Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 04:16 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have yet to experience a Corvette that needed any more pad than the stockers for auto-x. Remember, the stock pads are designed for awesome initial bite (cold). Since most auto-x cars only run for 60-90 seconds at a time then get to cool off, the stock pads are fine. Now, if you have a car like Richie - which I've seen run 2-drivers at a time in back-to-back-to-back sessions - fade might start to come into play. But for 99% of the auto-x folks, give the stock pads a try and I think you'll be happy.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:02 PM
C7Kevin
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by meldog21
Don't listen to Bill about how good C5 brakes are. He barely uses his brakes because he never slows down, just pitches it in to the corner and hauls ***!

Brakes are overrated, all they do is slow you down.

Dog
There, there meldog. I have heard this "brakes aren't necessary..." nonsense many times before for other cars. I didn't believe it then and I certainly do not believe it now. So dream on, little dreamer.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:06 PM
C7Kevin
Racer

Originally Posted by doje
I have yet to experience a Corvette that needed any more pad than the stockers for auto-x. Remember, the stock pads are designed for awesome initial bite (cold). Since most auto-x cars only run for 60-90 seconds at a time then get to cool off, the stock pads are fine. Now, if you have a car like Richie - which I've seen run 2-drivers at a time in back-to-back-to-back sessions - fade might start to come into play. But for 99% of the auto-x folks, give the stock pads a try and I think you'll be happy.
thanks doje,
but my major concern is not autocrossing. I just mentioned that in responding to Richie. If you must know, my major concern is fade after multiple, repeated heavy slowing events in a downhill environment. This type of braking can produce fade because of the heat generated. This is because brakes used in this way don't always get enough time to cool between brake applications.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:57 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by C7Kevin
thanks doje,
but my major concern is not autocrossing. I just mentioned that in responding to Richie. If you must know, my major concern is fade after multiple, repeated heavy slowing events in a downhill environment. This type of braking can produce fade because of the heat generated. This is because brakes used in this way don't always get enough time to cool between brake applications.
With the size of the stock brakes on a C7 Corvette, that should never become an issue.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:00 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

thanks doje,
I hardly ever even touch the brakes coming down the mountain. I always use a lower gear to keep the car from accelerating on a long steep down hill. Using 3rd, 4th or 5th will keep the car from speeding up and save the brakes.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:32 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

I have to disagree with you David. I was getting quite a bit of fade autoxing in my C4 until I upgraded.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:13 AM
C7Kevin
Racer

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I hardly ever even touch the brakes coming down the mountain. I always use a lower gear to keep the car from accelerating on a long steep down hill. Using 3rd, 4th or 5th will keep the car from speeding up and save the brakes.
That's fine for gradual downhills, Richie, but I am speaking of repeated hard braking necessary when chasing or being chased during "spirited" driving where driving speeds can vary greatly between fast straights and the turns that come at the end of those straights. There's no way that a gearbox should be used to slow a car this drastically. It merely abuses the gearbox, clutch and engine and can upset tire adhesion.
Brakes for going slower, gears for going faster, and brake pads will always be cheaper than gearbox/engine fixes. An opinion shared by many.
Multiple hard stops without adequate cooling in between can lead to fade on all cars. Better pads can reduce/remove the fade.
This is not just a Corvette issue. Some racetracks, not auto-x, are notoriously hard on brakes and require improved pads, brake fluid and better brake cooling or some combination thereof.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:54 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by kimmer
I have to disagree with you David. I was getting quite a bit of fade autoxing in my C4 until I upgraded.
Yeah, all my experience has been on C5, C5, C7. I do know from multiple friends that the C4 had severely inadequate brakes for auto-x. I know a few that have put C5 brakes on their C4 with excellent results.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:58 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

That's fine for gradual downhills, Richie, but I am speaking of repeated hard braking necessary when chasing or being chased during "spirited" driving where driving speeds can vary greatly between fast straights and the turns that come at the end of those straights. There's no way that a gearbox should be used to slow a car this drastically. It merely abuses the gearbox, clutch and engine and can upset tire adhesion.
Brakes for going slower, gears for going faster, and brake pads will always be cheaper than gearbox/engine fixes. An opinion shared by many.
Multiple hard stops without adequate cooling in between can lead to fade on all cars. Better pads can reduce/remove the fade.
This is not just a Corvette issue. Some racetracks, not auto-x, are notoriously hard on brakes and require improved pads, brake fluid and better brake cooling or some combination thereof.
You'll find that pads designed for high heat / low fade like you're speaking of will actually be much worse than stock for auto-x. Only mentioning it because you said earlier that you wanted to auto-x as well.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:38 PM
C7Kevin
Racer

You'll find that pads designed for high heat / low fade like you're speaking of will actually be much worse than stock for auto-x. Only mentioning it because you said earlier that you wanted to auto-x as well.
Thanks, doje, for your help !

Quick Reply: how to improve C7 Z51 braking ???