Mojave Magnum April 11th & 12th registration is open

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Mojave Magnum April 11th & 12th registration is open

Hi guys,
Just an FYI, the Mojave Magnum (1.5 mile event this year) on the weekend of April 11th & 12th opened for registration today. See link: http://www.mojavemile.com/ There are a few of us from the South Valley Corvette Club driving down to Mojave on Saturday the 11th to run our cars for the one day Sunday event on the 12th (less expensive than running both days). Is anyone in this group planning on attending this event? If so, hope to hook up with you in Mojave on April 11th or 12th. Keith
Old 02-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Boat Racer
Hi guys,
Just an FYI, the Mojave Magnum (1.5 mile event this year) on the weekend of April 11th & 12th opened for registration today. See link: http://www.mojavemile.com/ There are a few of us from the South Valley Corvette Club driving down to Mojave on Saturday the 11th to run our cars for the one day Sunday event on the 12th (less expensive than running both days). Is anyone in this group planning on attending this event? If so, hope to hook up with you in Mojave on April 11th or 12th. Keith

I signed up for both days. See you there
Old 02-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Charles Gerughty
I signed up for both days. See you there
Good to hear Chuck. I just now saw your name on the entry list for both days. See you there.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:48 PM
EPIC C5Z
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I am still on the fence about going. I've done almost all their mile events since the first one back in 2010, but have yet to do the 1.5 mile event.

I'm still trying to get the Z geared up to break 175 in the mile. The additional .5 will be for fun!

Hope to make it out!
Old 02-10-2015, 11:24 AM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Good to hear Chuck. I just now saw your name on the entry list for both days. See you there.
I'll be driving down Friday with George Saioc. He just bought a new
ZO6 with the ZO7 performance package. I'm really interested in how the top speed of the new ZO6 will compare with my ZR1.

Just a note to George - The new ZO6 top speed is less than 200 mph and when you put that cute young girlfriend in the car you will never hit 200 mph unless you drive mine.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

I'll be driving down Friday with George Saioc. He just bought a new
ZO6 with the ZO7 performance package. I'm really interested in how the top speed of the new ZO6 will compare with my ZR1.

Just a note to George - The new ZO6 top speed is less than 200 mph and when you put that cute young girlfriend in the car you will never hit 200 mph unless you drive mine.
It will be good to see how the new C7 Z06 with the Z07 option top speed compares with the ZR1. Is your ZR1 stock or modded?
Old 02-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

It will be good to see how the new C7 Z06 with the Z07 option top speed compares with the ZR1. Is your ZR1 stock or modded?
Yes it is stock. No more unwarranted engines for me.

I'll be running in the "Showroom Stock - Exoctic" class. It allows you to run up to 200 mph without a roll cage. One of the requirements of this class is the car must be stock.
According to the rulebook one of the lesser exoctics allowed in this class is the ZR1

Last edited by Charles Gerughty; 02-11-2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2015, 12:55 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Yes it is stock. No more unwarranted engines for me.

I'll be running in the "Showroom Stock - Exoctic" class. It allows you to run up to 200 mph without a roll cage. One of the requirements of this class is the car must be stock.
According to the rulebook one of the lesser exotics allowed in this class is the ZR1
That SSE "Showroom Stock Exotic" class will be very interesting to watch this year at Mojave. Including your car, there are 4 Corvettes signed up so far, along with 2 Porsche GT3's, a Aston Martin DB9, Audi R8, Porsche 911 Turbo S and a McLaren 12C Spider, all just in the SSE class. I would have liked to entered in SSE (vs. A2) so that I wouldn't have had to install the harness bar but my aftermarket supercharger wasn't allowed in that class. I'm hoping for 200 but it will likely take a good tail wind to get me there.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:14 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

This will be my first time running a top speed event like this. Typically I'm out at Buttonwillow, Willow Springs etc. doing road racing. It sounds like you guys have a bit of expierence at this event so I'm hoping you can help me out a bit.

I have a 2008 Z06 with the ZR1 front splitter and the Katech extended spoiler. I'm wondering should I remove those 2 items for this event?

Also, I'm trying to decipher the class rules. My goal is to just hit 200mph. What do I need to be "allowed" based on classing to do that in a C6 Z06? I already have Harness Bar, 6point Harness, Hoosier R6's. However it looks like I may also need a full Nomex Race Suit, Underwear, and Nomex Shoes? Is that correct? Or can I get by without the nomex lineup?

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-11-2015, 01:29 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dapopa9
This will be my first time running a top speed event like this. Typically I'm out at Buttonwillow, Willow Springs etc. doing road racing. It sounds like you guys have a bit of expierence at this event so I'm hoping you can help me out a bit.

I have a 2008 Z06 with the ZR1 front splitter and the Katech extended spoiler. I'm wondering should I remove those 2 items for this event?

