Northern California Northern California

Does California's new distracted driving law cover FRS and CB's

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 12:26 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Just why I bought the Base vette. I did not what extra gadgets.

Really did not want power window's even, although it is nice not having to deal with a crank window handle with my leg.

Just more stuff that might be problematic.
Especially if you plan on keeping your car for a long time. The first things that go out and give problems are the options. The more stuff you have the more problems you end up with.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:26 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by UR LZN
This is all fine-n-dandy regarding cell phones and texting.,...this is the real reason for the bill...BUT, what about the car?? Have you seen what engineers are put in them lately? Too many touch screens, buttons, sliders, and displays to read for EVERYTHING! Take an old Ford or Chevy, and you could operate the car blindfold (meant: without looking for the control)! Change the heat, turn on wipers, push-button for the second favorite radio station 'cause the first just started a commercial...etc! AND there is no standard for the location or operation of common controls...compare any two cars and the wipers are different (one it up, the other is down). Lights...one is twist away, the other is pull toward. How may folks do you see driving with high-beams on? Geez, what's that blue light for...it's nice! All this and we expect the 'common' person to understand it all...Not! and they wonder why accident rate is up...(rant done!)
Exactly. Remember when you could adjust the bass and treble without taking your eye off the road?
Old 02-02-2017, 06:00 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by GotCorvette?
Exactly. Remember when you could adjust the bass and treble without taking your eye off the road?
I remember when there were no bass and treble adjustments. All we had was AM/FM radio, and a 4-Track tape player, yes, 4-track, that was before the 8-tracks, and waaaaay before cassettes. I believe the hot ticket was a Muntz. The radio station used to drift and you constantly had to adjust the channel selector in order to keep it on station.

Well speaking back into the day, some of the real cruiser had Reverbs (Vibrasonics) so you can listen to Wolfman Jack in-style.

Remember when Radio their 23-Channel CB radios and there was a space between channels 22 & 23? That was called channel 22A which is the same freq as Channel 24 today on a 40-channel radio. In those days all you had to do is cut the little black wire attached to the selector switch and you had channel 22A.

When I was in a Van Club in Orange County our Club used 22A for our private CB channel and the rest of the Van Clubs didn't know anything about that channel.

Those were the good ole days.

Last edited by Nokones; 02-17-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:56 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Nokones
I remember when there was no bass and treble adjustments. All we had was AM/FM radio, and a 4-Track tape player, yes, 4-track, that was before the 8-tracks, and waaaaay before cassettes. I believe the hot ticket was a Muntz. The radio station used to drift and you constantly had to adjust the channel selector in order to keep it on station.

Well speaking back into the day, some of the real cruiser had Reverbs (Vibrasonics) so you can listen to Wolfman Jack in-style.

Remember when Radio their 23-Channel CB radios and there was a space between channels 22 & 23? That was called channel 22A which is the same freq as Channel 24 today on a 40-channel radio. In those days all you had to do is cut the little black wire attached to the selector switch and you had channel 22A.

When I was in a Van Club in Orange County our Club used 22A for our private CB channel and the rest of the Van Clubs didn't know anything about that channel.

Remember sitting in a 64 Corvette with AM radio and one speaker
Don't forget if you had side band radio you had 3 times the channels on CB. Yes I remember 22A.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I remember when there was no bass and treble adjustments. All we had was AM/FM radio, and a 4-Track tape player, yes, 4-track, that was before the 8-tracks, and waaaaay before cassettes. I believe the hot ticket was a Muntz. The radio station used to drift and you constantly had to adjust the channel selector in order to keep it on station.

Actually there are 5 other spaces between channel numbers which can be reached with an open clarifier. After channels 3,7,11,15 and 19. 10K is a channel and after the listed numbers the next channel is 20K away. Otherwise 10K between all the rest of the 40 channels CB band.

: http://www.hamradio.me/charts/cb-radio-frequencies.html

I employ a reverb in my CB rig too! Have it set very low though.

Reverb was cool in the day.

Last edited by Boomer111; 02-03-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:52 AM
UR LZN
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually there are 5 other spaces between channel numbers which can be reached with an open clarifier. After channels 3,7,11,15 and 19. 10K is a channel and after the listed numbers the next channel is 20K away. Otherwise 10K between all the rest of the 40 channels CB band.

: http://www.hamradio.me/charts/cb-radio-frequencies.html

I employ a reverb in my CB rig too! Have it set very low though.

