Northern California Northern California

Hans device

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:36 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Hans device

I have to buy a Hans type device for one race. I see that there are several that meet SFI 38.1 standards. I have read that the Hans puts pressure on the shoulder area. Anyone tried any of the other brands?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:13 AM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good question. I am in need of one also.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:54 AM
DUMAN
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by folsomlarry
I have to buy a Hans type device for one race. I see that there are several that meet SFI 38.1 standards. I have read that the Hans puts pressure on the shoulder area. Anyone tried any of the other brands?
Check with Ron I know he uses a Hans
Old 03-10-2015, 10:39 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I use a DefNder Hans device and it works well. It does put pressure on your shoulders, but it's better than snapping your head off if you get in a major accident. They are costly (about $950) for only having to use it once so if you want to borrow mine, you're more than welcome to do so. You do have to drill holes in your helmet to mount the hardware, but it's not to hard to figure out.

They recently discontinued the brand I have, but I think it still meets the SFI spec that you need.

http://www.defnderneckbrace.com/
Old 03-10-2015, 04:31 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I use a DefNder Hans device and it works well. It does put pressure on your shoulders, but it's better than snapping your head off if you get in a major accident. They are costly (about $950) for only having to use it once so if you want to borrow mine, you're more than welcome to do so. You do have to drill holes in your helmet to mount the hardware, but it's not to hard to figure out.

They recently discontinued the brand I have, but I think it still meets the SFI spec that you need.

http://www.defnderneckbrace.com/
Thanks Rich, I may have to take you up on the offer!! I sent an e-mail to SVRA to make sure they accept it. Just thinking that if we keep the car for another season the chances are that every organization will require them, so I might just buy one. Found this site that compares the various brands:

http://www.racedaysafety.com/whhenere.html
Old 03-10-2015, 05:05 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should do some research on the various Hans devices available on the market. I have seen some videos, and not all the various devices work the same. Some appear to have very little protection, and you should do some homework. The HANS brand is a very well known quantity for various reasons but everyone should lookaround and find what works best for themselves.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:27 PM
rbrumm
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I have used a Hans device for years with no noticeable additional shoulder pressure than the race harness gives you.

I have tried the defender but I did not like the harness down my back.

if you buy a Hans , you can also replace the standard padding with their gel padding

check out www.nasaproracing.com look in the forum section under drivers attire there are a few listed

get it with sliding tethers
Old 03-21-2015, 10:19 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Ended up getting the NecksGen Rev. It supposed to arrive today so I can get my helmet setup and use it for a test day at Thunderhill tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:55 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

NecksGen Rev worked great. Thanks to Amazon, I ordered it on Thursday and had it on Saturday. Several good online video's on how to install it. I used it yesterday at a test day at Thunderhill, and I forgot I even had it on, except when getting in and out of the car. It's insane how expensive these devices are compared to a helmet.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:22 AM
DUMAN
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

NecksGen Rev worked great. Thanks to Amazon, I ordered it on Thursday and had it on Saturday. Several good online video's on how to install it. I used it yesterday at a test day at Thunderhill, and I forgot I even had it on, except when getting in and out of the car. It's insane how expensive these devices are compared to a helmet.
I think I am going to try one of the also.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:19 AM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm surprised that you liked the NecksGen Larry. I bought one a few years ago and it pinched my collar bone and the tethers on it caused so much drag that it limited my ability to rotate my head so much that I stopped wearing it! I could not turn my head to back up or look over my shoulder. I ended up selling it and buying a HANS and when I have that on it's so light that I can not even tell it's there and it causes zero resistance when attempting to rotate your head. Guess the moral of the story is that everyone is built different so just like with helmets, if you can try before you buy
Old 03-25-2015, 10:50 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Werks
I'm surprised that you liked the NecksGen Larry. I bought one a few years ago and it pinched my collar bone and the tethers on it caused so much drag that it limited my ability to rotate my head so much that I stopped wearing it! I could not turn my head to back up or look over my shoulder. I ended up selling it and buying a HANS and when I have that on it's so light that I can not even tell it's there and it causes zero resistance when attempting to rotate your head. Guess the moral of the story is that everyone is built different so just like with helmets, if you can try before you buy
The Rev model is their newest model and I bought it after reading a lot of reviews on it. It is very small and light weight and does not have the winglets. I have some bad vertebrae in my neck so I was afraid of trying a couple of the other companies devices that reviews said put pressure on the shoulder area. As you say, everyone is built different so they need to do their research.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:59 AM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Good to hear that they updated it and resolved some of the issues that I ran into with the earlier model!

Get notified of new replies

To Hans device

Quick Reply: Hans device