Northern California Northern California

Fantastic Service at Abel Chevrolet-Buick

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 07:26 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Fantastic Service at Abel Chevrolet-Buick

I know this has been discussed before, but I feel like sharing my story with northern California Corvette owners.
Today I received one of a kind, outstanding service at Abel Chevrolet-Buick located at Rio Vista, CA. For the love of god I do not remember getting this much treatment from any other dealer service department. Long story short, I sent only one email. Everything else was done automatically. Richie at Abel, scheduled a convenient time for me to visit. Offered loaner at no charge. Performed a flawless service significantly below the time quoted. Service was free of charge. Service was not easy. It included changing the infotainment screen, airbag recall, reprogramming, etc. When I got the car back, it was all clean, and all my settings including seat and radio were intact.
I highly recommend Abel Chevrolet-Buick for servicing your Corvette. It well worth the trip to Rio Vista
The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (01-26-2017)

Popular Reply

01-26-2017, 10:22 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Thank you all very much for the kind words, recommendations and continued support of Abel Chevrolet.

Zoxxo pretty much nailed my philosophy when it comes to customer service and how to conduct business. It does take support from the owners, but more importantly, it took A LOT of time, effort and coaching on my part. We honestly have some of the best automotive based employees that I have ever worked with here and it comes down to them working on things and treating people like they would expect in a similar scenario.

What makes it all the better for me is that I have a passion for cars and performance related stuff. It makes the job a lot more fun and I don't feel like I'm working when I talk to customers about their cars. Carrie and I have been fortunate to make a lot of new friends over the years and many of those people started off as first time customers at the dealership.

In terms of expanding to another location, stay tuned for more information on that. We will be announcing something regarding that soon. Corvette service/performance work will not initially be offered there, but it is definitely in the plans moving forward.

RICH
Old 01-24-2017, 07:55 PM
Raiderh20boy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 191 Posts

Another believer !!!😄😄😄

Last edited by Raiderh20boy; 01-24-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:00 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmerborn
I know this has been discussed before, but I feel like sharing my story with northern California Corvette owners.
Today I received one of a kind, outstanding service at Abel Chevrolet-Buick located at Rio Vista, CA. For the love of god I do not remember getting this much treatment from any other dealer service department. Long story short, I sent only one email. Everything else was done automatically. Richie at Abel, scheduled a convenient time for me to visit. Offered loaner at no charge. Performed a flawless service significantly below the time quoted. Service was free of charge. Service was not easy. It included changing the infotainment screen, airbag recall, reprogramming, etc. When I got the car back, it was all clean, and all my settings including seat and radio were intact.
I highly recommend Abel Chevrolet-Buick for servicing your Corvette. It well worth the trip to Rio Vista

Old 01-25-2017, 09:54 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Abel could franchise their sales and service
around Northern Calif.?

Santa Cruz doesn't even have a GM dealer in town......
Old 01-25-2017, 02:03 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by seabright
around Northern Calif.?

And what, clone Rich?
Old 01-25-2017, 06:06 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
And what, clone Rich?
There is nothing inherently impossible with "cloning Rich." There are *lots* of folks out there for whom doing great customer service is a "genetic" thing. They just need to be hired and supported by a company that from the top down values providing a positive customer experience rather than paying lip service to it in TV ads. And they need to be paid a decent wage so that they can do the job right and be happy doing so. This is NOT a "do you want fries with that?" business. These factors are pretty clearly in play at Abel. And just as clearly they are not in play most everywhere (anywhere?) else.

My own theory is that Abel realizes that in order to make their "off the beaten path" business decently profitable they need a fair percentage of their customers to "go the extra mile" to get to them (which many of us regularly do.) But in order for that to happen in sufficient numbers ABEL has to go that extra mile, too - enough that we will regularly choose them over MUCH closer options. To their credit, they walk the walk and have been doing so at least since Rich brought his customer-happiness regimen to them several years ago (I'd never heard of Abel prior to that.) And it would seem to have paid off fairly well.

Dealerships that are more central to large population centers don't have to go to these lengths to get a decent cash flow and the result is, well, we all know the result...

