Northern California Northern California

Corvette show Blackhawks Plaza 4-26.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 06:10 PM
ROADRACER_
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Read the threads completely! Did I mentioned any clubs? I was referring in general!
Old 04-25-2015, 06:16 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ROADRACER_
Read the threads completely! Did I mentioned any clubs? I was referring in general!
Well, since typically about 95% of the people who participate in the shows belong to clubs, it only stands to reason that they would win about 95% of the awards, no?
Old 04-26-2015, 03:13 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by GotCorvette?
I was never a member of their club and I have three first-in-class awards from their shows.
Same here..... no club affiliation here and I have a Best Shark and a 2nd place award from Corvette Spectacular and a few other awards from a few other shows.... I stopped doing the shows as I more enjoyed just going to the shows and hanging with friends....

I just don't have the dedication some of these people have when cleaning their cars......
Old 04-27-2015, 03:11 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Politics at its finest. I pull into the parking lot this morning and see half of the parking lot is blocked off with cones,reserved for Santa Clara Corvettes. This won't work for me because my intention all along was to get there early so I can park in the shade. So I pull up next one of the guys watching the spots, point to the place where I'm going to park,he moves the cone and I park the car. A few minutes later this guy comes up and tells these spots are reserved,I point to my car and say that ones not. Now here's what really gets on my nerves. I got up at 5 in the morning just to make sure I get a good spot as well as the other people that were there before me while all the people in the Corvette clubs that these spots were reserved for can take their time and mosey on whenever they feel like it. Did they get up at 5 in the morning to ensure they got a spot, hell no they didn't need to! This was only entering my second Corvette show after 4 Corvettes and 30 years of being an owner,and my last. Corvette Dave,it was nice meeting you.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:40 AM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Politics at its finest. I pull into the parking lot this morning and see half of the parking lot is blocked off with cones,reserved for Santa Clara Corvettes. This won't work for me because my intention all along was to get there early so I can park in the shade. So I pull up next one of the guys watching the spots, point to the place where I'm going to park,he moves the cone and I park the car. A few minutes later this guy comes up and tells these spots are reserved,I point to my car and say that ones not. Now here's what really gets on my nerves. I got up at 5 in the morning just to make sure I get a good spot as well as the other people that were there before me while all the people in the Corvette clubs that these spots were reserved for can take their time and mosey on whenever they feel like it. Did they get up at 5 in the morning to ensure they got a spot, hell no they didn't need to! This was only entering my second Corvette show after 4 Corvettes and 30 years of being an owner,and my last. Corvette Dave,it was nice meeting you.
I agree that parking spaces should be on a first-come, first-served basis. If a club wants to park together, they should caravan and arrive together. Myself, I always preferred to park next to someone I have never met. The whole purpose of these events, to me, was to meet people and make new friends.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:39 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Old 04-27-2015, 07:03 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

I sure have to agree with this saving parking spots issue..... If you want to get good parking get up early like all the others that want good spots..... When I want to make sure I get a good spot at an event im up at 430 am and leave as early as possible...
For me most all the shows I go to are hours away from me.... Like when I did car shows and went to SCC show a few times.....I was up at 4am to drive the 2 hours to get to the show.... No way I could ask for them to hold me a spot...... Sure don't think its fair for others....Just my .02 not that it means anything ...
Old 04-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

When I used to go to WSCC car shows, they averaged around 100 cars.
I was entry # 92 and got a great spot in the Sun.

These cars don't melt. I guess the shade would have been nice if one wanted to sit on their backside all day but then the pollen from the trees would have played havoc on any car's paint.

I wasn't part of the process for this event so I don't know the reason for the cones but I do know that cars from DVC were also parked in those spots. It wasn't just SCC. I'll be glad to ask about that at our next Board meeting.

If anyone really wants something to complain about it should be the time it took to tally the voting. That was embarrasing. I will also be asking if there is any way to elimate that wait.

