Northern California Northern California

Recommended machine shop to clean heads and possibly mill?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:21 AM
Kreeess
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommended machine shop to clean heads and possibly mill?

Hey guys got an awesome deal on a set of 243 heads planning to swap on to my ls1 coupe. My mechanic suggested I find a shop who can (hotbathe?) or clean te heads and if possible mill it as well. Do u guys have any suggestion where I can go to? I'm not planning to port n polish these heads cause I'm Saving up for a set of aftermarkets so just looking to clean these up and slap em on for the meantime
Old 03-20-2013, 05:19 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

When I bought a set of used heads I had rpm up in Rohnert park rebuild them. It cost well over $500 though as they milled them just barely to assure they were flat, lapped valves, worked the valve seats and set them correctly, thorough cleaning, new springs, etc. Considering what they did the price is fair. Most places will not do all the work rpm did unless they are instructed to. Essentially rpm returned my heads to me better than new and "blueprinted". All in all good honest shop to deal with.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Kreeess
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trackboss
When I bought a set of used heads I had rpm up in Rohnert park rebuild them. It cost well over $500 though as they milled them just barely to assure they were flat, lapped valves, worked the valve seats and set them correctly, thorough cleaning, new springs, etc. Considering what they did the price is fair. Most places will not do all the work rpm did unless they are instructed to. Essentially rpm returned my heads to me better than new and "blueprinted". All in all good honest shop to deal with.

Do u know exactly how much it came out to? The springs on the heads I got are actually still considerably new so I wouldn't need to swap em out but a thorough cleaning would be nice and mill for a good price is what I'm looking for since ill b spending the big $$ for an afermarkett set later on anyway
Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Jeffro_510
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Daves Machine in Newark, a few Bay area shops use them as well. Angie (the one who does the heads) is off for a couple of weeks. I also suggest going in person, hard to get them by phone.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it was around $600. If you re-use your springs I'd say you will save about $100, it would be best to have them tested and by the time you do that it won't save you much over new springs. When they install then they shim the springs as needed to get everything correct. All that said, I probably have about $1100 in my heads and they are done right.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommended machine shop to clean heads and possibly mill?

Quick Reply: Recommended machine shop to clean heads and possibly mill?