Northern California Northern California

Oakland Raiders

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:45 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GotCorvette?
San Francisco, yes. Same with most of Silicon Valley. But how did they get so affluent with all that terrible liberal government? My only point is that liberal government doesn't always wreck a city. There are many other factors that come into play. The main difference between San Francisco and Oakland is simply geographic location. And yet during my time in the bay area, Oakland managed to completely steal the shipping industry from them.

Oh, well, I digress, This is a Raiders thread. I just hope they can find a way to stay in Oakland. Stadiums can be built with private money. The Giants did it.
They need to build the Stadium with private money, no way Oakland will approve a Stadium using tax payer money again. Why should tax payer pay, the owners are multi millionaires or billionaires they can find funding if they try hard enough. Hope Raiders, A's and Warriors stay in Oakland, but wouldn't be surprised if they all leave one day.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:57 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 68
They need to build the Stadium with private money, no way Oakland will approve a Stadium using tax payer money again. Why should tax payer pay, the owners are multi millionaires or billionaires they can find funding if they try hard enough. Hope Raiders, A's and Warriors stay in Oakland, but wouldn't be surprised if they all leave one day.
Just before I moved out of Silicon Valley around 1990, the Giants were wanting to move to San Jose. They tried a ballot initiative to impose a 1.5% utility tax to build a stadium for them. It failed by a huge margin, thankfully. Why should I pay a tax on my utilities to make a team owner richer?

I'll tell you what, sports stadiums don't wear out. Take a look at Wrigley Field or Boston. These new stadiums are nothing but fleecing taxpayers to make real estate deals to line the pockets of some very rich people. Stadiums need upkeep and renovation at times, but they don't wear out beyond usability in a few decades. If some other location wants to spend a billion plus on this, then so be it. I've been a Raider fan since there have been Raiders, and I'll be their fan if they move to Moscow.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:30 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Just before I moved out of Silicon Valley around 1990, the Giants were wanting to move to San Jose. They tried a ballot initiative to impose a 1.5% utility tax to build a stadium for them. It failed by a huge margin, thankfully. Why should I pay a tax on my utilities to make a team owner richer?

I'll tell you what, sports stadiums don't wear out. Take a look at Wrigley Field or Boston. These new stadiums are nothing but fleecing taxpayers to make real estate deals to line the pockets of some very rich people. Stadiums need upkeep and renovation at times, but they don't wear out beyond usability in a few decades. If some other location wants to spend a billion plus on this, then so be it. I've been a Raider fan since there have been Raiders, and I'll be their fan if they move to Moscow.
Yep Raiders fan till I die, never will become a Niner fan. I see nothing wrong with Coliseum, except it not all high tech and stuff, peoples in blogs I see write in, talk like the Coliseum a dump and all run down, but it well kept up. It's all about luxury boxes and business getting season tickets and not the blue collar fan that are the hard core fan, there phasing them out. Oh well see what happen next. Go Raiders.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:11 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

San Francisco, yes. Same with most of Silicon Valley. But how did they get so affluent with all that terrible liberal government? My only point is that liberal government doesn't always wreck a city. There are many other factors that come into play. The main difference between San Francisco and Oakland is simply geographic location. And yet during my time in the bay area, Oakland managed to completely steal the shipping industry from them.

Oh, well, I digress, This is a Raiders thread. I just hope they can find a way to stay in Oakland. Stadiums can be built with private money. The Giants did it.
I'll clarify my position on Oakland's liberal polices that I find that Oakland can't afford, and then hopefully we can agree to disagree and get back to Raider Football.

Oakland’s 8.8 percent unemployment rate, more than the state’s 6.9 percent and San Francisco’s 4.4 percent, is down from a post-recession peak of 17.6 percent in July 2010, state figures show. From Bloomberg News.

http://cnsnews.com/oakland-mayor-sla...andling-occupy

A self-described civil rights activist with roots in the San Francisco Bay area's progressive movements stretching back to UC Berkeley's protest scene in the 1960s, Quan has said she and the city support the demonstrators. Mayor Quan's decision supporting the occupy movement, alone cost the city of Oakland over $1,000,000. in cleanup, Police & Fire services. Liberal with liberal policy!

