Northern California Northern California

Yosemite to San Jose

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:06 PM
IloveKaren
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yosemite to San Jose

Can anyone advise me on the best route out of Yosemite Valley and into San Jose?
I'm thinking route 140 west to San Luis Reservoir, then route 152 and up the 101.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:42 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

i prefer 120 to 108 to 99 and 5 (briefly) and then 580 to 680 unless I leave from their SW entrance. Then the 'southern' way as you described is the way I'd take.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:16 AM
IloveKaren
Advanced

Originally Posted by TerryL
i prefer 120 to 108 to 99 and 5 (briefly) and then 580 to 680 unless I leave from their SW entrance. Then the 'southern' way as you described is the way I'd take.
thanks Terry,
it's interesting--- your route is almost exactly the same in terms of distance. I wonder which would be more scenic.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:06 AM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

It's all yellow grass fields once you leave the green of the Sierra foothills and Yosemite. All two lanes with a couple little towns to go thru. I've ridden motorcycles all over those roads and ride the route I listed far more often. BTW, highway 4 just east of Arnold leads you to Calaveras Big Trees SP that has some of the largest and oldest 'old growth' giant Sequoias on the planet. Their north grove is open year round and they have a nice path to walk
Old 11-08-2014, 02:05 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Got your PM. Coming in from LA I would go up 395 to Tioga Pass(It is open) down Tioga Road, take a quick tour of the Valley and head out 140, 59, to 152. You do a two exit dance on 99, to get to 59. The trip through the Merced River Canyon is definitely the way to go.
Plus the ride up Lee Vining Canyon is simply spectacular. The fall color is gone in the high country, but there is just a touch left in the Valley.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Merced River drive is nice, especially with little traffic.

I like route 4 too though.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:54 AM
IloveKaren
Advanced

Default Thanks to Everyone

Thanks everyone, for your advice.

I ended up taking the 5 to the 140 and got a room at a reasonable little place just outside the gate, called the Yosemite View Lodge. Pretty nice actually, had a terrace over the river there.

Day 1, I went into the Valley afternoon and night (visited the Ahwahnee).
Day2, I checked out, drove up to Glacier Point, and down to Mariposa Grove and the Sequoias. Headed west to a buddy in SF. Day3-Watched the fog roll in over Twin Peaks, and the Golden Gate. Up to Napa, checked in at the Wine Country Inn (nice little spot).
Day4- down the PCH through Big Sur, deal on a room at the Lone Oak Lodge in Monterey (great value), and then chugged it back to LA.

All in all, one hell of a trip !

Only bad part is I got clipped by the cops on the 280 out of SF (they cited me for 92 in a 65) ------Anyone have any advice on how to handle the ticket????
Old 11-26-2014, 02:02 AM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by IloveKaren
Thanks everyone, for your advice.

I ended up taking the 5 to the 140 and got a room at a reasonable little place just outside the gate, called the Yosemite View Lodge. Pretty nice actually, had a terrace over the river there.

Day 1, I went into the Valley afternoon and night (visited the Ahwahnee).
Day2, I checked out, drove up to Glacier Point, and down to Mariposa Grove and the Sequoias. Headed west to a buddy in SF. Day3-Watched the fog roll in over Twin Peaks, and the Golden Gate. Up to Napa, checked in at the Wine Country Inn (nice little spot).
Day4- down the PCH through Big Sur, deal on a room at the Lone Oak Lodge in Monterey (great value), and then chugged it back to LA.

All in all, one hell of a trip !

Only bad part is I got clipped by the cops on the 280 out of SF (they cited me for 92 in a 65) ------Anyone have any advice on how to handle the ticket????
Sounds like a nice loop. Sorry about the revenuer. Was it in San Mateo County? If so, it's going to be expensive even if you get traffic school as an option. Full fine, court costs, administration fee for traffic school and then the price of whatever traffic school you choose. Do it online. It's a snap. A friend got a tkt in that county for crossing the double yellow on a two lane road and it cost him over $300. He also had a clean record. If its not offered you'll have to appear to ask for it, maybe plead guilty to get it. You or an attorney can appear on an infraction or misdemeanor. Of course, an attorney will also cost you. Do you live close enough or would it be cheaper to have a local attorney appear for you? Those are your options other than trying to contest it.

Get notified of new replies

To Yosemite to San Jose

Quick Reply: Yosemite to San Jose