Northern California Northern California

Sales tax and other fees new car sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:03 AM
c7fasteddie
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sales tax and other fees new car sale

A ?, do you pay sales tax when buying a new auto based on the dealers county or your place of residence county? Also beside a doc fee of max $80 for Ca, what dose the dmv fees amount to,Lic;registration ;etc etc. Can a dealer add any other fees or items without your approval? Thanks for feedback.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:25 AM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

Re sales tax, you pay a 'Use Tax' based on the county where you live. It is typically equal to the sales tax for that county.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:50 AM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by c7fasteddie
A ?, do you pay sales tax when buying a new auto based on the dealers county or your place of residence county? Also beside a doc fee of max $80 for Ca, what dose the dmv fees amount to,Lic;registration ;etc etc. Can a dealer add any other fees or items without your approval? Thanks for feedback.
Sales tax can vary even within a county, because some cities have added sales tax. You pay sales tax according to where you live, not where the dealership is.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:28 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GotCorvette?
Sales tax can vary even within a county, because some cities have added sales tax. You pay sales tax according to where you live, not where the dealership is.
You pay based on the address you register the car at...
Old 01-30-2015, 02:39 PM
c7fasteddie
Racer

OK, so it's settled, you pay sales tax not a use tax based on your city or county residences, in my case 7.5% El Dorado County.
The rest of my question, this will be for those that have bought a new Vette in the last year or so. How do all other fees and Lic and registration break down, and most important can a dealer add other fees? Im not talking about a dealer who adds extra markup to the base price like they do on some hot cars, i.e..c7 stingray. tks.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:57 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever

You pay based on the address you register the car at...
Correct. That's a little more accurate than what I said.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:35 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by c7fasteddie
OK, so it's settled, you pay sales tax not a use tax based on your city or county residences, in my case 7.5% El Dorado County.
The rest of my question, this will be for those that have bought a new Vette in the last year or so. How do all other fees and Lic and registration break down, and most important can a dealer add other fees? Im not talking about a dealer who adds extra markup to the base price like they do on some hot cars, i.e..c7 stingray. tks.
There is a "SMOG Abatement" fee of, I think $20, to offset the cost of not having to smog new cars the first 6 years (rolled in with your other DMV fees). Most dealers, if not all, will file electronically with the DMV. And of course there's a fee for that, usually $20. They will try to sell you extended warranty, paint protection, etc.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:51 PM
Cyber_C7
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My taxes were calculated based on address of registration. Alameda County. Paid the fees to Les Stanford, MI and they in turn supplied a check to the courtesy dealer with my paperwork. I took it when I picked up the car. I don't know if this is the norm, but it was simple and no hassle. The Alameda County 8.75% (now 9%) rate hurt like hell, but what can you do.

You can calculate your total fees on the CA DMV website. I did this to insure neither dealer added any hidden fees. The courtesy dealer already had $500 coming.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:44 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=Cyber_C7;1588847745]You can calculate your total fees on the CA DMV website. I did this to insure neither dealer added any hidden fees. QUOTE]

Agreed, the dmv web site is a great resource to calculate your expected fees in advance so there are no surprises when you do your final paperwork. Also, it will give the detailed breakdown you are looking for.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:55 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

country of residence
Old 02-06-2015, 02:25 PM
c7fasteddie
Racer

[QUOTE=harrydirty;1588898999]
Originally Posted by Cyber_C7
You can calculate your total fees on the CA DMV website. I did this to insure neither dealer added any hidden fees. QUOTE]

Agreed, the dmv web site is a great resource to calculate your expected fees in advance so there are no surprises when you do your final paperwork. Also, it will give the detailed breakdown you are looking for.
Thanks, just what I was looking for, want to be sure no last minute switchero.

Get notified of new replies

To Sales tax and other fees new car sale

Quick Reply: Sales tax and other fees new car sale