So now with all that said wasn't it a beautiful day in a wonderful setting. Yes, even for a guy parked in the Sun.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:11 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by Charles Gerughty

I wasn't part of the process for this event so I don't know the reason for the cones but I do know that cars from DVC were also parked in those spots. It wasn't just SCC. I'll be glad to ask about that at our next Board meeting.
. What are you going to ask,that they can reserve more spots for the next show? My point being there should be no reserve spot. You get there early you get a spot, show up as a group,park as a group. As far at it being a nice sunny day, I wouldn't know, I was sitting on my a$$ in the shade. If your comfortable letting your car roast in the sun,great. I won't park my car in the sun if I don't have to and it shows. Crap from the trees wipes off.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:15 AM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

. What are you going to ask,that they can reserve more spots for the next show? My point being there should be no reserve spot. You get there early you get a spot, show up as a group,park as a group. As far at it being a nice sunny day, I wouldn't know, I was sitting on my a$$ in the shade. If your comfortable letting your car roast in the sun,great. I won't park my car in the sun if I don't have to and it shows. Crap from the trees wipes off.
Hi Jeff;

I was going to ask why they reserved spots not if they were going to reserve more spots. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have an answer for you.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:11 AM
ROADRACER_
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just like I said favoritism at its finest. You wonder how many more people would participate in these events if you don't have these problems.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:15 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

As promised I did speak to the event director and was advised that it is a courtesy that is extended to all clubs. The point being that club members like to park together and SCC did call before the event and advised NCAA they were bringing over 30 cars to the event.

I too like the idea of the "Early bird gets the worm" but reserved parkng is a "Professional' and not a "Political" courtesy that is extended to all clubs at our events.

Now please don't shoot the messanger as I'm just passing the word along and have nothing to do with any decisions are made.

P.S - Nice ZR1. I had the other white ZR1 at the event.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:20 PM
vetteguy4
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that parking spaces should be on a first-come, first-served basis. If a club wants to park together, they should caravan and arrive together. Myself, I always preferred to park next to someone I have never met. The whole purpose of these events, to me, was to meet people and make new friends.
FYI: I am the event chair person. To respond to your statement, Santa Clara club did caravan(all 27 cars) and arrived at the same time!
Old 04-29-2015, 12:25 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by Charles Gerughty
As promised I did speak to the event director and was advised that it is a courtesy that is extended to all clubs. The point being that club members like to park together and SCC did call before the event and advised NCAA they were bringing over 30 cars to the event.

I too like the idea of the "Early bird gets the worm" but reserved parkng is a "Professional' and not a "Political" courtesy that is extended to all clubs at our events.

Now please don't shoot the messanger as I'm just passing the word along and have nothing to do with any decisions are made.

P.S - Nice ZR1. I had the other white ZR1 at the event.
Why,thank you very much. I only saw one other ZR1 and that was the white C6,beautiful car.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Why,thank you very much. I only saw one other ZR1 and that was the white C6,beautiful car.
That was mine. It is a 2013 and I am the second owner. I usually don't go to car shows as I prefer tracking it but NCAA is my club so I go to their event. Maybe someday I'll see you at Laguna Seca.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:45 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Let me dive in here, as we have done many winners, several of which are daily drivers or psuedo garage queens that get driven
GotCorvette is correct, it takes time and dedication. We did a car last Saturday and the owner and I went over it with a microscope multiple times. I know what judges look for and we concentrated on those areas. He won 1st place in his class. Is there some politics involved... sometimes, but my experience with that has been rare. Most judges try to be fair. If we do a car and it loses, I am all over the winner's car looking it over to see what the difference between the car we did and the car that won. Almost every time there was something that was missed or the final prep was not correct.
Several cars we have done have been 1st, or best in show and had no club affiliation.
I will let you take it from here
Old 04-30-2015, 01:10 AM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
Let me dive in here, as we have done many winners, several of which are daily drivers or psuedo garage queens that get driven
GotCorvette is correct, it takes time and dedication. We did a car last Saturday and the owner and I went over it with a microscope multiple times. I know what judges look for and we concentrated on those areas. He won 1st place in his class. Is there some politics involved... sometimes, but my experience with that has been rare. Most judges try to be fair. If we do a car and it loses, I am all over the winner's car looking it over to see what the difference between the car we did and the car that won. Almost every time there was something that was missed or the final prep was not correct.
Several cars we have done have been 1st, or best in show and had no club affiliation.
I will let you take it from here
I have 19 first-in-class awards in 34 shows. two thirds and the rest are seconds. I'm retired now but I'm available as a consultant if you need one.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette show Blackhawks Plaza 4-26.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:14 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Wow. This thread makes me laugh. For clear disclosure, here's a little about me....

