Northern California Northern California

Recommend a Good Tire Store

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 02:08 PM
GlenE
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Recommend a Good Tire Store

I'm here in Chico, CA and will be needing tires soon. Wondering who to take the car to. Costco has excellent equipment and guys seem good. Have a Les Schwab and Americas Tire. My concern is the wheels. I have a set of SSR GT3's and they are no longer available. I talked with AT and asked how they would address a damaged wheel. The person I spoke with said if they are not available, not much they could do. Hmmmm, not a great reply. The wheels are flawless, and would be verified by a mgr before any work is done. He did say, this is hypothetical so there isn't a real answer. Seriously! I would like to know what could be done BEFORE something could possibly be damaged. Should I go back and talk with a mgr? Any recommended shops up here or even in the Sacramento area? There is a shop that does Porsche and european work, Zeppelin Works.

Thanks

Last edited by GlenE; 10-16-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:13 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenE
I'm here in Chico, CA and will be needing tires soon. Wondering who to take the car to. Costco has excellent equipment and guys seem good. Have a Les Schwab and Americas Tire. My concern is the wheels. I have a set of SSR GT3's and they are no longer available. I talked with AT and asked how they would address a damaged wheel. The person I spoke with said if they are not available, not much they could do. Hmmmm, not a great reply. The wheels are flawless, and would be verified by a mgr before any work is done. He did say, this is hypothetical so there isn't a real answer. Seriously! I would like to know what could be done BEFORE something could possibly be damaged. Should I go back and talk with a mgr? Any recommended shops up here or even in the Sacramento area? There is a shop that does Porsche and european work, Zeppelin Works.

Thanks
A lot of us use Americas tires. When I got to Americas tire I always have the manager work on my car or his best man.
And I drive the car in and out. And I'm righ there with them all the time.
I always make sure everything is open too when they jack the car up. That's from my old C3 days. But I still do it.
If you want take pics of the wheels b4 and after.

Also. No one is going to be able to replace if damaged no matter who does the damage.

Last edited by ptroxx; 10-16-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:22 PM
GlenE
Intermediate

ptroxx

Thanks for the input. What do you mean you have everything open when they jack it up? Just curious....

Which Americas Tire do you use?
Old 10-16-2016, 03:25 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

ptroxx

Thanks for the input. What do you mean you have everything open when they jack it up? Just curious....

Which Americas Tire do you use?
I open hood trunk and doors. I use my local AT in rohnert park it's a brand new one. Use to use the one in Santa Rosa.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:31 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Americas tires in Auburn did great on mine and they had fresh paint not even scruffed the paint, and did great work and didn't even charge to set the TPMS
Old 10-17-2016, 03:34 PM
dkz
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ptroxx
I open hood trunk and doors. I use my local AT in rohnert park it's a brand new one. Use to use the one in Santa Rosa.
huh... the America's tire I go to did the same thing, left the rear trunk open and windows down.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:57 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

I would certainly talk at length with the shop, and if you senseany hesitancy, consider another place. Any *good* shop should have lots of experience with wide rims & 'Vette size tires (and run flats)...

Old 10-17-2016, 10:35 PM
GlenE
Intermediate

What's the purpose of opening the doors, hood and hatch?
Old 10-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Tannman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use America's Tire. They price match Tire Rack. Their store in Rocklin is outstanding.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:55 PM
GlenE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tannman
I use America's Tire. They price match Tire Rack. Their store in Rocklin is outstanding.
Thanks for the tip, Rocklin is only 70 minutes from us. May be worth driving down there. Just not sure about the local AT. Do you have a contact I could talk to?
Old 10-20-2016, 09:03 PM
Tannman
Racer

Thanks for the tip, Rocklin is only 70 minutes from us. May be worth driving down there. Just not sure about the local AT. Do you have a contact I could talk to?

Brian is the manager. Great guy. He understands Corvette needs. Call him at 916-791-1800. Tell him that Garth with a Torch Red C7 recommended him to you. He will take care of you.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:49 AM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's always fun when you bring a 345/35/18 in the tire shop. I always take off my rims and bring those in.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:22 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

What's the purpose of opening the doors, hood and hatch?
There is no point and it's actually more damaging than anything. It is best to leave the car as rigid as possible (door closed, trunk closed etc) when lifting it.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:39 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
There is no point and it's actually more damaging than anything. It is best to leave the car as rigid as possible (door closed, trunk closed etc) when lifting it.
See ya learn something new every day. Lol.

Thanks rich. I'll be changing my tire changing ways.
I should have known better. After watching you and everyone else changing tires at the track and never seeing you following my old practice.
Lol.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:59 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

See ya learn something new every day. Lol.

Thanks rich. I'll be changing my tire changing ways.
I should have known better. After watching you and everyone else changing tires at the track and never seeing you following my old practice.
Lol.
I think that was an old C4 practice that was carried over to the newer cars.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:42 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I think that was an old C4 practice that was carried over to the newer cars.
I learnt it from the c3 crowd.
Miss my c3 sometimes.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:29 PM
GlenE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tannman
Brian is the manager. Great guy. He understands Corvette needs. Call him at 916-791-1800. Tell him that Garth with a Torch Red C7 recommended him to you. He will take care of you.

I will definitely contact him! Better to go to a shop from recommendation rather than take a chance with an unknown.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommend a Good Tire Store

Old 10-22-2016, 12:11 PM
Trkdrvr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

I can recommend,Shane.at the tire cobbler here in redding.he owns the store.is an ex NASCAR team member,(tire man)been using him for over 15 yrs.out standing knowledge personal attention,fun to deal with ridiculous low prices 1-530-246-8677 tell him Martin referred him
Old 11-03-2016, 09:12 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

When I needed tires, I priced them on Tire Rack.com, which also has recommended shops for delivery and installation. I went to one of the shops, and they price matched Tire Rack and saved me the delivery fees.

When I went for my installation, I took the car's lift diagram with me.

Last edited by the kid C6; 11-03-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:34 AM
Calvinator
Intermediate

I can vouch for America's Tire (Former employee when I was younger in the bay area). The techs know what they are doing and everyone is trained to handle specific sports cars and performance tires and they also price match!

Quick Reply: Recommend a Good Tire Store