Oakland is also a sanctuary city, (which does not have any legal standing), means that persons illegally in this country can receive all benefits, from education (required by law), health benefits, social services, etc., as any law abiding citizen. Also Oakland has an abundance of Hispanic gangs, many of which are illegal. Saying you are a sanctuary city invites more illegals because they are entitled to the same benefits given citizens.
This is a liberal policy as well!

I can continue to cite examples of liberal policies in the city of Oakland because I lived or worked there for over 30 years.

With high unemployment, lower tax base, Lower average wages, historically higher crime rate per capita, than S.F., S.J. or any part of silicon valley, how can they afford all of these liberal social services programs, when the tax base just is not there?

Those cities you mentioned flourish despite liberal policies, because of all the abundance tax base supporting those programs, whereas the City of Oakland is in a budget crisis. They had a 58 million dollar deficit under Quan and currently have a 32 million dollar deficit. More "Hipsters" (young up and comers) moving from S.F. to Oakland are helping support the tax base.

Bottom line is Oakland is less able to afford all the social programs and policies.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Kingspoke; 02-26-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:53 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kingspoke
I'll clarify my position on Oakland's liberal polices that I find that Oakland can't afford, and then hopefully we can agree to disagree and get back to Raider Football.

Oakland’s 8.8 percent unemployment rate, more than the state’s 6.9 percent and San Francisco’s 4.4 percent, is down from a post-recession peak of 17.6 percent in July 2010, state figures show. From Bloomberg News.

http://cnsnews.com/oakland-mayor-sla...andling-occupy

A self-described civil rights activist with roots in the San Francisco Bay area's progressive movements stretching back to UC Berkeley's protest scene in the 1960s, Quan has said she and the city support the demonstrators. Mayor Quan's decision supporting the occupy movement, alone cost the city of Oakland over $1,000,000. in cleanup, Police & Fire services. Liberal with liberal policy!

Oakland is also a sanctuary city, (which does not have any legal standing), means that persons illegally in this country can receive all benefits, from education (required by law), health benefits, social services, etc., as any law abiding citizen. Also Oakland has an abundance of Hispanic gangs, many of which are illegal. Saying you are a sanctuary city invites more illegals because they are entitled to the same benefits given citizens.
This is a liberal policy as well!

I can continue to cite examples of liberal policies in the city of Oakland because I lived or worked there for over 30 years.

With high unemployment, lower tax base, Lower average wages, historically higher crime rate per capita, than S.F., S.J. or any part of silicon valley, how can they afford all of these liberal social services programs, when the tax base just is not there?

Those cities you mentioned flourish despite liberal policies, because of all the abundance tax base supporting those programs, whereas the City of Oakland is in a budget crisis. They had a 58 million dollar deficit under Quan and currently have a 32 million dollar deficit. More "Hipsters" (young up and comers) moving from S.F. to Oakland are helping support the tax base.

Bottom line is Oakland is less able to afford all the social programs and policies.
Quan was a joke as a mayor. Hopefully the new mayor can clean up some of the mess she left behind. Time will tell.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:30 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Quan was a joke as a mayor. Hopefully the new mayor can clean up some of the mess she left behind. Time will tell.
Now that's something we can definitely agree on!
Old 02-28-2015, 11:21 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Default Oakland Stadium

SAN DIEGO (KUSI) - Pressure is mounting as both the Chargers and the Raiders look ahead to the possibility of moving to Carson.
San Diego still does not have a viable plan after 13-years, and Oakland has one, and it is financed by a San Diego businessman.

Floyd Kephart is Chairman of Renaissance Companies which advises hedge funds, private equity firms, and financial institutions from his office in Rancho Santa Fe.

Oakland's plan is a stadium and redevelopment on 200 acres of land jointly owned by the city and the county.

Floyd Kephart was hired to secure the financing which is in place. The only thing holdup up a deal is the politicians reaching agreement on the development part of the deal.

"The city and county's bureaucratic processes of agreeing between the two of them," said Kephart.

