Northern California Northern California

Tragic Story

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 05:15 PM
LS14ME2
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Gerughty
So true. It's all over the local news here in Livermore. I don't even want to take my Corvette out of my garage for fear someone will associate me with him.

They are also bashing the Livermore Wine Festival as he was there earlier in the day.

Hey Reporters it is not the Corvette or the Wine Festival that made this happen. It was the Doucebag.

I recently read a woman got 30 years for a DUI where she killed 2 people after she sent a text :2 drunk 2 Care". Hopefully he will get the same.
I was downtown all day Saturday, and whether there was a festival or not, the bars were hopping as usual, also the fight of the century was on that afternoon as well.
Channel 2 news was festival this, corvette that... as if either was the real issue.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:43 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

We have a saying in the business... "It's never news until it happens to you."
This story fits that scenario. Those of you a bit sensitive to the way local stations are reporting this story need to know a few facts. The mugshots and accident reports are supplied to local stations by the arresting jurisdiction.
Livermore Police sent out the info.
In EVERY case where there is a fatality, hit & run, pedestrian fatality or homicide involving a vehicle... the make, and sometimes color of the vehicle is supplied to local Media by Police.
This story is no different. If you don't believe me just Google recent fatalities in the Bay Area involving pedestrians and you will see that they ALL report make of vehicle.

If you think the Corvette is getting picked on in this case... I think your priorities are a bit screwed up.

A family lost two people...because a Drunk Driving suspect didn't think enough about anyone else to quit after a couple of glasses of wine. Period.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by KENS78SILVERANNIV
This story fits that scenario. Those of you a bit sensitive to the way local stations are reporting this story need to know a few facts. The mugshots and accident reports are supplied to local stations by the arresting jurisdiction.
In EVERY case where there is a fatality, hit & run, pedestrian fatality or homicide involving a vehicle... the make, and sometimes color of the vehicle is supplied to local Media by Police.
This story is no different. If you don't believe me just Google recent fatalities in the Bay Area involving pedestrians and you will see that they ALL report make of vehicle.

If you think the Corvette is getting picked on in this case... I think your priorities are a bit screwed up.

A family lost two people...because a Drunk Driving suspect didn't think enough about anyone else to quit after a couple of glasses of wine. Period.

I think we all agree Who not What is at fault here. 2 people have lost their lives and what remains of their family might never heal. I believe we all feel that is the real priority.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:01 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Good and accurate post. Good to see you here again, Ken. I watch you on TV often. You're very good at what you do.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:36 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

I respect your comments, but perhaps you failed to note that we all made the victims the first priority in our comments.

I accept your statement that public safety always supplies the vehicle make, but I also know that the media does not always report it in their stories. They choose what to sensationalize and how to spin the news.

I gather from other posts that you are in broadcast media yourself. (Ken Bastida Ch 5 ?) It seems that perhaps you are a bit sensitive to perceived criticism of other media types who do not meet your own standards.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 05-05-2015 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-09-2015, 03:30 PM
MTCWBY
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Gerughty
So true. It's all over the local news here in Livermore. I don't even want to take my Corvette out of my garage for fear someone will associate me with him.

They are also bashing the Livermore Wine Festival as he was there earlier in the day.

Hey Reporters it is not the Corvette or the Wine Festival that made this happen. It was the Doucebag.

I recently read a woman got 30 years for a DUI where she killed 2 people after she sent a text :2 drunk 2 Care". Hopefully he will get the same.
I made the mistake of driving that way home for work and will go a different way for a while. I was at the speed limit in a line of cars and still got a couple dirty looks as I passed yesterday.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:48 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by MTCWBY
I made the mistake of driving that way home for work and will go a different way for a while. I was at the speed limit in a line of cars and still got a couple dirty looks as I passed yesterday.
Media effect confirmed..............
Old 05-11-2015, 01:46 AM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

So pissed...followed a drunk driver in a silver Toyota Tundra 580 west bound from Livermore this eve...after he almost side swiped us because he was HAMMERED. Pulled up along side of him and he looked like a hunched-over zombie behind the wheel. He was all over the damn place, almost hitting many other cars. CHP couldn't get to him/us in time...

