Northern California Northern California

Taking the Magic out of Vette Magic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 09:51 PM
VidViper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking the Magic out of Vette Magic?

So my understanding is that we've gone from having an all Corvette drag race and car show to having an "any Chevy allowed" drag race and Corvette car show to canceling that drags and moving the show to San Leandro? While F.H. Dailey Chevrolet is a fine place for sales and service, it is a $h!+ place for a car show. Does the host club think that watering down the event will improve their profits? The only way to make the event better, is to make it better! Such a disappointment that an iconic event like Vette Magic is being flushed down the toilet.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:59 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

When I first started going to Vette Magic, there were over 154 Corvettes that ran. I only ran the three preliminary dial in tests because of other commitments. Then it became a family event with my two boys and myself driving the 85. We expanded this to two cars and were going to challenge the men against the women that year but got rained out....that was a very sad day for all of us. One of my suppliers was active in the club that put this on and was always pushing the event. You would find posters in every auto supply store all over the Bay area. Well in advance of the event it was being talked up on this Forum and I would get a registration form mailed to the house. Then something changed. The club had my mailing address and email address and no advance registration...no promotion. Nothing in the auto supply windows about the event. The last time we went there were only about 50 Corvettes there. I didn't make it last year for this "combined Chevy event" due to clutch issues.

I am sorry to see this fall by the wayside. It was always a treat to see ***** out there consistently running in the 10's. It was a event that covered all generations and all levels of driver's experience. Not only was this a racing event, but a social gathering of friends made from prior years running's. Okay I will admit that I did enjoy running the 85 after modding and kicking the *** of a few C5's on the track.

Last edited by John A. Marker; 03-13-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Jim McCombe
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Add my name to the disappointment list.
I recently purchased a set of drag radials with plans on making this years Vette Magic event at Sacramento Raceway.
In years past, I always had a conflict of dates which prevented me from coming only now to read about this.
I am sure there are many others who are disappointed as well including past champs and friends Willie Woo and Christopher Martin.
We can only hope that something can be done to save this tradional event and keep it intact as it once was.

Last edited by Jim McCombe; 03-25-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:38 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

33 years ago I took my first run down the quarter mile at Fremont's Vette Magic in my then new 84 Vette. This experience got me addicted to the sport that I enjoy to this day. What a wonderful chance we have had to meet hundreds of other Corvette enthusiasts sharing the same passion for our cars during the years. I hope rumors of the demise of this event are not true because we would all be left with a large void in our hearts. This event is our only chance to go head to head with our fellow Corvette friends for a day. Let's all hope for a Hail Mary miracle. Willie

Last edited by 383vett; 03-14-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:40 PM
Jim McCombe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 383vett
33 years ago I took my first run down the quarter mile at Fremont's Vette Magic in my then new 84 Vette. This experience got me addicted to the sport that I enjoy to this day. What a wonderful chance we have had to meet hundreds of other Corvette enthusiasts sharing the same passion for our cars during the years. I hope rumors of the demise of this event are not true because we would all be left with a large void in our hearts. This event is our only chance to go head to head with our fellow Corvette friends for a day. Let's all hope for a Hail Mary miracle. Willie
Well put Willie, I couldn't have said it betterr.
I often wondered had the event been held in Sonoma could it have changed things? As you klnow, even on Wednesday nights we get a fair number of Corvettes racing in the middle of the week and this is without any type of real promotion.
As I recall and you were there on as Wednesday night, a few years back, we had some 52 or so Corvette's in competition in the Corvette class.
Lets hope for that "Hail Mary" pass and that this event can be saved.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:45 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim McCombe
Well put Willie, I couldn't have said it betterr.
I often wondered had the event been held in Sonoma could it have changed things? As you klnow, even on Wednesday nights we get a fair number of Corvettes racing in the middle of the week and this is without any type of real promotion.
As I recall and you were there on as Wednesday night, a few years back, we had some 52 or so Corvette's in competition in the Corvette class.
Lets hope for that "Hail Mary" pass and that this event can be saved.
Wow, this is sad new indeed! I have very much looked forward to the annual Vette Magic drag races to go head to head with all the other Vette owners over the past 10 years since I have owned my C6. Jim, I was there a few years back at Sonoma when we had a great Vette turn out with our own lanes to go head to head with each other. If I remember correctly, George and or Richie arranged that get together and it was a very fun time. Hopefully, someone with better organization skills than I have, can set up something like that again. Keith
Old 03-14-2017, 11:08 PM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 361 Posts

I am sure Georgia would be accommodating if we could get at least 16 cars in a lane, she helped me big time back in the day with our Mopar races. I may try and make it out tomorrow if I can slip away from work and dig my helmet out of the trailer. I have to sharpen my footbrake skills cause the wife threw down a challenge with her new to her C6. I will talk to Georgia and see if we could arrange a 1st or 2nd Wednesday each month or something? Would be easy to get plenty I am sure with this and the Syndicate site.

