Selling a car and CA smog

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:34 AM
NavyVette89
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Selling a car and CA smog

Hey guys just curious as I'm selling my car. I bought the car in NV and it has a smog cert there. It's tagged in AR where I am a resident, do I have to get it smogged here to sell it?
It's supercharged but has the EO number tag. I just don't want to deal with a smog station if I don't have to. I would imagine it would be considered an out of state sell.
I would wait until I move at the end if the year but I'd rather not deal with shipping etc.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:51 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

I would think if your selling it here in Ca you will need a CA smog to do so ...
you say the SC has a carb number ? and everything else is stock it shouldn't be an issue anway

Last edited by ptroxx; 08-20-2016 at 11:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NavyVette89 (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 02:09 PM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

If you’re selling the car here and the car is to be registered in California then yes, the seller is responsible for the smog. If the car is being sold and it goes out of California then no it doesn’t need to have a California smog cert.
The following users liked this post:
NavyVette89 (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 05:23 PM
NavyVette89
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ptroxx
I would think if your selling it here in Ca you will need a CA smog to do so ...
you say the SC has a carb number ? and everything else is stock it shouldn't be an issue anway
Yea it's the Procharger with the EO tag on top.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:33 AM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEEDEMON
If you’re selling the car here and the car is to be registered in California then yes, the seller is responsible for the smog. If the car is being sold and it goes out of California then no it doesn’t need to have a California smog cert.

OP get ready for a cali hosing!
Old 08-30-2016, 08:41 PM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You can sell it in Cali with out a smog cert if the buyer agrees to buy it AS-IS FOR PARTS and signs a paper stating that fact.Highly unlikely unless you sold it very cheaply.You need to have Cali eo stickers for all of the aftermarket engine parts installed on the engine.If you sell it in Cali the new buyer will take your out of state title to the dmv with the smog cert in register it in his name.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:13 AM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Is a sticker required if the part can be CARB certified approved?

Originally Posted by odxr
You can sell it in Cali with out a smog cert if the buyer agrees to buy it AS-IS FOR PARTS and signs a paper stating that fact.Highly unlikely unless you sold it very cheaply.You need to have Cali eo stickers for all of the aftermarket engine parts installed on the engine.If you sell it in Cali the new buyer will take your out of state title to the dmv with the smog cert in register it in his name.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:23 AM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 2004 ls6 engine with a a&a procharger kit installed on an engine stand in my shop.It has the Carb eo sticker attached to the supercharger .Point that out to the smog tech that is doing the inspection.If the kit that is on the car is not Carb approved and has no sticker you have a problem.The car has to have all the original Gm cat convertors.If everything is correct the reading should be the same as a stock car.You can also get a code reader and check for codes and if the monitors(cat function,evap) are passed.If the car is running correctly it should not be that big of a deal.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:29 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Selling a car and CA smog

Not interested in the car. How much for the smog?

Get notified of new replies

To Selling a car and CA smog

Quick Reply: Selling a car and CA smog