NASCAR Sonoma

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:26 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 117 Posts

Default NASCAR Sonoma

I'll post this in off topic and Northern CA.
I'd like to catch the race at Sonoma this summer.
If you've been where is the best place to sit? I saw what the website suggested. I'd prefer seeing as much of the track as possible.
Does it sell out or should I wait until the last minute and get tix via Stubhub or similar?
Thanks.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:52 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Ive sat in 3 different areas.... Turn 7 turn 2 and the grans stands... nice thing about the grandstands is you have shade as it can get hot ... but all the turns have a big TV to watch the entire race .... I liked turn 2 a lot as you can see them coming around the front stretch..... But ive had enough of all the crazy crowds that are at the track these days so the best seat for the race these days is in front on my big screen at home drinking my own drinks and eating my own food ... It takes for ever to get to the merchandise trailers if you want to get anything .... UGH
Old 01-21-2016, 09:30 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I prefer to go both days before the race, then watch the race on TV. Less people there, less lines. I even struck up a conversation with Kyle Petty.

I have been to the race once, I prefer to sit in the turn 2 bleachers for the start of the race. Then the bleachers in the Esses, and of course the grandstand toward the end of the race.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:47 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ptroxx
Ive sat in 3 different areas.... Turn 7 turn 2 and the grans stands... nice thing about the grandstands is you have shade as it can get hot ... but all the turns have a big TV to watch the entire race .... I liked turn 2 a lot as you can see them coming around the front stretch..... But ive had enough of all the crazy crowds that are at the track these days so the best seat for the race these days is in front on my big screen at home drinking my own drinks and eating my own food ... It takes for ever to get to the merchandise trailers if you want to get anything .... UGH

But everybody should go at least once. Plan on 2 to 3 hours to get 10 miles away from there after the race.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:48 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
I prefer to go both days before the race, then watch the race on TV. Less people there, less lines. I even struck up a conversation with Kyle Petty.

I have been to the race once, I prefer to sit in the turn 2 bleachers for the start of the race. Then the bleachers in the Esses, and of course the grandstand toward the end of the race.

Originally Posted by moose.b3
But everybody should go at least once. Plan on 2 to 3 hours to get 10 miles away from there after the race.
with all of you as well. It is something that everyone should do once, but I much prefer to sit at home in AC, watching my big TV on my couch, drinking my cold beer and not having to deal with the crowds or traffic.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:10 AM
deltadude
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather than fight the traffic, another option is to buy one of the track packages that provides a bus trip in and out of the facility.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:01 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by deltadude
Rather than fight the traffic, another option is to buy one of the track packages that provides a bus trip in and out of the facility.

Just cause you take a bus doesn't mean you miss all the traffic.
If you really want to go to this track the way to do it is to get a 2 day pass.
Go Saturday and et all your shopping for shirts and what not done. Go scope out your seats and get familiar with your seats.
Then on Sunday just commit your self. Get to the track real early. Bring enough food for the entire day. Get there early have some breakfast in your car. Bring some chairs and table to relax by your car with others bat will be doing the same thing a you. After breakfast work our way to your seats. Watch the race then make your way back to your car. Have an easy dinner at your car with others that will be doing the same thing and watch all the crazies trying to get out of the track but stuck in traffic in hwy37 and lakeville. Bring binoculars with you so you can watch up close its always amusing watching people trying to get out of the track. Lol
Then when the traffic starts to die down then start your trek out of the track.

I have done it this way Many times with friends and it works great.
But we had a complete set up with a full stove/grill and BBQ. And all kinds of things to pass the time. Like playing cards. Toss the football around. Frisbee. What ever. But there is no rush to get out cause you'll just be in traffic. Even on a bus.

I see the OP is from FL and like to take in different tracks. So either way he's coming. So just make it a full day. Make some new friends and enjoy the race. Dont fight the crazy traffic and hang out and just relax and have fun at the track.

It can be a fun experience if you plan it right.

And I think turn 2 is about the best seats they have a very big tv right in front of you that you can watch and see the race and replays. Just remember. No shade so bring lotion and hats.
Bring a small tiny cooler with you for when you head to your seats for a few brinks and a sandwich or what every snacks you want.
Main thing is have fun

If you need anything or more advice you can message me if you want.
I live 20 min from the track and know the area well.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:20 PM
FredSM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go Saturday and et all your shopping for shirts and what not done. Go scope out your seats and get familiar with your seats.
Then on Sunday just commit your self. Get to the track real early. Bring enough food for the entire day. Get there early have some breakfast in your car. Bring some chairs and table to relax by your car with others bat will be doing the same thing a you. After breakfast work our way to your seats. Watch the race then make your way back to your car. Have an easy dinner at your car with others that will be doing the same thing and watch all the crazies trying to get out of the track but stuck in traffic in hwy37 and lakeville.

. . .
Could not agree more!

Oh, and I like T8 . . . nothing like seeing those monsters nose-to-tail in the esses. Make sure you're at least 5 rows back, though, otherwise you're looking at the track through a chain-link fence.

T7 can be exciting as well . . . lot of sheet metal trying to occupy the same space.

There's usually drama in T2-T4 too, but your view of other areas of the track are limited up there.

If you want to see pit action, the grandstands are of course the place to be.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:11 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 117 Posts

Then on Sunday just commit your self. Get to the track real early. Bring enough food for the entire day. Get there early have some breakfast in your car. Bring some chairs and table to relax by your car with others bat will be doing the same thing a you. After breakfast work our way to your seats. Watch the race then make your way back to your car. Have an easy dinner at your car with others that will be doing the same thing and watch all the crazies trying to get out of the track but stuck in traffic in hwy37 and lakeville. Bring binoculars with you so you can watch up close its always amusing watching people trying to get out of the track. Lol
Then when the traffic starts to die down then start your trek out of the track.

I have done it this way Many times with friends and it works great.
But we had a complete set up with a full stove/grill and BBQ. And all kinds of things to pass the time. Like playing cards. Toss the football around. Frisbee. What ever. But there is no rush to get out cause you'll just be in traffic. Even on a bus.

I see the OP is from FL and like to take in different tracks. So either way he's coming. So just make it a full day. Make some new friends and enjoy the race. Dont fight the crazy traffic and hang out and just relax and have fun at the track.

It can be a fun experience if you plan it right.

And I think turn 2 is about the best seats they have a very big tv right in front of you that you can watch and see the race and replays. Just remember. No shade so bring lotion and hats.
Bring a small tiny cooler with you for when you head to your seats for a few brinks and a sandwich or what every snacks you want.
Main thing is have fun

If you need anything or more advice you can message me if you want.
I live 20 min from the track and know the area well.
Thanks for all of the info. I've been to more than half of the current tracks in Nascar. I'm used to the traffic but will be on vacation so it's all good. :-)
Old 01-25-2016, 08:43 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Blue Lion
Thanks for all of the info. I've been to more than half of the current tracks in Nascar. I'm used to the traffic but will be on vacation so it's all good. :-)
I noticed you like to tour the tracks..
The earlier you get to the track the better.. we use to get there like 6am and no traffic and we would hang till 7-8 at night and no traffic...
If I can help in anyway let me know .
Old 01-30-2016, 05:50 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Lots of good advice has been posted. I would also go on Friday and Saturday to at least try and avoid the big crowds. Start at turn two and gradually make your way around the track. You really can not appreciate this track from watching in just one place, and TV does not do it justice. Even when I had a press pass I avoided the track on Sunday, as other than flying in, there really isn't a way to avoid the traffic.

Get notified of new replies

To NASCAR Sonoma

Quick Reply: NASCAR Sonoma