Northern California Northern California

Sunday at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:55 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Sunday at Laguna Seca

At midday there were 6 Corvettes in the Corral.

I got to chat with Lynn St James - she drove this car on the track.

Also, briefly talked to Mike Joy - he was doing a piece on this car.

Flaagan, arrived after you, left before you. I looked for you. At least I got to see your C7 - looks great!
Old 08-18-2014, 02:17 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

There weren't many more Vettes in the Corral on Saturday. Pretty sad, based on what Larry was telling me showed up in years past, and we had a great location for the day.

Hoping they do the same with better participation next year!
Old 08-18-2014, 03:02 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Here's Saturday in 2012

Old 08-18-2014, 03:15 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Here's Saturday in 2006

Old 08-18-2014, 04:01 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

More pictures from Sunday

From the Corvette Corral

Old 08-18-2014, 10:48 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Sad and pathetic. Name any type of sports car or exotic car and they were better represented at the biggest event of its kind in this country. Richie always says that counts are down at speed events because to many waxers are buying Corvettes. Judging by this turnout I would say that a lot of owners are not even car enthusiasts.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by folsomlarry
Sad and pathetic. Name any type of sports car or exotic car and they were better represented at the biggest event of its kind in this country. Richie always says that counts are down at speed events because to many waxers are buying Corvettes. Judging by this turnout I would say that a lot of owners are not even car enthusiasts.
Here's the strange part- I would have parked my Vette in the corral Saturday but when I bought my admission tix for the races they told me the corral passes were sold out. There might have been a lot of folks like me who would have been there if corral passes had been made available. I'd really like to know at what number the track decided to cut off sales for corral passes.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:43 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
Here's the strange part- I would have parked my Vette in the corral Saturday but when I bought my admission tix for the races they told me the corral passes were sold out. There might have been a lot of folks like me who would have been there if corral passes had been made available. I'd really like to know at what number the track decided to cut off sales for corral passes.
That is strange. I think there were 14 cars in the corral on Saturday
Old 08-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I tried to buy tickets for Friday and was told they were sold out. Really sad.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:20 AM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Gerughty
I tried to buy tickets for Friday and was told they were sold out. Really sad.
I was there on Friday and only saw five or six Corvettes in the corral. I saw a few more parked on the inside of Turn 5. I think there were only 10 or 15 total cars, Corvette and otherwise in Corvette Corral early Friday afternoon.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:23 AM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Originally Posted by folsomlarry
Interesting comment about the waxers. A waxer would have been twitching if they had parked their car in the dirt lot of the Corvette Corral on Friday, at least with the wind blowing all the dust around. I figured it would wash off along with the bugs and bird crap on my car (always does), but there was one guy who had his cover on. I guess he didn't think it would wash off.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:30 AM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Originally Posted by C6BOB
More pictures from Sunday

From the Corvette Corral

Nice photos. What is the oldest white car?

Old 08-19-2014, 01:07 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

What is the oldest white car?

Early 1900's Franklin
Old 08-19-2014, 01:15 AM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

What is the oldest white car?

Early 1900's Franklin
Oh - I didn't realize the name painted on the hood was the maker.

It is beautiful.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:21 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

What is "Germ Processed" motor oil? (from the vintage Conoco sign next to the Franklin)
Old 08-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Given the lack of use at the Corvette Corral, I really wonder if they didn't hope to push the Lakebed Area preferred parking spots at $75 each. We split the cost for a spot there with friends but that kept me from taking my Vette to the races and, of course, put more $$$ in their pockets.

Either that or there was an error in counting the purchases of corral passes, because I don't see any way that a bunch of us bought passes and didn't use them. It's just not adding up.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:51 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
What is "Germ Processed" motor oil? (from the vintage Conoco sign next to the Franklin)
I found this:

I would like to give you some information regarding the recent question about Conoco Germ Processed motor oil. The original refinery and world headquarters of Marland Refining Co. was founded in Ponca City, Okla., in 1917 and incorporated in Delaware in 1921. In 1920, it was estimated that E. W. Marland and his partners controlled 10 percent of the world’s oil production. Mr. Marland was always seeking capital to expand. He secured financial backing from J.P. Morgan, who forced him out of his company in 1928. At that time Marland Oil Co became Continental Oil Co (Conoco). According to the book “Conoco: The First One Hundred Years,” Marland acquired rights for exclusive use in North America to the “Germ Process,” a method of improving lubricating oil that had been patented by two British scientists. I made a trip to the Conoco museum here at Ponca City and asked the staff if they knew exactly what the “Germ Process” was. They have several items in the museum from oil cans to advertising material, but nothing to tell what the actual process was. I also have a book, “The Conoco Collector’s Bible,” which has the most information. It says that Germ Processing was the first motor oil additive ever used by any oil company. Germ Processing was a special oiliness (polar) additive invented and patented by British scientists Wells and Southcombe in 1918. It was made from castor oil components. In 1934, Conoco developed a synthetic version called GD-160, later called MDS. This MDS was the material referred to as “Oil Plating” on cans and in advertisements. “Germ Processed” was chosen as the name of the first motor oil because it was a “germ of an idea.” Germ Processed motor oil was run in a destructive test on the Indianapolis track in 1933. Six identical Chevrolet cars were run continuously at a rate of 50 mph. One car used Germ Processed oil and the other five used competitive oils. No oil addition was allowed during the test. The car using the Germ Processed motor oil went 4,729 miles before engine failure. That was 1,409.2 miles and 116.88 percent over the average and 42.5 percent farther than the nearest competitor. AAA gave the product sanction number 3001 after the test.