Reverb was cool in the day.
Re-verbs were the hot thing! A mechanical spring device with a speaker-type coil and a microphone on each end causing a delay channel! No electronic DAC chip delay needed. The re-verb sound was like no other....until you hit a railroad track (we didn't have potholes back then!)! Nothing today is like it!

I still have an Audiovox reverb and an 8-track - plan to use 'em in a 50-something someday! Cool stuff the guys today kno nothing about!
Old 02-03-2017, 06:41 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

The '65 GTO I owned my senior year in high school had an AM radio with a factory reverb and a rear seat speaker. I added an 8-Track tape deck under dash. A big thing around here was having a slide mount on the tape deck so you could remove it because they were being stolen like crazy. I used to pull mine out of the car and bring it in the house every night. Some one broke in the house and stole it from there.

A $40 tape deck was a major possession when you worked 20 hrs a week for $1.65 an hour. I swear I would have killed the guy who took it if I ever caught him.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:48 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

The '65 GTO I owned my senior year in high school had an AM radio with a factory reverb and a rear seat speaker. I added an 8-Track tape deck under dash. A big thing around here was having a slide mount on the tape deck so you could remove it because they were being stolen like crazy. I used to pull mine out of the car and bring it in the house every night. Some one broke in the house and stole it from there.

A $40 tape deck was a major possession when you worked 20 hrs a week for $1.65 an hour. I swear I would have killed the guy who took it if I ever caught him.
sOMEtimes the simplest things were the best things we ever had and were the most fun.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:56 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
sOMEtimes the simplest things were the best things we ever had and were the most fun.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:04 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

High roller...., I started out at a 76 station for .90 an hour.

And yes going over the RR tracks was always fun with the spacers in between the front springs and the reverb going off.

65 GTO tri power and air ride in the rear.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:24 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

High roller...., I started out at a 76 station for .90 an hour.

And yes going over the RR tracks was always fun with the spacers in between the front springs and the reverb going off.

65 GTO tri power and air ride in the rear.
Then you guys remember the gas wars......$.25/gal or less.........those were the days!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:43 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Then you guys remember the gas wars......$.25/gal or less.........those were the days!
I remember Blue chip stamps, free Hot Wheels, and free drinking glasses. I do remember the gas war signs but was too young to drive. I do remember full service too.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:07 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

I remember Blue chip stamps, free Hot Wheels, and free drinking glasses. I do remember the gas war signs but was too young to drive. I do remember full service too.
Do you remember getting road maps at your local gas station?
Old 02-17-2017, 01:09 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Boy, this thread has gone off the rails, but it's all in good fun......

I checked with local CHP and they indicate that anything held in the hand is verboten except CB mike.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:28 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Yes, I do. I remember the gas wars. I remember the Mobil Station at Katella and Harbor was as low as .17 cents during those gas wars and they even gave out the stamps. I don't remember if they were the Blue Chips or the S&H Green Stamps. There were even Orange Stamps at one-time but, that didn't last long.

And the full service was a clean windshield and check the air in the tires. When I was a kid and worked in a gas station I hated checking the air in the tires when the customer requested it.

The gifts (Cups, glasses, etc.) were called premiums in those days.

Remember when the Union 76 Station use to give out the portraits of the Dodger players? Each week was a different player. Boy, do I wish I still had those portraits.

Oh yes, and on Cruise Night, I saved up my pop bottles so I can afford the extra cost of gas from the Chevron "White Pump" because on Friday nights, you were always going to get into a race on Whittier Blvd. when you were near Bob's Big Boy.

I had a 57 T-Bird with a built 427 and a lift chassis. If you remember, a lift chassis was not a chassis jacked up like you see these pickups today or an old Gasser, if was a chassis done by Chassis Masters and when you jumped on it the torque would raise the entire chassis up. Those chassis were so kool looking. It was Mid-Night Metallic Blue. Does anyone remember getting beat by it or dragging at the end of Orangethorpe?

Last edited by Nokones; 02-17-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:34 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Do you remember getting road maps at your local gas station?
No I was too little no interest in those just Hot Wheels, Blue Chip stamps and drinking glasses.

I don't remember Chevron gas stations with this old logo or people smoking at a gas station

Old 02-17-2017, 11:12 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Back in the day, Chevron was part of the Standard Oil Company. Chevron stations were Dealer owned and operated and the Standard Stations were Company owned and operated.

Quick Reply: Does California's new distracted driving law cover FRS and CB's