Northern California Northern California

Registering a new vette in California

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:44 PM
mig1980
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Registering a new vette in California

Good day everyone. I am in the process of negotiating a deal with a dealership in Illinois.

I was curious about taxes/registrations fees. As I understand it, I would pay the dealer the negotiated price excluding taxes and registration fees, correct?

Is there anything in particular that I need to do to get a car sold by a dealer in another state registered in California?

Thank you in advance for the help getting my ducks in a row!

Also, I will need the car transported. Any good companies (with decent prices) that I could use to transport it in an enclosed trailer?
Old 10-13-2016, 08:24 AM
Redneck Slim
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

When I did this,the new car had to be smogged in Ca.Be positive that your dealer orders a CA car (normally the only difference is the factory applies a sticker that says CA legal).
Old 10-13-2016, 09:18 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some states have reciprocal tax collection with Ca. Meaning you pay the tax to the seller. Not sure if this is negotiable or not. Else you pay the tax when you register it. You'll also need to bring the car to the DMV for an inspection.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:36 AM
Redneck Slim
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

When I did it,any local police officer could do the inspection. He is just verifying the VIN that goes on your registration application.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:04 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just did a 16 from Maryland. All cars have a 50 state legal smog sticker, but that makes no difference in CA. One timing factor, even though the temp registration from out of state may be good for more than 30 days, CA requires that you register the car within 30 days of entering the state, it is a block you fill in on the reg form. Penalties apply if you exceed the 30 days. Also you have to get the car smog checked and that isn't as easy as it sounds. I've done it a couple times and both the C5s and the C7 have sensors that don't 'turn on' until the car has done some significant miles. On the C7 I finally got it up to 1,200 miles before it would pass check. I had to go to DMV, get the inspector to look under the hood, pay the fees and taxes, get a temp registration form for another 30 days, take a trip and then get the smog completed and set up a second appointment to get tags.
My car got delivered by Plycar and was $2k from the east coast, mid winter, but I was able to track the truck from Maryland, to the heartland, up to Minn, then back down through Reno to the bay area. Got here fine. Good luck and enjoy. Randy
Old 10-14-2016, 02:40 PM
fly a Z06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

In August I drove home my 16 Z06 from Rick Corvette Conti in Ohio and had it smogged. Then I went to the AAA office which did the inspection and collected the additional 1.5% Kern county sales tax over Ohio's 6% (which I paid there). 20 minutes later I put on the green 2017 sticker on the plate from the 07Z I had sold. This is an excellent bonus of AAA membership.

Joel
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2016, 02:42 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Slim
When I did this,the new car had to be smogged in Ca.Be positive that your dealer orders a CA car (normally the only difference is the factory applies a sticker that says CA legal).
The CA smog certificate option is

YF5 Emissions, California state requirements
Old 10-14-2016, 11:18 PM
Nosferatu333
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

For the love of God, be sure to register the car asap once the car arrives in state. Any delay causes the fees and penalties to added up daily. It does not matter if you paid the taxes to another state. I purchased a used tesla s from Illinois and messed around for a couple of months before I got off my *** to get it registered. That delay cost me almost 2 grand I additional late fees etc. that was on top the taxes I already Paid the the reciprocal state.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:58 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

This thread has good information about the smog test:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...alifornia.html

I bought mine from a dealer in Maryland and he was required collect the tax, but gave me a check made out to the DMV for when I brought it there to get it inspected. Different states probably have different ways of handling that though.

The emissions sticker is on the passenger side of the hood. The batshit insane DMV lady classified my coupe as a convertible because in her words: "We already have a coop, a mini coop, a mini cooper." WTF. I gave up pretty quickly when I realized she held all the power.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2016, 02:10 AM
benspruce
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I purchased a 2016 Z06 in Ohio and drove it back to California (great road trip). There are people in Calif who are certified to register cars at the DMV without the owner present. It cost me $125 to hire this woman who was certified. She asked me to get the car smogged, which I did. She came to the house and made a few notes about the car and collected the info she needed. I gave her a check for her services and an amount that was the difference between the Ohio sales tax and Calif sales tax. She returned the next day with my permanent plates and registration sticker. I didn't have to go anywhere near the DMV. I think I'm allergic to those kinds of places. For me it was worth the fee to avoid dealing with the DMV. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:51 PM
mig1980
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Thank you all for your responses. So it looks like the dealer wants to collect all taxes and fees (including a $500 DMV registration fee) during the purchase. They informed me that all the funds for state taxes and anything else that applied to California would be sent the California after the deal was complete.

As I am reading here, it sounds like some of you have had that happen with some of your purchases.

I am going to have the car shipped to me. Is there a particular shipper (enclosed) that you guys would recommend? I looked at uship.com but not sure if that is the best option to find a shipper.

Last edited by mig1980; 10-18-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:32 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I see a lot of people including out of state dealers use Plycon, you could get a quote from them.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:13 AM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Intercity Lines

I used Intercity for my C5 Z and was very happy. Totally enclosed, elevator for car, (no ramps) Car was covered in the trailer and driver put on clean coveralls with gloves to unload car..

They are as good as it gets.. Also Forum Sponsors...

BTW: driver and wife were Corvette owners..

http://www.intercitylines.com/

Get notified of new replies

To Registering a new vette in California

Quick Reply: Registering a new vette in California