Northern California Northern California

Help- my C6 Z06 lost a rear leaf spring bushing

Old 02-04-2017, 01:35 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Help- my C6 Z06 lost a rear leaf spring bushing

The right rear bushing has decided to leave my car (2008 Z06) entirely, leaving the spring resting directly on the A arm. The bolt is still in place and the spring is fine.

I'm hoping somebody has used lowering bushings/bolts on their C6 Z06 and has saved the original ones, or has 1 or 2 spares for whatever reason. Rich Willhoff will check his shop for spares next week but, since that's iffy, I wanted see if I have any luck here.

There are no replacement bushing/bolt sets available through GM without buying a whole new rear spring (not cheap!) and I don't want aftermarket lowering bushings. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:05 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
The right rear bushing has decided to leave my car (2008 Z06) entirely, leaving the spring resting directly on the A arm. The bolt is still in place and the spring is fine.

I'm hoping somebody has used lowering bushings/bolts on their C6 Z06 and has saved the original ones, or has 1 or 2 spares for whatever reason. Rich Willhoff will check his shop for spares next week but, since that's iffy, I wanted see if I have any luck here.

There are no replacement bushing/bolt sets available through GM without buying a whole new rear spring (not cheap!) and I don't want aftermarket lowering bushings. Thanks.
PM sent
Old 02-04-2017, 02:26 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by 383vett
PM sent
Got it- thanks bud. And the answer to your question is....no!
Old 02-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Les
Race Director

Willie, I did talk to Christopher and he directed me to a company that was closed due to the time difference on the east coast. His info sounded promising but somewhat dated, so the bottom line is that I'm still not sure if I can get what I need. I'll know more by Monday about them and hopefully will hear from Rich.

Fingers crossed and ears open to anybody else who might be able to help.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:05 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 650 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
Willie, I did talk to Christopher and he directed me to a company that was closed due to the time difference on the east coast. His info sounded promising but somewhat dated, so the bottom line is that I'm still not sure if I can get what I need. I'll know more by Monday about them and hopefully will hear from Rich.

Fingers crossed and ears open to anybody else who might be able to help.
The reproductions sold by Corvette Central are nearly exact copies of the OEM rear ride height adjuster bolts:

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50h&ukey=51135

The bushing at the end of one of my stock bolts disintegrated like yours, and the others were on their way out. I replaced them with the Corvette Central bolts last year. So far so good.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:40 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by torquetube
The reproductions sold by Corvette Central are nearly exact copies of the OEM rear ride height adjuster bolts:

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50h&ukey=51135

The bushing at the end of one of my stock bolts disintegrated like yours, and the others were on their way out. I replaced them with the Corvette Central bolts last year. So far so good.
Thanks for posting. I was just going to update this thread with that info. I just ordered a set.

When installing them, were you able to jack the spring end up enough to remove and replace the bushings or is there disassembly required?
Old 02-06-2017, 02:50 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 650 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
Thanks for posting. I was just going to update this thread with that info. I just ordered a set.

When installing them, were you able to jack the spring end up enough to remove and replace the bushings or is there disassembly required?
Some disassembly is required to get enough suspension droop. If I recall correctly I disconnected the shocks, a balljoint at each corner, and one anti-roll link per axle.

I'd leave the anti-roll links disconnected until you get the new bolts adjusted. My car only took two rounds of adjustments post-install (with short test drives in between) to get adjusted. It did not require weeks for the suspension to settle or any of that.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by torquetube
Some disassembly is required to get enough suspension droop. If I recall correctly I disconnected the shocks, a balljoint at each corner, and one anti-roll link per axle.

I'd leave the anti-roll links disconnected until you get the new bolts adjusted. My car only took two rounds of adjustments post-install (with short test drives in between) to get adjusted. It did not require weeks for the suspension to settle or any of that.
That's not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but the info is much appreciated.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:38 PM
383vett
Race Director

Les, can't you just add some heat to the leaf spring? It'll sag enough that you can squeeze a new bushing in and you should be good to go. If the ride height is not even, just torch the other side until even.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:00 PM
Les
Race Director

Les, can't you just add some heat to the leaf spring? It'll sag enough that you can squeeze a new bushing in and you should be good to go. If the ride height is not even, just torch the other side until even.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:02 PM
383vett
Race Director

No need for sarcasm. Just trying to give out free advice. (advise)

Last edited by 383vett; 02-06-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:25 PM
Les
Race Director

No need for sarcasm. Just trying to give out free advice. (advise)
And worth exactly what I paid for it.

Get notified of new replies

To Help- my C6 Z06 lost a rear leaf spring bushing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help- my C6 Z06 lost a rear leaf spring bushing