Smog testing

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 02:13 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Smog testing

Hey guys,

So finally I received my smog testing notice, this is the first time doing a smog check. What do I need to prepare for? Only thing I have in the car is air intake and catch can. I will be returning that to stock settings. Besides that I also have Diablo InTune tune. Should I remove that back to stock or will I be ok running that tune for the check?

I know that if I reflash the ECM back to a stock the emission monitor readiness might not be ready until certain miles/driving events happen.

Any advice is welcomed.. ohh yeah also where is a good shop to go to near Fairfield?

Last edited by Jcbarr25; 04-13-2016 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:32 AM
jetbluu
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm in San Diego, I didn't flash to stock with my intune and was able to pass no problems. I was using the 91 octane canned tune at the time.

Last edited by jetbluu; 04-13-2016 at 03:33 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:34 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jetbluu
I'm in San Diego, I didn't flash to stock with my intune and was able to pass no problems. I was using the 91 octane canned tune at the time.
Sounds good. Thank you. That's what I'm using. Qhat exactly do they look at? Will they be putting my car in a lift to inspect or anything?
Old 04-13-2016, 03:38 AM
jetbluu
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Depends on the tech as far as the visual goes. I've heard stories of some being very thorough and then like myself, the guy was pretty laid back. He did look at my cats though. As long as everything is "stock" or carb approved you'll be fine. I also have the zo6 exhaust setup and since they look factory, I had no problems.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:42 PM
wagner262
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oil catch can is fine. some techs will over look "anything past your MAF" some wont depends.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:57 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Depends on the tech as far as the visual goes. I've heard stories of some being very thorough and then like myself, the guy was pretty laid back. He did look at my cats though. As long as everything is "stock" or carb approved you'll be fine. I also have the zo6 exhaust setup and since they look factory, I had no problems.
Same for me. As long as you don't throw any codes and your guy will over look a few minor things like cai and what not your good. I also had the full z06 set up on mine with a cai a tune and no problem passing smog. It took all of 3 minutes for my smog.

But there are guys out there going all through cars and failing cars for stupid things. Like having 4 cats after the Hm recall to add the additional cats. So pick your smog shop wisely.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:07 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ptroxx
Same for me. As long as you don't throw any codes and your guy will over look a few minor things like cai and what not your good. I also had the full z06 set up on mine with a cai a tune and no problem passing smog. It took all of 3 minutes for my smog.

But there are guys out there going all through cars and failing cars for stupid things. Like having 4 cats after the Hm recall to add the additional cats. So pick your smog shop wisely.
Well I guess returning the intake to stock and removing the catch can during the inspection will ensure in don't fail for anything obvious. Besides that I don't think my car would fail for anything else. No recall for me. Any shop suggestions?
Old 04-16-2016, 07:31 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

May I Hijack for a quick question?
I also have the Z06 exhaust. I should have 4-cats (2012), but will only have 2. Did the smog checker check on the number of cats? I am told "normally" the presence of 2 is OK...
Thanks!

Also to OP; the tune is OK to leave in. Many have superchargers, etc. and have "non-stock tunes. All they do (with '2000 & later?) is plug in the OB-II and check to make sure everything is OK. Plus a visual...
My '97 Suburban has to do the dyno with exhaust sniff.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:45 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

I passed today. Somehow my air intake broke so I had to borrow someone else. For those around fairfield, let me know I'll pm you the shop I went. It was super easy and great customer service.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:16 PM
Skanlez
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcbarr25
I passed today. Somehow my air intake broke so I had to borrow someone else. For those around fairfield, let me know I'll pm you the shop I went. It was super easy and great customer service.
PM the info please
Old 05-01-2016, 10:21 AM
ROADRACER_
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess my question here in the Bay Area is the ones running around with cams, headers and intake what are you doing with them to get them passed?
Old 05-12-2016, 09:20 AM
Slickjr
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skanlez
PM the info please
Yeah ... Please PM me too ... I've got smog coming up!!
Old 05-13-2016, 11:35 PM
C5 LS7
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROADRACER_
I guess my question here in the Bay Area is the ones running around with cams, headers and intake what are you doing with them to get them passed?
The silence is deafening......... LMAO
Old 05-14-2016, 11:39 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ROADRACER_

A friend of mine in the bay area has headers, cam, intake ect. and pays a "fee" of $600 every other year to have it overlooked. I don't know where so don't ask.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:38 PM
Skanlez
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by moose.b3
A friend of mine in the bay area has headers, cam, intake ect. and pays a "fee" of $600 every other year to have it overlooked. I don't know where so don't ask.
Dang. Talk about inflation. When I use to get a "special smog" going rate was between $200 to $400.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:26 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

What cam? Just a bunch of bad spark plugs

Get notified of new replies

To Smog testing

Quick Reply: Smog testing