

Thanks again to all the people that posted great stuff and how-tos I read before I started the install! And thanks james for lending a hand, a wrench and some much needed sanity this morning!

I think it's time to go wake up the neighbors again!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:58 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by openhelix
I posted this over in C6 Performance, but I want to share the experience with my local bros...

Just wanted to share my activities of the day...

I purchased a set of lightly used LG Pro Tube Headers and a Corsa Sport exhaust from JKonkle. Great deal BTW even with a minor shippng mishap. Props to JK on his handling of this as well. I had the headers "cleaned" and coated locally by Accessories Plus in Belmont. I chose a matte black ceramic coating. Looks very stealth and came out GREAT!! I can't say enough about the coating!

I started around 9am with a buddy, bayarea9, showing up around 10 to lend a hand. I had the car up on stands, the plugwires off and the h-pipe out in the first hour. In trying to get the one piece over axle pipe and muffler out we had to disconnect the rear sway and jack the car higher. Huge PITA! Then we moved onto the cat pipes, taking the sparkplugs out and finally getting the stock manifolds off.

Once you figure out the trick of twisting in the headers, they go in really easy! We spent more time figuring out how/where to run the 02 extensions than getting the headers in! FWIW, I ended up drilling a 1/4" hole in the side heatshield to mount the 02 connectors and ziptied the wires to the heatshield and tunnel plate (2 more 1/4" holes drilled there to tie off to). I noticed the LGs have flange on each header that almost lines up with 2 holes in the transmission (I think?). I talked with Rick at Synergy and he said in spite of the obvious, no bolts actually go there. We used new gaskets and Stage8 locking bolts. Snugged them up and broke a Craftsman 3/16" hex bit in the process. Wifey went off to OSH to get a free warranty replacement We tried to install the catted X-pipe next, but it didn't seem to fit!! The collectors on headers seemed a little too close together for the X-pipe. We decided to call it a night and spray the the cats with WD40 in an effort to loosen them and maybe install the cats first then the X-pipe and hope the "play" there will be enough to make the whole system fit. (crossed fingers).

Tomorrow the first step is separating the cats from from the X-pipe. Then installing the X-pipe and Corsa Sports. Finally... fire her up and enjoy the new power and sound!! Tips are certainly welcome! --posted Sat

and posted today -- I'll grab some pictures tomorrow in the daylight. The garage lights are no good for pictures. Yeah the sound is AWESOME!!! I'll try to get some sound clips soon. It's NASTY!!! Even better than I imagined! ...and I had pretty high expectations to start with!

DSOM, it really wasn't all that hard. Although we took 2 days to do it, we both agreed we could do it in ~5 hours if we did it again. The last time I installed headers was on a 96 f-body around 1998. Now THOSE were hard. And I LOVE the black. It totally fits in with the natural colors in the engine bay.

Yesterday we closed up with the headers on but naked from the collectors back. I started this morning by separating the cats from the X-pipe and after screwing with it for about an hour James comes over and slid it in in about 10 minutes!! *sshole! The only snag was was finding some foil tape the tape the 02 connectors up to the tunnel plate and away from the cats. (crossed fingers) hoping for the best!! I'm planning to ask Rick @ Synergy to take a look at them and adjust if necessary when I go in for a tune later this month. Speaking of needing a tune I thought I had escaped the dreaded check engine light but after about an hour of driving it popped up! That was about the only downer of the day.

Getting the Corsa in was A LOT easier than getting the stock system out! Not even any lube on the rubbers... get yer mind out of the gutter!! Putting in the muffler hangers in the rubber hangers was easier than advertised.

My hands are sore and it's time to take a nice hot shower and down some advil! I'll deal with the check engine light tomorrow. Maybe stop by autozone and get them to pull the code for free and make sure it's just the 02 sensors and nothing more serious

Thanks again to all the people that posted great stuff and how-tos I read before I started the install! And thanks james for lending a hand, a wrench and some much needed sanity this morning!

I think it's time to go wake up the neighbors again!
Great job on the DIY. Hopefully it is just the rear O2s that are causing the CEL. This happens with most long tube headers. Have Rick turn them off when he does the tune.
Enjoy
SLPRC5
Old 01-07-2007, 11:06 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SleeperC5
Great job on the DIY. Hopefully it is just the rear O2s that are causing the CEL. This happens with most long tube headers. Have Rick turn them off when he does the tune.
Enjoy
SLPRC5
Thanks I'm pretty happy with the way everything turned out... Like speechless!! Yeah, I'm pretty confident it's just the rear 02s... but I'd like to be sure

It was a great car bonding experience. Would definitely do it again given the chance.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:00 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 319 Posts

: It was a great car bonding experience. Would definitely do it again given the chance.
Well come on by. I have LG's coming in this week. My muffler shop wants 3-4 hours to put them in, weld in my new cats, and fit the crosspipe. Hell I'll pull my manifolds and drive it to him with just LT's
Old 01-09-2007, 02:41 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

weld in cats?? :wtf:
Old 01-09-2007, 03:03 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

weld in cats?? :wtf:

Bad idea??? I have NO desire to deal with leaks and no plans of removing it. I could use bad clamps, but what are their success rate? I went to performance curve and ordered 2 3" high flow cats and had them shipped to my buddy in Indiana and he is going to send them out to CA.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:20 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

Just curious, but why didn't you order the LGs with the hi-flow cat option?

