Northern California Northern California

How do you like them numbers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:03 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default How do you like them numbers!

After having a helluva time getting my cam to behave driveability-wise and being told by some pretty reputable local tuners it could not pass smog, I was ready to pull it out. Good thing I didn't because after working with Patrick (PatG) remotely, he not only worked with me to get passed the driveability issues, but he got it to pass the sniffer with flying colors!! Not bad for hopefully around 460 at the wheels.

This is at a shop who forced me to take off the catch can and put PCV back to stock, forced me to pull my 8mm red ignition wires and put back the ugly stock set as well as, pull my fuel rail pressure gauge. In other words he was going by the book on everything. Oh, and regular premium gas no E38.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Which cam?

What are the design numbers?

Congratulations and wait till next time!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:33 PM
choivette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Arnel that does that mean I'll be seeing at the track sometime soon?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:27 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Ignition wires? Really? That's crazy. He would have gotten an earful of four letter words and been told to stick a few thing in a few places as I layed a patch of rubber out of that place.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:00 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice Arnel, about what size cam is it? This is in a LS3 right?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I told my buddy who owns a test only station about your ignition wires and fp gauge comments and he laughed so hard he couldn't talk for 5 minutes and asked what placed fed you that line of BS. He called over 2 of his techs and they laughed for a while as well. He joked and asked me if they checked the air in your tires to see if it was the stock air from the factory *** well...
I hope you didn't take your car back to that same place for the retest and a douche bag tech doing the visual.
Be sure and post the name of this place and location so no one else goes there and gets pulled into their lines of BS.

Last edited by Z06supercharged; 01-27-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:49 AM
AVB
Safety Car

Hey Guys,

The cam is 226/235 .598”/.610” 114LSA +2 advance and yes, on an LS3. I got it with the possibility of going back to FI in the future and am very happy with it's NA performance. Satisfied enough I'm in no hurry to do anything but just enjoy it.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:54 AM
AVB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by choivette
So Arnel that does that mean I'll be seeing at the track sometime soon?
Why yes it does... I'm registered for Laguna 3/12 w/NCRC
Old 01-27-2012, 02:13 AM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AVB

After having a helluva time getting my cam to behave driveability-wise and being told by some pretty reputable local tuners it could not pass smog, I was ready to pull it out. Good thing I didn't because after working with Patrick (PatG) remotely, he not only worked with me to get passed the driveability issues, but he got it to pass the sniffer with flying colors!! Not bad for hopefully around 460 at the wheels.

This is at a shop who forced me to take off the catch can and put PCV back to stock, forced me to pull my 8mm red ignition wires and put back the ugly stock set as well as, pull my fuel rail pressure gauge. In other words he was going by the book on everything. Oh, and regular premium gas no E38.

way to go sounds like the guy got your car to pass with flying colors and to drive nice sounds like I need to get ahold of him to get my car to pass smog. The way it looks to me he knows how to tune a motor I might need you to send me his info so I can get my car done better

Pops
Old 01-27-2012, 02:31 AM
AVB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Z06supercharged
I told my buddy who owns a test only station about your ignition wires and fp gauge comments and he laughed so hard he couldn't talk for 5 minutes and asked what placed fed you that line of BS. He called over 2 of his techs and they laughed for a while as well. He joked and asked me if they checked the air in your tires to see if it was the stock air from the factory *** well...
I hope you didn't take your car back to that same place for the retest and a douche bag tech doing the visual.
Be sure and post the name of this place and location so no one else goes there and gets pulled into their lines of BS.
I did take it back to the same guy and the reason was because he let me get on the sniffer numerous times to check and re-check in between tuning changes. I did tell him needing to remove all those things were pretty stupid, but since I could take care of em in 5 minutes or so, versus removing LT's and reinstalling my A.I.R. system, which I had already done, I really didn't care.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:38 AM
AVB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BOUT X
way to go sounds like the guy got your car to pass with flying colors and to drive nice sounds like I need to get ahold of him to get my car to pass smog. The way it looks to me he knows how to tune a motor I might need you to send me his info so I can get my car done better

Pops
To be able to remote tune properly, any good tuner will require you have either EFILive or HPTuners. If you've got one of those or know someone giving you access, I'd say go for it.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:54 AM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AVB
To be able to remote tune properly, any good tuner will require you have either EFILive or HPTuners. If you've got one of those or know someone giving you access, I'd say go for it.
I just meet a local guy in Modesto that has HPTuners and said anytime I need his set up give him a call.

Thanks Arnel
Old 01-27-2012, 03:18 AM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Was it hard to get it tuned to pass? Sounds like it took a few tries. I'll be in the same situation in a couple years.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:31 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
Was it hard to get it tuned to pass? Sounds like it took a few tries. I'll be in the same situation in a couple years.
Only took two tunes to get to the one we liked and he was very confident he could get it to pass. Didn't even ask to get paid till it did Although it did require we create a smog specific tune.

Another hurdle that held things back was getting the computer to show "Ready" on all the sensors. I wasted two tank fulls before finding the right tuning parameters to get it past being "Incomplete".

Get notified of new replies

To How do you like them numbers!

Quick Reply: How do you like them numbers!