Followed him as he exited in Dublin. Called Dublin PD. Moron hit the concrete barrier on the exit and later almost hit a car head on while going down Dougherty Rd. at 50mph.

Followed him to an apartment complex in Dublin and waited for the cops. If it weren't for being with family, I would have gotten up close and personal with the moron. Cops got there like 2 minutes too late, as he apparently exited the truck and got into an apartment. I left as there were 2 squad cars and several cops looking for the guy.

Sad to think this guy likely got away it to do it again another day. He's definitely going to kill someone. Worst drunk driver I've ever witnessed. WTF is wrong with people like this? How could anyone get behind the wheel in that state? Way too many of them out there!!!

Makes my blood boil just thinking about it again. I hope this guy witnesses a single car accident fatality soon (up close and personal).
Old 05-11-2015, 09:40 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I agree, the type of car is not important really but the news will find its way to this car forum being a Corvette. The message here is a stupid careless preventable act took two lives.

And another hot rodding driver showing off isn't bad enough he does it while intoxicated.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:09 PM
MTCWBY
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
So pissed...followed a drunk driver in a silver Toyota Tundra 580 west bound from Livermore this eve...after he almost side swiped us because he was HAMMERED. Pulled up along side of him and he looked like a hunched-over zombie behind the wheel. He was all over the damn place, almost hitting many other cars. CHP couldn't get to him/us in time...

Followed him as he exited in Dublin. Called Dublin PD. Moron hit the concrete barrier on the exit and later almost hit a car head on while going down Dougherty Rd. at 50mph.

Followed him to an apartment complex in Dublin and waited for the cops. If it weren't for being with family, I would have gotten up close and personal with the moron. Cops got there like 2 minutes too late, as he apparently exited the truck and got into an apartment. I left as there were 2 squad cars and several cops looking for the guy.

Sad to think this guy likely got away it to do it again another day. He's definitely going to kill someone. Worst drunk driver I've ever witnessed. WTF is wrong with people like this? How could anyone get behind the wheel in that state? Way too many of them out there!!!

Makes my blood boil just thinking about it again. I hope this guy witnesses a single car accident fatality soon (up close and personal).
Had one of those a couple of years ago when the drunk pulled out, sideswiped a car going past, and then drove off at high speed. We followed him trying to get a plate but he was nuts enough to run a busy red light and I didn't see the point of being the second car going through a red light. And of course it was the rare case where neither of us was carrying our phone.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:22 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MTCWBY
Had one of those a couple of years ago when the drunk pulled out, sideswiped a car going past, and then drove off at high speed. We followed him trying to get a plate but he was nuts enough to run a busy red light and I didn't see the point of being the second car going through a red light. And of course it was the rare case where neither of us was carrying our phone.

Wow, crazy. These kinds of morons shouldn't be allowed to live, if they are so blatantly able/willing to risk the lives of everyone else IMO. It's only a matter of time.

I'll be sick to hear of someone dying due to the moron drunk driver I encountered when knowing he should have gotten caught/incarcerated when I last saw him.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:43 PM
Z06Hulk
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sad ending

This is most upsetting is based on the fact that a mother didn't get to see Mother's Day, lives lost, families destroyed, and the impact on all of the people it involves. When you begin to count the people immediately affected by this tragedy (siblings, aunts/ uncles, cousins, grand parents, friends, neighbors, relatives, etc..) the number quickly grows exponentially.
To use the word "sadenneing" would be an incredible understatement. This is a very painful thing to hear about, and my thoughts and prayers go out to the families, and to the community.
Heartbreaking
Old 05-22-2015, 01:50 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Just read today that they are going to charge him with murder.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:33 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

Charged with two murder counts, Jones faces two counts of felony driving under the influence of alcohol, causing injury, as well as multiple victim and excessive speed clauses.

Link.....

http://patch.com/california/livermor...om-baby-girl-0

Link indicates he drove thru the area at speed of 75 to 99 MPH....I would think this area would be 35 to 40 MPH max. Guess they found the black box........screwed for good.

Last edited by John A. Marker; 05-22-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Tragic Story