Replacing Water Pump With LS3 Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:51 PM
RanBurVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing Water Pump With LS3 Pump

I am installing a new A/C condenser and will be changing water pumps
at the same time. Want GM part number for a LS3 pump that will interchange with a 1998 LS1. Do I need a thermostat housing and stat
to make the swap. Assuming the drive belts are the same. Anyone made
the swap? LS3 is a better pump. Any help will be much appreciated!!!!!
THANKS
Old 03-28-2009, 08:57 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

A LS1 pump will work just fine, but if you really want a LS3 pump the only thing that might be different is the thermostat housing, some of the eariler LS1/6 had the thermostat and housing as one piece and the later ones are seperate. Your belt and tensioner should work just fine.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:07 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Do the replacement water pumps have the short pulley? The original on my '99 uses a generic pulley that works on all the LS motors with various accessory drives. I'd prefer to use a short pulley reduce weight and free up some space.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:51 PM
C5Spirit
Pro

Originally Posted by bullitt4110
A LS1 pump will work just fine, but if you really want a LS3 pump the only thing that might be different is the thermostat housing, some of the eariler LS1/6 had the thermostat and housing as one piece and the later ones are seperate. Your belt and tensioner should work just fine.
General information:

Remember the water pump gasket thickness is different than the LS1 water pump if you go to a supercharge later this is a need to know because it will throw the alignment off and the belt will walk over one rib. In my case that is what it did. My .02
Old 04-20-2009, 12:46 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Any reason I couldn't just use the early gasket? I have never heard anything about the thickness. Will never go supercharged so I'm not worried about that.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:19 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by RanBurVette
I am installing a new A/C condenser and will be changing water pumps
at the same time. Want GM part number for a LS3 pump that will interchange with a 1998 LS1. Do I need a thermostat housing and stat
to make the swap. Assuming the drive belts are the same. Anyone made
the swap? LS3 is a better pump. Any help will be much appreciated!!!!!
THANKS
The part number for LS3/LS7 pumps are the same. 89018052.

After late 2003, the pump housing changes where the t-stat goes and it is a different size. The later pump will work, but will require the newer style housing if ever replaced.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 PM
C5Spirit
Pro

Originally Posted by trackboss
Any reason I couldn't just use the early gasket? I have never heard anything about the thickness. Will never go supercharged so I'm not worried about that.
I believe it's because the T-stat housing is different.
I believe Richie can give you the gasket part# for the LS1 water pump gasket and it will be different than the LS3/LS7 gasket.
I think the LS3/LS7 gasket is .060 thicker...or the other way round. But as you said no worry for you because you won't be going to a supercharger...

Last edited by C5Spirit; 04-21-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:02 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

I'll have to measure the gaskets for myself. They don't appear to be any different in the packaging. Hopefully I won't have any belt issues. I don't have any ls1 gaskets available (assuming they are different) and would rather not do this twice. I can't see any reason why gm would make such a change. The pump is noticably lighter than my original which is really nice as is the smaller pulley to free up some much needed space.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:08 PM
C5Spirit
Pro

I'll have to measure the gaskets for myself. They don't appear to be any different in the packaging. Hopefully I won't have any belt issues. I don't have any ls1 gaskets available (assuming they are different) and would rather not do this twice. I can't see any reason why gm would make such a change. The pump is noticably lighter than my original which is really nice as is the smaller pulley to free up some much needed space.
Myself and Andy at A&A can tell you there is a difference in the LS1 and LS6 water pump gasket, because we had an alignment problem with the Vortech supercharger to the point that Andy has put this information in his installation instructions. LS 3 water pump may be entirely different.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:41 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Ok, I'll try to remember to take some measurements. Is the belt best centered on the water pump with the included gaskets or with the old LS1 gaskets?
-V
Old 04-24-2009, 12:48 PM
C5Spirit
Pro

Ok, I'll try to remember to take some measurements. Is the belt best centered on the water pump with the included gaskets or with the old LS1 gaskets?
-V
I'm only guessing but I'd say centered...someone will chime in I'm sure with a correct answer if I'm wrong..
Old 04-24-2009, 01:02 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

With which gasket?
Old 04-24-2009, 04:16 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

I measured the included gaskets and they average .065" total thickness. That is about 1/16" of an inch. When I get to my old pump I'll measure the difference in gasket thickness as well as set the pumps next to each other and see how the pulleys align.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:49 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

I put both pumps side by side on a flat surface and took some measurements. This is what I found:
My original LS1 pump has a wear stripe on the pulley indicating the belt is riding right along the back edge of the pulley. There is about 3" of pulley forward of the belt not being used. GM did this in order to use one pulley for multiple accessory drives (corvette, camaro, truck, etc.)The original (used/compressed) gaskets are roughly .060" thick. The back edge of the LS3 pump pulley vs. the LS1 pump pulley is about .094" closer to the mounting surface (gaskets excluded). Using the LS3 pump with the included .065" (new) gaskets puts the back edge of the pulley .089" closer the engine. Using the early gaskets puts the back edge of the pulley .094" closer than the original pump. By looking at the wear strip the closer to the engine the pump is the more centered the belt will be on the pulley. However, regardless of gasket the LS3 pump allows the belt to ride inward of the back edge of the pulley which is a good thing. In all, the gaskets thicknesses are extremely close and should be a non-issue. I have not looked at a vortech setup to see how sensitive the pulley alignment is, but keep in mind the back side of the belt is what rides on the water pump pulley because of it's reverse rotation and in most cases it is not nearly as sensitive to belt alignment as any of the ribbed pulleys.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Water Pump With LS3 Pump

Quick Reply: Replacing Water Pump With LS3 Pump