Even more interesting (to me, anyway) is that at least some of the dealerships in NORCAL *have* to know about Abel, their reputation, and how it's been achieved. Yet they seem to make little or no effort to emulate that success.

40 years ago a business book came along called "In Search Of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best Run Companies." It was a *huge* best seller and remains a classic text on how to run a business. In it, they assert many things including (a) delight your customers, and (2) treat your customers as potential friends. I'd say that Abel is pretty good at both, no?

My parents raised me to believe that you "reward the good and punish the bad" and I would go to Abel on that logic alone! That I come away from them NOT feeling like I just had a vacuum cleaner hose stuffed into my wallet pocket is just icing on the cake.

Just remember that while we give Rich a lot of credit as he's the "face" we interact with, he could/would not be doing what he does without Abel's complete support and belief.

Z//

Last edited by Zoxxo; 01-25-2017 at 06:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zoxxo:
bimmerborn (01-26-2017), don hall (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 10:16 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by seabright
around Northern Calif.?

...and I would still drive to Abel even if we still had those guys in town. Their service was horrible.

Last edited by Erik Zinn; 01-25-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:26 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
There is nothing inherently impossible with "cloning Rich." There are *lots* of folks out there for whom doing great customer service is a "genetic" thing. They just need to be hired and supported by a company that from the top down values providing a positive customer experience rather than paying lip service to it in TV ads. And they need to be paid a decent wage so that they can do the job right and be happy doing so. This is NOT a "do you want fries with that?" business. These factors are pretty clearly in play at Abel. And just as clearly they are not in play most everywhere (anywhere?) else.

My own theory is that Abel realizes that in order to make their "off the beaten path" business decently profitable they need a fair percentage of their customers to "go the extra mile" to get to them (which many of us regularly do.) But in order for that to happen in sufficient numbers ABEL has to go that extra mile, too - enough that we will regularly choose them over MUCH closer options. To their credit, they walk the walk and have been doing so at least since Rich brought his customer-happiness regimen to them several years ago (I'd never heard of Abel prior to that.) And it would seem to have paid off fairly well.

Dealerships that are more central to large population centers don't have to go to these lengths to get a decent cash flow and the result is, well, we all know the result...

Even more interesting (to me, anyway) is that at least some of the dealerships in NORCAL *have* to know about Abel, their reputation, and how it's been achieved. Yet they seem to make little or no effort to emulate that success.

40 years ago a business book came along called "In Search Of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best Run Companies." It was a *huge* best seller and remains a classic text on how to run a business. In it, they assert many things including (a) delight your customers, and (2) treat your customers as potential friends. I'd say that Abel is pretty good at both, no?

My parents raised me to believe that you "reward the good and punish the bad" and I would go to Abel on that logic alone! That I come away from them NOT feeling like I just had a vacuum cleaner hose stuffed into my wallet pocket is just icing on the cake.

Just remember that while we give Rich a lot of credit as he's the "face" we interact with, he could/would not be doing what he does without Abel's complete support and belief.

Z//
Spot on Zoxxo. If you own a business and you are very busy, one can become complacent and it is a natural tendency to forget who is paying the bills. I know that my customer service acumen can always be sharpened and improved. I sure did a lot of sharpening and improvement during the recession when competing proposals were separated by a razor thin margin and because of that clients mostly made the choice based on their interactions with us.

The other thing I like about Abel is that they don't sugar coat their prognostication and they are not afraid of working with and installing aftermarket equipment.

The keys to successful businesses are not a big secret - start with competent owners and employees, treat everyone like you would like to be treated yourself, and focus on customer service. The rest usually falls into place. You just can't be so damn greedy as most of the businesses around central California have become.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:28 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Originally Posted by bimmerborn
...For the love of god I do not remember getting this much treatment from any other dealer service department...
This quote should go on a Yelp review!
Old 01-26-2017, 10:22 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Thank you all very much for the kind words, recommendations and continued support of Abel Chevrolet.

Zoxxo pretty much nailed my philosophy when it comes to customer service and how to conduct business. It does take support from the owners, but more importantly, it took A LOT of time, effort and coaching on my part. We honestly have some of the best automotive based employees that I have ever worked with here and it comes down to them working on things and treating people like they would expect in a similar scenario.