Personally, *I* wouldn't weld them in. You should be fine with standard cuff/band clamp. I don't know of anyone else here reporting leaks with this setup.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:37 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Just curious, but why didn't you order the LGs with the hi-flow cat option?

Personally, *I* wouldn't weld them in. You should be fine with standard cuff/band clamp. I don't know of anyone else here reporting leaks with this setup.
My bad I meant LT's I ordered a set of SS long tubes and the there was not such a option. My setup is a cheap alternative to the $2K plus setups out there. It looks like I am going to put the headers on, band clamp the cats, and make sure the rest of the exahaust is secure and drive it to the shop for completion. I don't want a bunch of band clamps throughout my system, just sounds like something setup for failure. why would welding the system together be such a bad decision??? Its not like anything we are talking about here is a permanent application. Just curious. Thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 11:00 AM
0Synergy Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of welding together, what we do is if the customer likes, we use V-band clamp systems. This is the best thing you can do to it. And yes, these systems do leak sometimes with the standard clamps.

Rick
Old 01-10-2007, 11:03 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Rick- My thing is I don't want to deal with leaks. I can't stand a exhaust leak. Would I face any negative affects welding it all together or is a V band clamp the best solution. Once these headers are on and I get the new rear, its going to be you tuning her anyways so if it leaks it will be your problem. HAHAHA J/K
Old 01-10-2007, 11:06 AM
0Synergy Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teddyca
Rick- My thing is I don't want to deal with leaks. I can't stand a exhaust leak. Would I face any negative affects welding it all together or is a V band clamp the best solution. Once these headers are on and I get the new rear, its going to be you tuning her anyways so if it leaks it will be your problem. HAHAHA J/K
Yes, I hate leaks too. They screw up the tuning alot.

THe only thing you would face is just tough for you to take off later, but thats all. Nothing wrong with welding. Its your headers.

V-bands are nice, pricey, but nice because you can take them off quick and they seal 100%. We keep some in stock if you need a few sets when you weld them together. So yeah, I dont like leaks.

RIck
Old 01-10-2007, 11:09 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Thanks Rick. I assure you when the car comes it will be leak free. Just waiting for another Dyno day to put a spark under my *** for a tune
Old 01-10-2007, 12:27 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

Agreed, it would be tough to take off later if you ever needed to remove it for emissions issues, general repair or the most likely reason, more mods. As much as you say/think it'll never be off, they will be something down the line that will make you wish it weren't welded. Just my .02, having been down this path a few times before.

V-bands are probably the best compromise IMO. I had forgotten that option. $$, but worth it if you're **** about leaks. I've only used them in an aerospace application but even for test units I remember them being ~$80 each in bulk.

Last edited by openhelix; 01-10-2007 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 01-10-2007, 12:30 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Sounds good you guys and thanks for the help. I am going to just order four 3" clamps and go that route. I plan to add a 3.42 rear, stall, etc.. so more then liely it will be back out. Thanks again
Old 01-10-2007, 12:33 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

Curious what setup you went with? I just gave a look through all the headers brands I know of and didn't see any that didn't at least offer cats as an option. If you have them already, post up some impressions. I'm sure it would be educational for the rest of us!
Old 01-10-2007, 12:38 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

I went with the SS stainless headers from that bad auction site . There is a 18+ page thread about them with at least 15 people happy with the results. Best part is with everything said and done I am in it $700 and that includes cats, LT's, and the x-pipe. I will post my results when I am done. I am also ordering everything for a cam setup but that might take a couple months. By spring I would love to have my car cammed and tuned to aorund 440hp. ECS has an amazing cam and I am saving for that. Now that the car as all the prettys I want it to run that way as well. I told my wife this morning that while I was driving the cam fell out and we need to order another. She didn't believe me. HAHA
Old 01-10-2007, 12:45 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

Okay they're from eb@y... I meant who is the manufacturer of them, do you know? ...unfortunately there aren't any search for 18 page header thread buttons.

$700 in is a great deal!! Any pictures of them? or, if you want PM me a link to the @uction.

I've heard Rick has done some pretty sweet custom grind cams for people based on exactly what they're looking for out of the car (not necessarily peak hp above 6000 rpm). It's worth talking to him IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To LG Longtubes and Corsa Sports installed!!

Old 01-10-2007, 12:51 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Heres a link. Some with 01 and newer cars are having to relocate the airtube, but for the price you can't beat it. Everyone seems happy with them. If you want a list of everything I ordered I can PM you it. I shopped this setup for some time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._promot_widget
Old 01-10-2007, 01:31 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

Interesting... good luck. I would interested to see what gains you get.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:47 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

There were 2 guys that dynoed after and their gains were around 14hp

Quick Reply: LG Longtubes and Corsa Sports installed!!