Northern California Northern California

My C7 was stolen in Dublin

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:18 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

97C5driver Damn, that sucks.

For anyone else, if you're thinking about going to Dublin, what's a few more minutes in the car and going to Abel where you know you will be taken care of?

Or, maybe..... If you're not happy with the resale value on your car and wanted to move to something else, schedule a bunch of appointments for minor repairs at Dublin and see how your luck goes.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:43 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Well its been 3 weeks and my insurance is working up a value for me this week. We shall see what they give and what the dealer is willing to help out with.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:56 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

If I was that dealer, I would be contacting my Factory Rep. in order to get approval to order/sell a new car at a substantial discount such as, something equivalent to a GM Employees' discount to minimize the impact on both the customer and the insurance company.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:22 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

let their investigators know that the vehicle can not be driven without the Fob
I was under the impression that the car won't start without the fob but you can drive it. For example, if you start the car, go back into your house, and someone steals your running vehicle, they can drive it until it runs out of gas.

For the OP, the dealer's insurance should be handling this. It was their fault.

When it's time for your new C7, I've heard great things about Boardwalk Chevy in Redwood City. I know a few people who bought new Corvettes there.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:38 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by the kid C6
I was under the impression that the car won't start without the fob but you can drive it. For example, if you start the car, go back into your house, and someone steals your running vehicle, they can drive it until it runs out of gas.

When it's time for your new C7, I've heard great things about Boardwalk Chevy in Redwood City. I know a few people who bought new Corvettes there.
i will never in my life take any vehicle into boardwalk for service nor give them a penny of my money. That place is a joke. I was going there previously and instead of going straight to Abel I figured I'd try Dublin which was a mistake as well obviously.

the consensus around here is Abel Chevrolet
Old 02-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by the kid C6

Yes, that is correct about the FOB.

I am still wondering who has the FOB that was originally given to the Service Dept.? If they have the FOB, and it is the correct FOB, either someone duplicated a FOB in order to start and drive away or it was towed off.

Also, if the car has been started since it was reported stolen and the VIN number entered into the Stolen Vehicle System database, that VIN would have popped up at OnStar the first time the car was turned on and they would have known the location of the car at that time.

That car was probably put in a container and shipped out of the country before anyone realized that the car was stolen.

So far, I have gotten the best deal on a Corvette at Boardwalk. A lot cheaper than any dealer in all of Northern California. I haven't tried their Service Department yet. I bought my 13 Grand Sport from Tim Boone at Boardwalk and he was about $3-4K less than everyone. I bought my 03 ZO6 from John L Sullivan and my 93 Ruby from Performance Chevrolet and they didn't even come close to Boardwalk's deal. Even Abel was about 4-5K more than Boardwalk.

I might try Abel's Service Department in the near future. My ZO6 is an early 03 and I need to have the valve springs and cooling system hoses replace, and my 93 Ruby needs the A/C serviced, and I might try Abel depending on their shop's hourly labor rate to see if it is worth while to take it to Rio Vista.

Last edited by Nokones; 02-10-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:31 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Nokones

I am still wondering who has the FOB that was originally given to the Service Dept.? If they have the FOB, and it is the correct FOB, either someone duplicated a FOB in order to start and drive away or it was towed off.

Also, if the car has been started since it was reported stolen and the VIN number entered into the Stolen Vehicle System database, that VIN would have popped up at OnStar the first time the car was turned on and they would have known the location of the car at that time.

That car was probably put in a container and shipped out of the country before anyone realized that the car was stolen.

So far, I have gotten the best deal on a Corvette at Boardwalk. A lot cheaper than any dealer in all of Northern California. I haven't tried their Service Department yet. I bought my 13 Grand Sport from Tim Boone at Boardwalk and he was about $3-4K less than everyone. I bought my 03 ZO6 from John L Sullivan and my 93 Ruby from Performance Chevrolet and they didn't even come close to Boardwalk's deal. Even Abel was about 4-5K more than Boardwalk.

I might try Abel's Service Department in the near future. My ZO6 is an early 03 and I need to have the valve springs and cooling system hoses replace, and my 93 Ruby needs the A/C serviced, and I might try Abel depending on their shop's hourly labor rate to see if it is worth while to take it to Rio Vista.
Abel is great. They have forum discounts so that should help with a lower shop labor rate.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:43 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Abel is great. They have forum discounts so that should help with a lower shop labor rate.
And they park corvettes inside.

Last edited by ptroxx; 02-10-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:58 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ptroxx
And they park corvettes inside.
Yes and that is where security is #1 and you can trust this dealership with their work and service unlike those others.

