Northern California Northern California

Hooked on Driving ThunderHill May 8th

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 02:58 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Hooked on Driving ThunderHill May 8th

Roll call... Who's coming out to play in May?

We all know that HOD offers the best local track days and with them offering a handful of 5 mile days, they are at the top of my list for HPDE's. With the support they give the local track rats, we try to support them and show up with a few cars. Last time we came out, there were 10 Corvettes in our group and a few very fast drivers.

If you're new to owning a Corvette or haven't done a track day yet, don't fear because HOD has some of the best instructors available to make you comfortable in your car and on the race track.

Hopefully we can get a few of the local track rats out there to drive their cars like they are supposed to be driven.

Post up if you can make it. This might be the last spring day before summer temps hit.

RICH
Old 04-14-2015, 03:23 PM
DUMAN
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Man I wish I could get the day off. I know it will be a great day.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:02 PM
Along4theRide
CF Old Timer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Wish I could make it. I'll be at Laguna Seca on May 22 with HOD. Have a great time!
Old 04-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Dado5
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Richie.

Do you think my car will pass noise level at thunderhill? I dont think i am over 103db at woot?

"there is a 103dB noise restriction. Typically, you will get one try to repair the situation after receiving a black flag. It is unlikely that you would receive a third chance. In the event that you are unable to meet the noise level, your car will not be allowed on the track for the remainder of the day. Refunds will not be issued for noise violations, so please make sure that you are under the limit."
Old 04-14-2015, 06:36 PM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I'm in. Schedule looks good for once.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:19 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Dado5
Richie.

Do you think my car will pass noise level at thunderhill? I dont think i am over 103db at woot?

"there is a 103dB noise restriction. Typically, you will get one try to repair the situation after receiving a black flag. It is unlikely that you would receive a third chance. In the event that you are unable to meet the noise level, your car will not be allowed on the track for the remainder of the day. Refunds will not be issued for noise violations, so please make sure that you are under the limit."
Honestly, I've never heard of Thunderhill enforcing any noise limits. Put it this way, if my car at WOT on the front straight hasn't raised any eyebrows then I think you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by 69dodgecharger
I think I'm in. Schedule looks good for once.
Hell yeah Ryan. The 5 mile is the best road course that I've ever driven and I don't think it will ever get old.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:53 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Huh, I m ay have to come out and watch..... And maybe stay in the area for the weekend......I have a big event to go to Sat in the area ....HE HE...
Old 04-14-2015, 09:34 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I plan to go, HOD seems to be the only ones doing track days on the 5 mile configuration.
I've been black flagged with b&b prt exhaust and no cats. I have cats and borla touring now... getting old.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:43 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ptroxx
Huh, I may have to come out and watch..... And maybe stay in the area for the weekend......I have a big event to go to Sat in the area ....HE HE...
That works. I am going to take it easy Friday night after the track day because we will all have a bog day on Saturday.

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
I plan to go, HOD seems to be the only ones doing track days on the 5 mile configuration.
I've been black flagged with b&b prt exhaust and no cats. I have cats and borla touring now... getting old.
Awesome. Come and hang out with us. We will have the eazy ups, refreshments and we're really good at bench racing in the pits.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:45 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Can't make May 8, but the 3 amigos (all with black 08 Z's) are going to the May 7 HOD event. It's the 3 mile course which is still a good time.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:10 PM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Wish I could, but will be getting everything ready for that Saturday event.

This is a great event and perfect opportunity for anyone on the fence!
Old 04-15-2015, 06:42 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I wish....
Old 04-16-2015, 10:15 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by moose.b3
Can't make May 8, but the 3 amigos (all with black 08 Z's) are going to the May 7 HOD event. It's the 3 mile course which is still a good time.
Come on, what's one more day at the track?

Originally Posted by tunaman
Wish I could, but will be getting everything ready for that Saturday event.

This is a great event and perfect opportunity for anyone on the fence!
We have a lot to do also, but I can't pass up the last chance at a cool spring day on the 5 mile. Just like you, I want the best B-day week ever.

