Northern California Northern California

Good tuners/installers in Northern Ca today

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 03:12 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 319 Posts

Everyone thank you for your replies. I am hoping that this thread would act as a useful tool to others looking for a local shop and not a pissing contest if you will. I called Josh on Thursday at Starkweather and not only was he very informative he was also reasonable. I thought about this more and have decided I am going to just do the install myself. It is going to be a bit of a task (Supercharger, long tubes, Meth kit, and anything else I want) so for the price I would pay in labor one of the new lifts I want in my own shop will be paid for. It just might take me a couple days worth of work but whats a modified car if you don't have your own blood under the hood. Hell Ill have a mod party and I guarantee others will be here to support.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:29 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by teddyca
Everyone thank you for your replies. I am hoping that this thread would act as a useful tool to others looking for a local shop and not a pissing contest if you will. I called Josh on Thursday at Starkweather and not only was he very informative he was also reasonable. I thought about this more and have decided I am going to just do the install myself. It is going to be a bit of a task (Supercharger, long tubes, Meth kit, and anything else I want) so for the price I would pay in labor one of the new lifts I want in my own shop will be paid for. It just might take me a couple days worth of work but whats a modified car if you don't have your own blood under the hood. Hell Ill have a mod party and I guarantee others will be here to support.
im in for the mod part... im a good tool jockey ,,,,,,let me know what date your thinking and I can make sure to try and not have anything planned,,or can tell you if there are other big events going on....

also ,, you need to come to my big run on april 9th,,ill be posting more about it very soon... its already posted on corvetteSyndicate,com
Old 01-23-2016, 05:36 PM
ROADRACER_
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It's great you had an opportunity to talk with Josh. My friend is talking about sending his car to him later on this year. Good luck on your install.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:37 AM
mylftft
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ROADRACER_
It's great you had an opportunity to talk with Josh. My friend is talking about sending his car to him later on this year. Good luck on your install.

Here is a Z28 we did last week. It baselined at 459 rwhp when it arrived, it was all stock. We added Advanced Induction CNC ported stock casting heads with all the goodies, secret spec camshaft, Brian Tooley Racing platinum series valvetrain, American Racing 2 " longtube headers and a Starkweather Performance Dyno / street tune. Car laid down 617 rwhp when we were done with it.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:02 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by mylftft

Here is a Z28 we did last week. It baselined at 459 rwhp when it arrived, it was all stock. We added Advanced Induction CNC ported stock casting heads with all the goodies, secret spec camshaft, Brian Tooley Racing platinum series valvetrain, American Racing 2 " longtube headers and a Starkweather Performance Dyno / street tune. Car laid down 617 rwhp when we were done with it.
That's a sinister looking Z/28 for sure. Does he track the car? Not many of the people modding the Z/28's are taking them on the road course.

Was that on 100 octane? What intake? That's a ton of power for just H/C and long tubes even with a donkey d!ck sized cam.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:06 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Valaya Motorsports in San Jose does a great job with installs also... I've sent many customers who need installs of parts and repairs. They do alot of work on track prep vehicles and also do general maintaince.

Ask for Ted May and tell him Mike from TPS Motorsports referred you and they will give you a special rate

valayamotorsports.com/
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 01-27-2016, 05:18 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Old 01-29-2016, 07:37 PM
Steve@RSD
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Teddy,
Good for you! When you get it done lets go meet up at a dragstrip somewhere and have a friendly race. I still got my old 217K mile C5 coupe that I will bring just for fun.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:02 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by TPSMak
Valaya Motorsports in San Jose does a great job with installs also... I've sent many customers who need installs of parts and repairs. They do alot of work on track prep vehicles and also do general maintaince.

Ask for Ted May and tell him Mike from TPS Motorsports referred you and they will give you a special rate

valayamotorsports.com/
Hi Mike.

You know I went to this shop when i first got my 08. I ended up using you of course.

He seemed knowledgeable enough but his shop was a total mess. Lots of Vipers too.

I just could not get over the tools all over the cars and the mess on the tables. This just lead me to believe that the proper care was not present.

It look more like a demolition shop more than a speed shop.

I know he has a rep in the Viper world.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:54 AM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Hi Mike.

You know I went to this shop when i first got my 08. I ended up using you of course.

He seemed knowledgeable enough but his shop was a total mess. Lots of Vipers too.

I just could not get over the tools all over the cars and the mess on the tables. This just lead me to believe that the proper care was not present.

It look more like a demolition shop more than a speed shop.

I know he has a rep in the Viper world.
Dave,

Yes the building their in is not the newest BUT because it's not all glitz your not paying $150+ an hour. I know Ted, the owner, is very good to his customers and he's replaced some people from the past.

He has a great rep with Vipers and honestly does as good as a job on Vettes. I was just there yesterday dropping off some items and they had about 5 Vettes for various work such as suspension and big brake upgrades.

I would say for anyone who is looking to have ANY car worked on whether it be performance or general maintenance they should give Valaya.. they won't regret. One of the cool things customers will like is the opportunity to walk their shop and look at the projects and to actually talk to Ted directly
Old 02-07-2016, 10:05 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Performance In-frame tuning in Napa got me the best tune to date.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:19 PM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mylftft
Hi! I'm Josh Starkweather, I'm sorry if you've had a hard time getting ahold of us, I return all messages and phone calls as soon as I can each day. My personal mobile number is 209-985-5603 I'd like to get the chance to talk about your project with you, call me anytime.
Thanks for the number Josh I will get ahold of you very soon I have got some stuff already and about ready to get it done.

Dale
Old 02-25-2016, 09:56 PM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I was down at Josh's shop last Saturday when they hosted a Dyno day for the Camaro club. We had a great turn out with 40+ cars and some getting tuned afterwards. Josh and Nate is at the top of echelon when it comes to working with GM vehicles. Their work is detailed/clean done with a lot of pride in the workmanship which is second to none. Who knows maybe we can host a dyno day sometime this year for the Corvettes if you guys are interested.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:52 AM
Is2scooby
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

A Vette dyno day sounds awesome!
Old 02-26-2016, 09:05 AM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Originally Posted by Is2scooby
A Vette dyno day sounds awesome!
If you guys are serious on getting together, then I'll get with Josh on coordinate with him & Nate to put one together on a Saturday sometime in this year. This would be a good opportunity to introduce another source for you guys specializing in full service GM performance with an in house dyno.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:48 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEEDEMON
If you guys are serious on getting together, then I'll get with Josh on coordinate with him & Nate to put one together on a Saturday sometime in this year. This would be a good opportunity to introduce another source for you guys specializing in full service GM performance with an in house dyno.
Great idea! I know of a few of us South Valley guys that would take a drive to Turlock for a dyno day.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:44 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by SPEEDEMON
Originally Posted by Boat Racer
Great idea! I know of a few of us South Valley guys that would take a drive to Turlock for a dyno day.
Id be down to spearhead this GTG if no one else wants to...

We haven't do a dyno day in a long time.......

Get notified of new replies

To Good tuners/installers in Northern Ca today

Old 02-26-2016, 05:31 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Let know if I can help as Starkweather is 5 minutes away.

--Dan
Old 02-26-2016, 10:24 PM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

I'll get with Josh & Nate next week and see if we can schedule a date to do a Dyno Day for Corvettes. In addition to that I will also see if my factory GM Chevrolet Performance rep will be available to attend this dyno session like he did with the Camaros.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:03 AM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 258 Posts

^^ if it happens I'll be there.

Quick Reply: Good tuners/installers in Northern Ca today