What makes it all the better for me is that I have a passion for cars and performance related stuff. It makes the job a lot more fun and I don't feel like I'm working when I talk to customers about their cars. Carrie and I have been fortunate to make a lot of new friends over the years and many of those people started off as first time customers at the dealership.

In terms of expanding to another location, stay tuned for more information on that. We will be announcing something regarding that soon. Corvette service/performance work will not initially be offered there, but it is definitely in the plans moving forward.

RICH
The following 6 users liked this post by RichieRichZ06:
andygoesfast (01-26-2017), bimmerborn (01-26-2017), Is2scooby (01-29-2017), Keith Richards (01-30-2017), Raiderh20boy (01-26-2017), Tron1 (01-26-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-26-2017, 12:23 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06

In terms of expanding to another location, stay tuned for more information on that. We will be announcing something regarding that soon. Corvette service/performance work will not initially be offered there, but it is definitely in the plans moving forward. ........
Old 01-26-2017, 12:37 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Erik Zinn
If you own a business and you are very busy, one can become complacent and it is a natural tendency to forget who is paying the bills.
For sure. If you want to ensure that I will never ever set foot in your business again just give me the smallest hint that you think you're doing ME a favor simply by being there. (and I'll be sure to tell all my friends, too.)

I am the guy with the wallet!

Z//
Old 01-26-2017, 07:02 PM
Tron1
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

My plan is to have Abel service my 2017 Stingray before the warranty expires. I have a few minor issues that I would not let my local dealer repair as they have proved incompetent. Airbag recall and minor rattle-loose fitting roof. I go to a local skilled private repair shop for the oil changes.

I just don't like the idea of traveling almost 3 hrs. over 200 miles (6 hrs. + Bay Area traffic round trip). Perhaps if an appointment can be made in advance at a specific time...and wait for an hour or two for the repair I would drive up sooner. But Abel has a terrific reputation and wish they would open satellite service 150 miles closer to Monterey...maybe San Jose or Santa Cruz...
Old 01-26-2017, 07:50 PM
Raiderh20boy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Tron1
My plan is to have Abel service my 2017 Stingray before the warranty expires. I have a few minor issues that I would not let my local dealer repair as they have proved incompetent. Airbag recall and minor rattle-loose fitting roof. I go to a local skilled private repair shop for the oil changes.

I just don't like the idea of traveling almost 3 hrs. over 200 miles (6 hrs. + Bay Area traffic round trip). Perhaps if an appointment can be made in advance at a specific time...and wait for an hour or two for the repair I would drive up sooner. But Abel has a terrific reputation and wish they would open satellite service 150 miles closer to Monterey...maybe San Jose or Santa Cruz...
All you have to do is call and talk to one of the service advisors or Rich. Tell them your issues,where you're from and they will set it up for you!
The following users liked this post:
Tron1 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 09:18 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tron1
I just don't like the idea of traveling almost 3 hrs. over 200 miles (6 hrs. + Bay Area traffic round trip). Perhaps if an appointment can be made in advance at a specific time...and wait for an hour or two for the repair I would drive up sooner.
I've been taking our two C6 daily drivers to Abel for several years now and, barring the need for keeping the car overnight, what you describe is exactly how we do it. I make an appointment for early morning (usually 8:15) and Rich makes sure they have any possibly needed parts on hand before the day. A good run from here to there takes 1 hour 40 minutes. I leave home (San Jose) at 6:30 and aside from a couple of slow spots at freeway interchanges en route the timing is almost always perfect as the rush hour traffic is almost all going the other way. Then, while Jim does the car, I walk over to MickeyD's for a bite to eat, come back and watch some TV or read some stuff on my phone and soon we're done. I'm almost always back out the door before noon, if not sooner, and home before 1:30 (avoiding the afternoon rush hour as well.) The trick is to be there early.

Try it. You'll like it

Z//
The following 2 users liked this post by Zoxxo:
RichieRichZ06 (01-27-2017), Tron1 (01-28-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Fantastic Service at Abel Chevrolet-Buick

Quick Reply: Fantastic Service at Abel Chevrolet-Buick