Last edited by LS WON; 02-10-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:47 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If I was that dealer, I would be contacting my Factory Rep. in order to get approval to order/sell a new car at a substantial discount such as, something equivalent to a GM Employees' discount to minimize the impact on both the customer and the insurance company.
Unfortunately the issue is the dealer's and not technically GM's. GM will not offer up a crazy discount on a new vehicle due to the negligence of an Independent dealer. Right now, most Corvettes are being sold at or very close to dealer employee prices anyways.

I would imagine the thief knew about OnStar and since it was more than likely an inside job, they probably disabled the OnStar before starting the car. On modern vehicles it's more than just pulling a fuse, which also contributes to the inside job theory.

If we can ever help with anything on your cars, please let me know. The labor rate will be competitive with the other performance shops in the area and typically significantly less than another dealer.

See you on the auto cross course Ken!

RICH
Old 02-14-2017, 03:54 PM
rbrumm
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 97C5driver
i will never in my life take any vehicle into boardwalk for service nor give them a penny of my money. That place is a joke. I was going there previously and instead of going straight to Abel I figured I'd try Dublin which was a mistake as well obviously.

the consensus around here is Abel Chevrolet
Old 02-16-2017, 08:22 AM
FredSM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrumm
I'll add a 4th

My only regret was I wasn't smart enough to BUY the car at Able in the first place! Even so I used to drive an hour one way just to get from Livermore to Rio Vista. Never regretted that.

Unbelievable what's going on in Dublin! I would be insane with rage. Hope this works out.

FM
Old 03-08-2017, 11:32 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Well just to filll everyone in here's what the conclusion was

1. I had to use my insurance to payout because the dealer was blaming the cleaning co. And the cleaning co. was blaming the dealer. I didn't have time to wait for them to figure it out.

2. The dealership did pay for my aftermarket parts and personal items in the car that my insurance did not cover, which was nice.

3. The dealership did NOT help me in any way locate another vehicle to purchase.

4. The dealership gave me a rental which was great. we agreed on a return date, and a few days before they called me to tell me the rental has been reported stolen and I probably shouldn't drive it. Weird scenario and no idea what kind of bs they were playing with that move. I text the owner about it, he read it, and didn't respond whatsoever.

So the conclusion is, f*** these guys. Don't ever purchase or service a vehicle at anyt of their dealerships which include Fremont Chevy , concord Chevy, and Dublin chevy, Cadillac, gmc, Buick, and Infiniti.
The following users liked this post:
spireland (03-12-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 03:15 AM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

1. I had to use my insurance to payout because the dealer was blaming the cleaning co. And the cleaning co. was blaming the dealer. I didn't have time to wait for them to figure it out.

2. The dealership did pay for my aftermarket parts and personal items in the car that my insurance did not cover, which was nice.

3. The dealership did NOT help me in any way locate another vehicle to purchase.

4. The dealership gave me a rental which was great. we agreed on a return date, and a few days before they called me to tell me the rental has been reported stolen and I probably shouldn't drive it. Weird scenario and no idea what kind of bs they were playing with that move. I text the owner about it, he read it, and didn't respond whatsoever.

So the conclusion is, f*** these guys. Don't ever purchase or service a vehicle at anyt of their dealerships which include Fremont Chevy , concord Chevy, and Dublin chevy, Cadillac, gmc, Buick, and Infiniti.

That sucks, hope everything works out in finding another car, sucks it had to happen in the first place.

Last edited by Paul 68; 03-09-2017 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:13 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Auto theft from dealer lots is one of the biggest things in Chicago right now. Thieves break into the service department, use one vehicle a battering ram, through the service bay doors and locked fences, then have 5-6 accomplices behind with various vehicles.

OP - Hope you get this worked out.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:32 AM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Forgot to mention I picked up a C7 Z06. Looking forward to the next gathering / drive
Old 03-09-2017, 04:18 PM
flynbyu2
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Forgot to mention I picked up a C7 Z06. Looking forward to the next gathering / drive
I sure hope you're not out of pocket on anything.

Here in Sacramento, there are several investigative reporters that put pressure on businesses to do the right thing. I bet the news would love to run with the story of all the stolen high-end cars.

Get notified of new replies

To My C7 was stolen in Dublin

Old 03-09-2017, 06:56 PM
youngrigo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard of a few Camaros end up stolen out of the Concord Chevy dealership
Old 03-09-2017, 07:13 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by youngrigo
I've heard of a few Camaros end up stolen out of the Concord Chevy dealership
Old 03-12-2017, 07:22 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Thanks for the update. Had been considering being lazy and doing my oil changes there as it's down the street from my office, and your experience cured me of that temptation.

Congrats in the new ride!

Quick Reply: My C7 was stolen in Dublin