Also, I'm trying to decipher the class rules. My goal is to just hit 200mph. What do I need to be "allowed" based on classing to do that in a C6 Z06? I already have Harness Bar, 6point Harness, Hoosier R6's. However it looks like I may also need a full Nomex Race Suit, Underwear, and Nomex Shoes? Is that correct? Or can I get by without the nomex lineup?

Thanks for the help!
I can't comment regarding if removing the ZR1 front splitter and Katech extended spoiler would be beneficial or not but I can comment the class rules. In order to be legal to go above the 175 mph "base" speed limit, both the car and the driver need to have the required safety equipment. It sounds like your car would pass tech for the 200 mph class but the driver also needs the appropriate safety equipment to be allowed to go to 200 mph. I don't remember the exact rules on the Nomex suit but I think if you have a two layer suit, you don't also need the Nomex underwear. Besides the suit and shoes, you would also need arm restraints. The rule book goes into far more detail. Here's a link to this years rule book: http://www.mojavemile.com/images/pdf..._2015_v800.pdf
Old 02-11-2015, 01:40 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

I can't comment regarding if removing the ZR1 front splitter and Katech extended spoiler would be beneficial or not but I can comment the class rules. In order to be legal to go above the 175 mph "base" speed limit, both the car and the driver need to have the required safety equipment. It sounds like your car would pass tech for the 200 mph class but the driver also needs the appropriate safety equipment to be allowed to go to 200 mph. I don't remember the exact rules on the Nomex suit but I think if you have a two layer suit, you don't also need the Nomex underwear. Besides the suit and shoes, you would also need arm restraints. The rule book goes into far more detail. Here's a link to this years rule book: http://www.mojavemile.com/images/pdf..._2015_v800.pdf

Thanks for pointing out the arm restraints. Must of overlooked that! I've never had arm restraints...just did a quick google search and found these - http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-arm-restraints Where do these attach to other than my arms?
Old 02-11-2015, 01:49 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Thanks for pointing out the arm restraints. Must of overlooked that! I've never had arm restraints...just did a quick google search and found these - http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-arm-restraints Where do these attach to other than my arms?
I think those are the exact same arm restraints that I have. The other end attaches to the "connector" for where all the ends of your harness attach. I forgot to mention that you will also need Nomex gloves (but you probably already have those) and a Nomex head sock if you have facial hair or long hair. I found the rule on the Nomex suit. If you have a SFI 3.2A/5 rated suit, then you don't also need the Nomex underwear.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:56 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

I think those are the exact same arm restraints that I have. The other end attaches to the "connector" for where all the ends of your harness attach. I forgot to mention that you will also need Nomex gloves (but you probably already have those) and a Nomex head sock if you have facial hair or long hair. I found the rule on the Nomex suit. If you have a SFI 3.2A/5 rated suit, then you don't also need the Nomex underwear.
Ok...so i have a 6point cam lock harness. It plugs somewhere into the cam lock then?

I have the head sock and gloves. So looks like my buy list is the suit, shoes, and arm restraints.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

The arm restraints have a metal ring on the ends that I slip around the shoulder harness connectors just before I plug them into the cam lock. I'm not sure that is the correct way to attach the arm restraints but the tech guys at Mojave have never had a problem with me doing that.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:13 PM
EPIC C5Z
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Also note, that each year, the rules and safety requirements can change.

I always read through the rule book several times to make sure I know what specifically applies to me in the class I run in.

If I still have questions about anything, I reach out to Mike or Keith (or am conected with one of their vehicle tech people) at MKM directly. They have never steered be wrong!

With the way their rule book is written, it can be very easy to miss something that could make it so you can't run or run in the class you anticipated.

There is some good information in the posts above, but ultimately, you have to make sure you are following the letter of the Mojave Mile rule book.

Just trying to help
Old 02-11-2015, 06:22 PM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I guess you won't wear the Nomex underwear but I recommend wearing the aftermarket Depends cuz brother at those speeds one Fart might turn in to poop lol. Have fun guys.

Pops
Old 02-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BOUT X
I guess you won't wear the Nomex underwear but I recommend wearing the aftermarket Depends cuz brother at those speeds one Fart might turn in to poop lol. Have fun guys.

Pops
that is so funny and I hope not going to happen.

Get notified of new replies

To Mojave Magnum April 11th & 12th registration is open

Old 02-15-2015, 09:35 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

How many runs do you typically get in one day? I will be there just Saturday.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

How many runs do you typically get in one day? I will be there just Saturday.
It really depends on how many cars that end up signing up. If they fill up to the limit, I'm guessing that you might only see 3-4 runs on Saturday. Usually some of the people that sign up for both days, go home early on Sunday so I expect to be able to get 6-7 runs in on that day.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:46 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Signed for Saturday.
Rooms are going fast

Last edited by JrRifleCoach; 02-15-2015 at 11:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Mojave Magnum April 11th & 12th registration is open