Northern California Northern California

Possible to get "Lemon Buyback" removed from title?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 05:48 AM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Possible to get "Lemon Buyback" removed from title?

Like the title says, is it possible to get a "Lemon Law Buyback" tag removed from a vehicle's title?

My '01 'vert has that on the title, and my dad (whom I bought the car from) bought it from a previous owner about a year or so ago with that on the title. The reason it has that on it's title is because the original owner bought the car, and had it bought back by GM because the paint job was faulty. GM gave the car a completely new paint job and then turned around and sold it (to the guy my dad bought it from, if I remember correctly). The paint has no defects on it or anything now, and the 'lemon law' tag made getting an auto loan for the car an absolute pain in the @$$ with my credit union despite my explaining (with the original paperwork about the paint and the 'lemon' tag).

Is there any way through either the DMV or my insurance company that I can the tag removed or updated or something?
Old 05-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Miguels
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not in Cali....

cant remove a salvaged title either..
Old 05-13-2007, 01:40 AM
codename Bil Doe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell no! No one wants your crap! jk. Although it's unlucky for you, it protects against scams for reselling true lemons and totaled cars.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:02 AM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Kind of figured that'd be the case, no major problem for me, at least until I sell the car (which will be a loooooong ways off anyways ). I'm glad the laws exist, just a shame that it had to be used this way to take care of a simple paint issue.

Oh well, money saved on my part for a perfectly fine 'vette, so I'm not exactly upset about it.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by flaagan
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Kind of figured that'd be the case, no major problem for me, at least until I sell the car (which will be a loooooong ways off anyways ). I'm glad the laws exist, just a shame that it had to be used this way to take care of a simple paint issue.

Oh well, money saved on my part for a perfectly fine 'vette, so I'm not exactly upset about it.
I bet you when it happened, someone on the CF was complaining about the paint in a C5 gen thread and then cheered on when GM bought the car back.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:29 PM
CALVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by flaagan
Like the title says, is it possible to get a "Lemon Law Buyback" tag removed from a vehicle's title?
<snip> back by GM because the paint job was faulty. GM gave the car a completely new paint job and then turned around and sold it <snip>
You may want to document this by contacting GM and or the original owner. You may be able to get a car fax or a printout of repairs from
a local dealer. This documentation might be helpful in getting a better price should you ever sell it.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:37 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by CALVette
You may want to document this by contacting GM and or the original owner. You may be able to get a car fax or a printout of repairs from
a local dealer. This documentation might be helpful in getting a better price should you ever sell it.
Already have such documentation and a carfax on the vehicle. Good suggestion though.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible to get "Lemon Buyback" removed from title?

Quick Reply: Possible to get "Lemon Buyback" removed from title?