Northern California Northern California

Can C7 Z51 rotors be turned due to wear ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 12:15 AM
C7Kevin
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Can C7 Z51 rotors be turned due to wear ???

Does anyone know if C7 Z51 brake rotors can be turned if/when they need it due to wear or change in pads?

If so, how much can they be turned, legally, in California?
Old 08-13-2014, 12:46 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

You turn a rotor due to uneven wear, not just wear. That said, it's unlikely that after a pad wears out that you'll have a perfectly worn rotor.

There's no reason they can't be turned, it depends on how much they've been worn and how much correction needs to be made.

The rotor will typically have a minimum width stamped onto it. IE if you have a 1.250" min width, the current width is 1.260 and there's 0.012" runout, correcting the runout would go beyond the minimum width of the rotor and it would have to be replaced.

If the car is seeing track use, it may make sense to stay well over the min width as a thinner rotor will be more prone to cracking.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:37 PM
C7Kevin
Racer

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
You turn a rotor due to uneven wear, not just wear. That said, it's unlikely that after a pad wears out that you'll have a perfectly worn rotor.

There's no reason they can't be turned, it depends on how much they've been worn and how much correction needs to be made.

The rotor will typically have a minimum width stamped onto it. IE if you have a 1.250" min width, the current width is 1.260 and there's 0.012" runout, correcting the runout would go beyond the minimum width of the rotor and it would have to be replaced.

If the car is seeing track use, it may make sense to stay well over the min width as a thinner rotor will be more prone to cracking.
thanks for your help, Shark, but I have always turned rotors when replacing worn pads if only to provide a fresh surface for the new pads to bite on. I appreciate that a thicker rotor will be less prone to cracking, but 10-20 thou(if that) should not create big cracking problems.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Kevin
thanks for your help, Shark, but I have always turned rotors when replacing worn pads if only to provide a fresh surface for the new pads to bite on. I appreciate that a thicker rotor will be less prone to cracking, but 10-20 thou(if that) should not create big cracking problems.
I wasn't suggesting that you don't. I was saying that it's unlikely that after you've completely worn a pad out, that you'd be at near 0 runout on the rotor. So, turning would make sense.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:33 PM
C7Kevin
Racer

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
I wasn't suggesting that you don't. I was saying that it's unlikely that after you've completely worn a pad out, that you'd be at near 0 runout on the rotor. So, turning would make sense.
Thanks, Shark,

I like a vibration-free brake pedal and am very sensitive about rotors that are wavy.

Get notified of new replies

To Can C7 Z51 rotors be turned due to wear ???

Quick Reply: Can C7 Z51 rotors be turned due to wear ???