11 year member of Western States Corvette Council
11 year member of Santa Clara Corvettes
8 year Board of Directors member Santa Clara Corvettes
2 year Board of Directors member Western States Corvette Council
2 years as Car Show Director for Santa Clara Corvettes
3 years Director of Score Keeping for Corvette Spectacular
2 years Director of Judging for Corvette Spectacular
Several committees (including chairperson) in regards to WSCC Car Show rules
Over 100 WSCC car shows entered
Over 50 individual events as a judge

Now that everyone knows my personal slant....

With all due respect, ROADRACER is an idiot. He clearly has some serious sour grapes over some previous incident - whatever it may be.

Our rules are carefully written and enforced in order to ensure fairness in judging. As someone who is VERY well known at any show I enter, that simply doesn't help. The cleanest car wins. As someone who frequently judges these shows, I can tell you that most of the time I haven't got a clue who owns the car I'm looking at - even when it's a friend.

At the last show (the one this thread is supposed to be about) I came in 18th out of 18 in my class. The cleanest car wins.

Do club members win the majority of the first place trophies? You betcha! They make up the majority of the entries. Also, they do this 12-15 times per year, EVERY YEAR. Just like Tiger Woods will beat you in golf, the serious car show guys will beat you in car show. They have been "dinged" by enough judges that they know every little spot that needs to be cleaned and double-checked. Did you remember to clean the taillight screws? They did. Did you remember to clean the lugnuts? They did. Did you remember to clean the blinker stalk? They did. Simply put, they are professionals and you are an amateur.

Don't try to claim that they beat you because they have the judges on their sides. They beat you because they have EXPERIENCE on their sides. They beat you because they have a cleaner car.

Is this the best way to clean a car show? Well, that can be debated until the cows come home. Regardless, they win because they follow the know the rules and they follow them.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:01 AM
jhong321
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by doje
Wow. This thread makes me laugh. For clear disclosure, here's a little about me....

11 year member of Western States Corvette Council
11 year member of Santa Clara Corvettes
8 year Board of Directors member Santa Clara Corvettes
2 year Board of Directors member Western States Corvette Council
2 years as Car Show Director for Santa Clara Corvettes
3 years Director of Score Keeping for Corvette Spectacular
2 years Director of Judging for Corvette Spectacular
Several committees (including chairperson) in regards to WSCC Car Show rules
Over 100 WSCC car shows entered
Over 50 individual events as a judge

Now that everyone knows my personal slant....

With all due respect, ROADRACER is an idiot. He clearly has some serious sour grapes over some previous incident - whatever it may be.

Our rules are carefully written and enforced in order to ensure fairness in judging. As someone who is VERY well known at any show I enter, that simply doesn't help. The cleanest car wins. As someone who frequently judges these shows, I can tell you that most of the time I haven't got a clue who owns the car I'm looking at - even when it's a friend.

At the last show (the one this thread is supposed to be about) I came in 18th out of 18 in my class. The cleanest car wins.

Do club members win the majority of the first place trophies? You betcha! They make up the majority of the entries. Also, they do this 12-15 times per year, EVERY YEAR. Just like Tiger Woods will beat you in golf, the serious car show guys will beat you in car show. They have been "dinged" by enough judges that they know every little spot that needs to be cleaned and double-checked. Did you remember to clean the taillight screws? They did. Did you remember to clean the lugnuts? They did. Did you remember to clean the blinker stalk? They did. Simply put, they are professionals and you are an amateur.

Don't try to claim that they beat you because they have the judges on their sides. They beat you because they have EXPERIENCE on their sides. They beat you because they have a cleaner car.

Is this the best way to clean a car show? Well, that can be debated until the cows come home. Regardless, they win because they follow the know the rules and they follow them.

Well Said And this is why I don't enter Car shows
I think the average Corvette owner does not understand the amount of time that goes into preparing a car for the show. A few years back i tried to enter one of these shows and the night before I spent about 2-3 hours cleaning my car. ( I thought it was perfect) Only to find out that these "car show guys" spend 8 hours working on there car.
and I was not even close to the expectation of the judges of these shows.
Kudos to all of you that win these car show.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:44 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Excellent post, doje. Now go clean your damn car up.

Quick Reply: Corvette show Blackhawks Plaza 4-26.