Northern California Northern California

Advice on driving through Yosemite

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 01:06 AM
OUFAN76
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Advice on driving through Yosemite

My son and I are driving our C5 to the Monterey Motorsports Reunion in August, from Oklahoma. On the way back, we would like to drive through Yosemite National Park. We need to know if the Tioga Pass Road is well paved. In other words, would you drive your Corvette on it? Also, Any other thoughts? Thanks.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:32 AM
1FUNVTT
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes I have driven my Corvette thru the Park. The roadway (Hwy 120) is paved and the Mountain Pass is opened. Enjoy the scenery.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:10 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

The road is fine and well maintained.

Be sure to stay close to the speed limit as the rangers are pretty hard-nosed about it.

Gas stations are few and far between (only Crane Flat and Tuolumne Meadows now if I remember correctly - none in Yosemite Valley any more) so top off when you get the chance. They aren't "scary far apart" but topping off means that you can enjoy the scenery with both eyes instead of one being on the guage

Enjoy. The drive over Tioga is easily one of the most beautiful runs in the country.

Z//
Old 06-22-2013, 09:26 AM
OUFAN76
Instructor

Thanks, guys. I can't wait.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:56 AM
megawatt1203
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

If you are spending any time in the park, take a drive up to Glacier Point. About 30 minutes from the Yosemite valley, breath taking views.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 559 Likes on 362 Posts

If you're going to be visiting more parks than just Yosemite you should consider getting a Annual Pass, or, even better if you qualify, a Senior Pass (used to be called a Golden Age Pass).

(http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm)
Old 06-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by megawatt1203
If you are spending any time in the park, take a drive up to Glacier Point. About 30 minutes from the Yosemite valley, breath taking views.
I was gonna say the same. Well worth the "side trip".

Also, the run down Hwy 395 on the east side of the Sierra is stunning scenery, too.

Z//
Old 06-22-2013, 07:47 PM
OUFAN76
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
I was gonna say the same. Well worth the "side trip".

Also, the run down Hwy 395 on the east side of the Sierra is stunning scenery, too.

Z//
Glad to hear that,, we were planning on taking 395 down to get back on I40.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OUFAN76
Glad to hear that,, we were planning on taking 395 down to get back on I40.
Which also gives you the Grand Canyon. And Meteor Crater. And Petrified Forest.

Z//
Old 06-22-2013, 08:51 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

I've been to the Meteor Crater 3 times - it's amazing and spectacular!

The winding road road goes to I-40.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:33 PM
OUFAN76
Instructor

Which also gives you the Grand Canyon. And Meteor Crater. And Petrified Forest.

Z//
We'll be spending a day at Grand Canyon on the way out. I hadn't thought about the other 2 spots, but I'll see if there's time for those also. Thanks.
I'm also looking forward to the drive up PC1. We're thinking about getting on as far south as Oxnard.
The trip out and back home look to be once-in-a lifetime experience, but the races at Laguna Seca are going to be awesome, the featured marque being Corvette this year. Is anyone else going to make it?
Old 08-26-2013, 12:03 AM
OUFAN76
Instructor

Default We're home!

Just a short note to all who responded to this thread. I'm still sorting through all the pics we took on the trip, over 4000, so I'll get some on here as soon as I can. Here's a quick recap in the meantime. On the way out, we stopped at The Painted desert/Petrified forest, Meteor Crater, and spent a day and a half at the Grand Canyon. We drove through the Mojave desert the next day, and spent the night in Palmdale CA. Early Wednesday morning, we reached the Pacific Ocean, and spent the day driving up PCH to Monterey. Along the way, we stopped at many turn-outs and beaches, walked on several beaches, got our feet wet, ate chowder in a bread bowl, took a bunch of pics. Thursday, took the Corvette to Deep Reflections, in Los Gatos, and we, (my son and I, AND the car) were given the royalty treatment by fellow Corvette Forum member, Grzldvet1. This is a story all it's own, and I hope you'll all search my posts and take a look at the thread in the Car Care section. Thursday afternoon, cruised Cannery Row (the cars in town all week are mind-blowing), and went to the Aquarium. Fri, Sat, Sun, Laguna Seca/Monterey Motorsports Reunion. This was the focal point of the whole trip. If you've been to it, you know. If you haven't, (I respectfully recommend) DO IT! I won't try to describe it, there will be pics and stories to follow, but I must tell you, those who opted to buy the Corvette Corral passes were allowed to drive their cars on the Laguna Seca track. I let my son, Corey, handle the driving while I ran the cameras. He seemed to be a natural, now he wants to enroll in Bondurant or Skip Barber! A definite highlite for both of us. Monday morning, continuing up the coast, more turn-outs and beaches, Big Sur, Bixby Creek Bridge, etc., and on into San Francisco. We had lunch at the Cliff House, drove across the Golden Gate Bridge, and took more pics. It was very gray and foggy, so we didn't stay long. We've both been there before and did all the touristy things, so we continued on towards Yosemite. Highway 120 was blocked by the fire, but the detour was one of the greatest drives in a Corvette I've ever had! We spent 2 days in the area, and those of you who told me it was one of the most beautiful drives in the country, that was an understatement. Having seen everything, and more, that we had planned, we headed for home and made it back in 2 days. My 13 year-old, 169,000 mile, 2000 Magnetic Red Corvette Coupe went 4685 miles in 14 days, never had a single problem, and got 28.6 MPG. There was more than enough room in the back for everything 2 guys need for a 2 week trip, easy on the highway, a blast in the twisty-bits (and there were a LOT of twisty-bits), and as comfortable as any car I ever taken a long trip in. Man, it was great. More later.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Holy Crap, I of all people missed this one. Looking forward to the pics
Old 08-26-2013, 05:03 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Just a short note to all who responded to this thread. I'm still sorting through all the pics we took on the trip, over 4000, so I'll get some on here as soon as I can. Here's a quick recap in the meantime...
Thanks for following up! Too bad about 120 over Tuolumne Pass. Talk about bad timing. Did you get into Yosemite Valley at all? What detour did they give you? Did you go back down hwy 395?

Glad you had a great time. There's just nothing like a good road trip, is there?

Z//
Old 08-26-2013, 10:00 PM
OUFAN76
Instructor

Thanks for following up! Too bad about 120 over Tuolumne Pass. Talk about bad timing. Did you get into Yosemite Valley at all? What detour did they give you? Did you go back down hwy 395?

Glad you had a great time. There's just nothing like a good road trip, is there?

Z//
We got off of 120 at 49, went down to Mariposa, and back up to the Southwest entrance to Yosemite via 140. We hooked back up with 120 inside the park and went right on over the Tioga Pass, and then went down to Bishop and spent the night. The next day, we backtracked to Yosemite Village and saw El Capitan.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

We got off of 120 at 49, went down to Mariposa, and back up to the Southwest entrance to Yosemite via 140. We hooked back up with 120 inside the park...
Ah, Ok. I was thinking that the fire had closed 120 down PAST Crane Flat. So you did get to do Tuloumne Meadows, etc. Excellent! Great stuff.

...and went right on over the Tioga Pass, and then went down to Bishop and spent the night. The next day, we backtracked to Yosemite Village and saw El Capitan.
Wow! That's a healthy backtrack! And worth every bit of it, too!

What a great trip for you and your son. Kudos, dad!

Z//
Old 09-08-2013, 04:38 PM
OUFAN76
Instructor

I just posted some pics on the C5 General Discussion Forum. Hope you'll check them out.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on driving through Yosemite

Quick Reply: Advice on driving through Yosemite