Northern California Northern California

Light Tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 12:28 AM
Vett4MVZ
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Light Tune

Looking for someone to tweek my 2000 coupe.
Cold air, Catbacks, manual trans.
Not looking for full Dyno tune, just a little mor throttle response
MVZ
Old 10-20-2015, 01:08 AM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 258 Posts

Matt from GP Tuning. He's in Hayward.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:06 AM
paul17
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nick newtech tune
Old 10-29-2015, 03:36 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

if you want it done right hit up matt at GP tuning for sure, he did my car and he did a great job and great guy
Old 11-04-2015, 06:18 PM
BodaciousBlue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt tune my vette 2 years ago and it still running awesome...

Matt's phone number 650-302-1574 to make an appointment
Old 11-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

You could pick up a DiabloSport inTune and tune it yourself. I worry about the local tuners not because they don't do good work, but they lock the tune so it cannot be altered by anyone but them. So if you ever need a retune, you have to use them at whatever price they demand or if they happen to disappear, you are going to have to pay a lot of money to replace the computer. With the DiabloSport, you are in control. You can tune it or return it back to stock anytime you want. There are also custom tuners out there that will make a tune for your car.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:51 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
You could pick up a DiabloSport inTune and tune it yourself. I worry about the local tuners not because they don't do good work, but they lock the tune so it cannot be altered by anyone but them. So if you ever need a retune, you have to use them at whatever price they demand or if they happen to disappear, you are going to have to pay a lot of money to replace the computer. With the DiabloSport, you are in control. You can tune it or return it back to stock anytime you want. There are also custom tuners out there that will make a tune for your car.

I know for a fact that neither Rick@Synergy or Matt@GTP lock their tunes. As a matter of fact, neither did Robert@Advanced or Nick@Newtech. Whoever locked your tune should have his *** whooped - you own that tune since you paid for it.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:04 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by tlove32
I know for a fact that neither Rick@Synergy or Matt@GTP lock their tunes. As a matter of fact, neither did Robert@Advanced or Nick@Newtech. Whoever locked your tune should have his *** whooped - you own that tune since you paid for it.
This is untrue or they changed policies since my experience. I know for a fact Rick locked his tunes because a friend (with a Camaro) tried to get a retune from Nick that was previously tuned by Rick. Nick was unable to because it was locked. Friend had to go back to Rick to unlock/clear it before having Nick retune. My tune on my 2005 C6 as well as my other friend’s 2001 Z06 was locked by Nick. Since the tune on my friend’s Z06 he upgraded to a turbo and needed it retuned but this was during the time Nick was MIA due to (I think) medical issues. No one else could retune cause it was locked and my friend had to order a completely new computer from the dealership.

I know there was a post on the Norcal-LSX regarding the inability to get a hold of Nick because people needed to get their tunes unlocked. I can't seem to get on their forum to find it (looks like their forum is down). But I remember quite a few people upset with the tunes being locked.

I will say this. I specifically asked Nick if he locks his tunes when he did my 2005 C6. He said that he does not lock his tunes. But it was in fact locked. When asked again why it was locked he mentioned something along the lines of not wanting other people “copying” his tunes.

Also, I should point out that the DiabloSport inTune will also lock the tune to your car. The good thing about the tuner is that if you return your car to stock and it will be unlocked again. But if you lose the tuner, well...you might have to replace the PCM.

Edit: I found this old post from Rick himself saying he locked his tunes.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1552793932

Once again, his policies may have changed since then but you never know...

Last edited by Homer3D; 11-11-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:23 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

That must have been a while back. Back then all the tuners around here were claiming the "new guys" were copying their tunes......which some probably were. I've had a copy of HP-tuners since 2008-2009....and I always extract the tune after I've been tuned. I've NEVER had a locked tune....and I still have all my tunes from Rick, Nick, Robert and Matt.

Last edited by tlove32; 11-11-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:58 PM
transAm-98
Advanced

Rick keeps his tunes unlocked for the most part these days. However there have been times with certain customers or cars where Rick has felt the need to lock the file. But you would really have to be up to some shady stuff to make him feel the need to lock it.

Last edited by transAm-98; 11-11-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Neither Nick or Rick locked their tunes back in 2008 on my car.

I remember asking both and both said they never did.

I would think this to be true for the most part.

Always exceptions.....
Old 11-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

if you paid for it. It shouldn't be unlock.

Last edited by Kouasupra; 11-11-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:21 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Kouasupra
if you paid for it. It shouldn't be unlock.
?
Old 11-12-2015, 12:53 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Boomer111
?
It shouldn't be lock. (That's what happen when your typing around 2am in the morning.)
Old 11-12-2015, 02:47 PM
transAm-98
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kouasupra
It shouldn't be lock. (That's what happen when your typing around 2am in the morning.)
If you have customers that you know like to bounce around from tuner to tuner behind your back and then come back and try to get a re-tuned as a re-tune fee after multiple people have been playing with the tune, that's a problem. Or if someone likes to bounce around to different tuners and have the tune constantly played with by different people and then something breaks. Who is going to take the blame on that one? Too many cooks in the kitchen so to speak. Or maybe spending a lot of time writing a custom operating system for big boost and a mismatched transmission combo, then the customer goes somewhere else and has someone copy all that work that took years to figure out. Or worse, another tuner tampers with it, the customer isn't forthcoming with that info and then blames the original tuner for for any problems. The vast majority of people don't do things like this. But there are a handful of people that will try to get over or play games and try to be sly. That being said, if one of those situations were to arise and the customer is honest about what they plan to do or what happened I've yet to see any tuner refuse to unlock a PCM.

Get notified of new replies

To Light Tune

Quick Reply: Light Tune