Northern California Northern California

C5 Failed Smog Visual have questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:52 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default C5 Failed Smog Visual have questions

The smog place I had been going to the last two times was closed for some violations. I'm guessing that's why they never questioned my Breathless Performance Vortex CAI. So I went to another shop which luck (bad luck) would have it knew a bit about Corvettes and instantly questioned the CAI. Shop owner even called Breathless to find out whether the Vortex had a CARB# or not and was told "not for sale in California".

Fortunately have most of the stock intake someplace in the garage. Got to find it and put it back together. The one piece that I may have a problem with is the stock radiator shroud which I had cut up to install the Vortex. Wonder if I could just put a piece of sheet metal or plastic over the hole? The stock air cleaner box should cover most of the hole. Also I don't want to trust my memory putting the stock pieces together - anyone have schematic, exploded drawings showing where all the pieces fit together.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:02 AM
flynbyu2
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

How about looking at a stock C5 in your area and going from there. Would that be any help?

My guess is that if everything looks stock, it will pass the visual.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:43 AM
ANTBRAX
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you need to borrow anything and my set up would work, you are more than welcome to stop by...let me know. Im all stock.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:20 AM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ANTBRAX
If you need to borrow anything and my set up would work, you are more than welcome to stop by...let me know. Im all stock.
Thanks Tony. The Z06 may be a little different though but I may stop by for a looksee. U home this weekend?
Old 08-19-2013, 01:01 AM
ANTBRAX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by napacruzerc5
Thanks Tony. The Z06 may be a little different though but I may stop by for a looksee. U home this weekend?
Sorry, missed this...Was home today and will be around tomorrow as well.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:10 AM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ANTBRAX
Sorry, missed this...Was home today and will be around tomorrow as well.
Hey Tony...Found all the stock parts then almost had it all together on Saturday but one piece was being reluctant. Slept on it and worked out the problem in a dream. Worked on it Sunday and had it all together in 15 minutes. Took it for a drive (you weren't home) and everything worked fine. Now back to the smog shop. Thanks again for your offer. Rhys
Old 08-20-2013, 12:11 AM
ANTBRAX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by napacruzerc5
Hey Tony...Found all the stock parts then almost had it all together on Saturday but one piece was being reluctant. Slept on it and worked out the problem in a dream. Worked on it Sunday and had it all together in 15 minutes. Took it for a drive (you weren't home) and everything worked fine. Now back to the smog shop. Thanks again for your offer. Rhys

Old 08-30-2013, 10:29 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Paid the registration when it was due and got back a form stating reg paid, just need smog test. Went to same shop today and they were closed for the Labor Day holiday. Went to a different shop and saw beginning to end the extensive visual test. Sniff test on rollers in first gear 25-30 mph. Then tech looked underneath with flashlight and mirror making sure cats were there, mufflers in place (B&B PRTs) then looked underneath engine compartment to look for stock exhaust manifolds. Didn't like that he removed the fuel rail covers - I wasn't sure what he was looking for (stock injectors?). How could he tell? He also removed my Window Valet to plug into the ECM port. Barely looked at the stock air intake even with the larger intake hole I had cut in the stock cover. Anyway...passed for another two years
Old 08-31-2013, 04:09 AM
FastGhost
Burning Brakes

Congrats o n the final passing the visual for the smog test

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Failed Smog Visual have questions

Quick Reply: C5 Failed Smog Visual have questions