There is more. In the early 1930s, Germ Processed oil became available in refinery-sealed, one-quart cans. Prior to that, it was sold only in bulk. There were nine different quart cans produced from 1930 to 1940. They say that the Germ Processed name was used from 1922 to 1940. There is also a picture in the “First Hundred Years” of the Miller Special driven by Dale Evans that raced in the 1930 Indy 500. It used Conoco Germ Processed oil. It says that the Conoco oil was the first stock oil to place in the event. I’m not sure what oil the other race cars used back then.

E. W. Marland, after losing the company, went on to become a congressman and the 10th governor of Oklahoma. There are many things here in Ponca City related to the oil boom days of the ’20s and ’30s. Two of E.W. Marland’s homes are now owned by the city of Ponca City and are open to the public, including his 55-room, 48,000-square foot mansion, sometimes referred to as the “Palace on the Prairie.”
- See more at: http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/news/qa....gyKVdzjV.dpuf

Get notified of new replies

To Sunday at Laguna Seca

Old 08-20-2014, 05:47 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

The NRB C7 was mine, the XLR next to it was my father's. We showed up around 10ish on Sunday and left around 3ish.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:13 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

I found this:

I would like to give you some information regarding the recent question about Conoco Germ Processed motor oil. The original refinery and world headquarters of Marland Refining Co. was founded in Ponca City, Okla., in 1917 and incorporated in Delaware in 1921. In 1920, it was estimated that E. W. Marland and his partners controlled 10 percent of the world’s oil production. Mr. Marland was always seeking capital to expand. He secured financial backing from J.P. Morgan, who forced him out of his company in 1928. At that time Marland Oil Co became Continental Oil Co (Conoco). According to the book “Conoco: The First One Hundred Years,” Marland acquired rights for exclusive use in North America to the “Germ Process,” a method of improving lubricating oil that had been patented by two British scientists. I made a trip to the Conoco museum here at Ponca City and asked the staff if they knew exactly what the “Germ Process” was. They have several items in the museum from oil cans to advertising material, but nothing to tell what the actual process was. I also have a book, “The Conoco Collector’s Bible,” which has the most information. It says that Germ Processing was the first motor oil additive ever used by any oil company. Germ Processing was a special oiliness (polar) additive invented and patented by British scientists Wells and Southcombe in 1918. It was made from castor oil components. In 1934, Conoco developed a synthetic version called GD-160, later called MDS. This MDS was the material referred to as “Oil Plating” on cans and in advertisements. “Germ Processed” was chosen as the name of the first motor oil because it was a “germ of an idea.” Germ Processed motor oil was run in a destructive test on the Indianapolis track in 1933. Six identical Chevrolet cars were run continuously at a rate of 50 mph. One car used Germ Processed oil and the other five used competitive oils. No oil addition was allowed during the test. The car using the Germ Processed motor oil went 4,729 miles before engine failure. That was 1,409.2 miles and 116.88 percent over the average and 42.5 percent farther than the nearest competitor. AAA gave the product sanction number 3001 after the test.

There is more. In the early 1930s, Germ Processed oil became available in refinery-sealed, one-quart cans. Prior to that, it was sold only in bulk. There were nine different quart cans produced from 1930 to 1940. They say that the Germ Processed name was used from 1922 to 1940. There is also a picture in the “First Hundred Years” of the Miller Special driven by Dale Evans that raced in the 1930 Indy 500. It used Conoco Germ Processed oil. It says that the Conoco oil was the first stock oil to place in the event. I’m not sure what oil the other race cars used back then.

E. W. Marland, after losing the company, went on to become a congressman and the 10th governor of Oklahoma. There are many things here in Ponca City related to the oil boom days of the ’20s and ’30s. Two of E.W. Marland’s homes are now owned by the city of Ponca City and are open to the public, including his 55-room, 48,000-square foot mansion, sometimes referred to as the “Palace on the Prairie.”
- See more at: http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/news/qa....gyKVdzjV.dpuf
Wow, Thanks! The only thing I could imagine was that is was like the mold/sludge that grows in old diesel fuel if you let it sit too long!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:51 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

That's what I was thinking.

Quick Reply: Sunday at Laguna Seca