A draft agreement was circulated Thursday night, and the city has responded.

"My guess is, we end up with that agreement being done in the next two weeks. When that agreement gets done, then there will be direct negotiations with the Raiders," he said.

By contrast, the Chargers will not even see a plan for another couple of months.

Not only are the Rams well ahead of the Chargers, so are the Raiders.

"The big difference here is that we don't need voter approval. We're not borrowing any money. The Raiders are doing everything in their power to stay in Oakland," he said.

Including significant financial commitments, and a smaller 55,000 seat stadium to protect their fan base by keeping ticket prices down.

"Scale of one-to-ten, we're at an eight on being able to get this done in Oakland, and I really think it's gonna happen," he said.

If the Raiders are close to a deal, why partner with the Chargers in Carson?

Because both teams need an alternative in case any deals collapse.

Both teams have strong ties to their communities, both want to stay, but so far, neither has received the political support they feel they deserve.

It is about leverage which is why the NFL has kept Los Angeles open, to give teams leverage against their cities to get a new stadium under threat of leaving.

"That's what I think, yeah, I don't have any basis for that other than both teams made virtually the same kind of response," said Kephart.

Beyond that, the Raiders have a huge, and national brand they want to protect, and it can only be protected if they stay in Oakland.

Hope they stay, love the Raiders. Might even think about getting season tickets again if they stay. But if they do leave, there still my team. Raiders till I die.

Last edited by Paul 68; 02-28-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:07 AM
Raiderh20boy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 191 Posts

Paul,
Where did you find that article? Very interesting!
Old 03-01-2015, 11:20 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

"Oakland's plan is a stadium and redevelopment on 200 acres of land jointly owned by the city and the county".

This is definitely good news. Anybody know where the 200 acres is?
Old 03-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Raiderh20boy
Paul,
Where did you find that article? Very interesting!
I have a inside source, lol. Mark Davis, we both own Corvettes, lol. J/K. Was a article out of San Diego, also was a video. I will post below.

http://www.kusi.com/story/28225234/l...ers-in-oakland

Last edited by Paul 68; 03-01-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Plentyofun
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love that threads about the Raiders from several years ago are still just as applicable today. sorry to any fans, but that is just pure comedy what they've got going on over there. D. Carr looks alright though.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:40 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Plentyofun
I love that threads about the Raiders from several years ago are still just as applicable today. sorry to any fans, but that is just pure comedy what they've got going on over there. D. Carr looks alright though.

That's what us Raiders fans do, stick threw thick and thin. Yeah they been a joke the last decade, but I think this coaching staff will show some better results in the future and right this ship. Raiders fans stick by there team, not like some other fans do for there NFL team.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

That's what us Raiders fans do, stick threw thick and thin. Yeah they been a joke the last decade, but I think this coaching staff will show some better results in the future and right this ship. Raiders fans stick by there team, not like some other fans do for there NFL team.
Yes, I like the direction we are finally headed. The next several days should see a few more underperforming veterans gone and we will be spending large just to get up to the minimum. Let's go after Suh, Cobb, Julius Thomas, a decent MLB, and safety. Then let's have another solid draft.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:29 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Ever notice you don't see much Raider clothing at garage sales?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

That because once you go Silver and Black you never go back.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:38 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

That because once you go Silver and Black you never go back.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Plentyofun
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right about that; Raiders fans stick with it. Seems like things are moving in the right direction too.

Get notified of new replies

To Oakland Raiders

Old 03-06-2015, 01:21 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Plentyofun
You're right about that; Raiders fans stick with it. Seems like things are moving in the right direction too.
Definitely! You will see a much improved team even without player changes, because the coaching will be much improved! I'm very excited about the Raiders regular season, coming up.

Go Raiders!
Old 03-06-2015, 09:53 PM
209TIME!!!
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

that's because all that ugly stuff is under a bunch of old leaking fords in some of your garages!
Old 03-07-2015, 03:14 AM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 209TIME!!!
that's because all that ugly stuff is under a bunch of old leaking fords in some of your garages!
No that the Chargers shirts.

Quick Reply: Oakland Raiders