Originally Posted by Werks
I wish....
I know and I will certainly miss you, especially if there are no other fast cars up there that I can play a little cat and mouse with.

Originally Posted by sg7025
I just put it on my calendar, should be a fun day.
-Greg
Nice Greg. Hope to see you there.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:23 PM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by richierichz06

we have a lot to do also, but i can't pass up the last chance at a cool spring day on the 5 mile. Just like you, i want the best b-day week ever.
best week e v e r !!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2015, 12:45 AM
kertong
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Roll call... Who's coming out to play in May?

We all know that HOD offers the best local track days and with them offering a handful of 5 mile days, they are at the top of my list for HPDE's. With the support they give the local track rats, we try to support them and show up with a few cars. Last time we came out, there were 10 Corvettes in our group and a few very fast drivers.

If you're new to owning a Corvette or haven't done a track day yet, don't fear because HOD has some of the best instructors available to make you comfortable in your car and on the race track.

Hopefully we can get a few of the local track rats out there to drive their cars like they are supposed to be driven.

Post up if you can make it. This might be the last spring day before summer temps hit.

RICH
I am interested, just two questions: are rental helmets available, and where do I sign up?

Last edited by kertong; 04-17-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:56 AM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hell yeah Ryan. The 5 mile is the best road course that I've ever driven and I don't think it will ever get old.[/QUOTE]

Just registered.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:33 AM
FredSM
Drifting

Originally Posted by kertong
I am interested, just two questions: are rental helmets available, and where do I sign up?
Sure do! Small to XXL. All open face.

Here's the link: http://www.hookedondriving.com

Lots of resources on there too. No 5-mile line video. Hmmm. Need to fix that.

I too love the new West side. Definitely a challenge for cars with big power. Can you say "decreasing radius corner"? THill West has 3! Even the East/West connectors are unbelievable. Designers try to trick you into thinking it is extremely twisty, yet it is a textbook course for keeping your head up and seeing through the corners! I've done a few, uh, spirited laps in a C7. Yowza!

FM

Get notified of new replies

To Hooked on Driving ThunderHill May 8th

Old 04-17-2015, 10:15 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by kertong
See Fred's link below and just search for Nor Cal events on their page.

Originally Posted by 69dodgecharger
Hell yeah Ryan. The 5 mile is the best road course that I've ever driven and I don't think it will ever get old.

Just registered.
Nice, you're going to love the 5 mile.

Originally Posted by FredSM
Sure do! Small to XXL. All open face.

Here's the link: http://www.hookedondriving.com

Lots of resources on there too. No 5-mile line video. Hmmm. Need to fix that.

I too love the new West side. Definitely a challenge for cars with big power. Can you say "decreasing radius corner"? THill West has 3! Even the East/West connectors are unbelievable. Designers try to trick you into thinking it is extremely twisty, yet it is a textbook course for keeping your head up and seeing through the corners! I've done a few, uh, spirited laps in a C7. Yowza!

FM
Thanks for the links Fred. with everything you said about the new track. It really gives us the best of both worlds. You get the 140+ MPH front straight and high speed corners of the east track and then you come over the hill, down the roller coaster to start the west side and you have a lot of very technical, but awesomely fun turns. It is amazing how fast you can actually go through some of the corners back there and how important carrying momentum is.

Did I mention that we are all lucky to have such a bada$$ track in our own back yard?
Old 04-17-2015, 10:45 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

And if you have half a chance, I highly recommend a session as a passenger in the Rumble Bee - Richie is amazingly fast all around the track, but he carves up the west side exceptionally well. Bring your Depends!
Old 04-17-2015, 12:11 PM
kertong
Pro

Thanks everyone - registered for the May 8th event! Can't wait!!

I've only been on the thunderhill 3mile course around 5 years ago, in my 2004 C5Z. I've had a few different cars between then and now, but it's all too appropriate that I'll be back there in my 2015 C7!

I'll be the guy there in my satin white C7 - hope to see you guys there!!

Last edited by kertong; 04-17-2015 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Hooked on Driving ThunderHill May 8th