The following 2 users liked this post by Keith Richards:
Boat Racer (03-14-2017), Is2scooby (03-15-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 04:41 PM
Jim McCombe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Keith Richards
I am sure Georgia would be accommodating if we could get at least 16 cars in a lane, she helped me big time back in the day with our Mopar races. I may try and make it out tomorrow if I can slip away from work and dig my helmet out of the trailer. I have to sharpen my footbrake skills cause the wife threw down a challenge with her new to her C6. I will talk to Georgia and see if we could arrange a 1st or 2nd Wednesday each month or something? Would be easy to get plenty I am sure with this and the Syndicate site.

Keith,
Georgia is easy to work with. I am sure that something can be worked for a Wednesday night. The weekend Summit ET Series events along with the different racing associations would be a different story all together with the much bigger car counts
You can call Georgia at the track 707-938-8448 EXT 115 or write her at: GSeipel@sonomaraceway.com You can count on me as well as our media department to help promote this. Just need a confirmed date!

Last edited by Jim McCombe; 03-18-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:01 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Sorry to hear Corvette Magic is no longer Corvette-Only Drags.
Jim, I remember back in '08 there were 2 dedicated Corvette lanes at Infineon on certain Wednesday Nights and it was a blast and was the reason I reconnected with my old drag racing friend, Jack Nilsen, RIP. Wish I still lived only 40 minutes from the track. Hope you guys are able to put something together and bring back Corvette Drags.

Mike T - Prescott AZ

Last edited by Vet65te; 03-23-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:07 PM
Jim McCombe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Sorry to hear Corvette Magic is no longer Corvette-Only Drags.
Jim, I remember back in '08 there were 2 dedicated Corvette lanes at Infineon on certain Wednesday Nights and it was a blast and was the reason I reconnected with my old drag racing friend, Jack Nilsen, RIP. Wish I still lived only 40 minutes from the track. Hope you guys are able to put something together and bring back Corvette Drags.

Mike T - Prescott AZ
Mike,
Hopefully something can be done to save Vette Magic as it once was.
Getting a place to hold it would be the first business of order.
Ritchie was indeed one of the driving forces that helped with the Wednesday night turn out at the then Infineon Raceway of which I believe had a total of some 54 Corvettes or so. I could only imagine what it would have looked like on a weekend there with some dedicated promotion. There are still people talking about that race today some of which who are new Corvette owners who weren't there but heard about it from someone else.
Thanks for putting the photos up, brought back a few more good memories of that great evening. Thanks for your comments as well
Hope all is fine with you down there in Arizona and that you now are enjoying the good life as it was meant to be.
Jim

Last edited by Jim McCombe; 03-25-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:38 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

It was a norcal vettes event I think
And it was a Saturday But I do remember a day we did it on a wend night as well....Im sure us at CorvetteSyndicate could get a nice group of cars out at the track....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...july-16th.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-raceway.html

Mike,
Ritchie was indeed one of the driving forces that helped with the Wednesday night turn out at the then Infineon Raceway of which I believe had a total of some 54 Corvettes or so. I could only imagine what it would have looked like on a weekend there with some dedicated promotion. There are still people talking about that race today some of which who are new Corvette owners who weren't there but heard about it from someone else.
Thanks for putting the photos up, brought back a few more good memories of that great evening. Thanks for your comments as well
Hope all is fine with you down there in Arizona and that you now are enjoying the good life as it was meant to be.
Jim

Last edited by ptroxx; 03-26-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:14 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

The pics I posted were from a Wednesday Night Drags late in the year, October 29th 2008 but I think you're right, Norcal Vettes were involved with putting this together. Having a couple of Corvette-Only staging lanes was neat, everyone I talked with had a good time. If something similar could be put together again, I'm sure there would be a lot of interest.

Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 03-26-2017, 02:48 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vet65te
The pics I posted were from a Wednesday Night Drags late in the year, October 29th 2008 but I think you're right, Norcal Vettes were involved with putting this together. Having a couple of Corvette-Only staging lanes was neat, everyone I talked with had a good time. If something similar could be put together again, I'm sure there would be a lot of interest.

Mike T - Prescott AZ
That's funny. Richie and carries car in the background. The car looks nothing like that now. Lolol.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:20 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Seems sac raceways up for sale now. Guess infinions the only place to go.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:20 PM
BodaciousBlue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vetterdstr
Seems sac raceways up for sale now. Guess infinions the only place to go.
I think your right Steve. Hey how have you been buddy. Long time since we last made contact. I think our last conversation was that you completely restored your vette from the frame up.

Reuben
The following users liked this post:
vetterdstr (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:41 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by BodaciousBlue
I think your right Steve. Hey how have you been buddy. Long time since we last made contact. I think our last conversation was that you completely restored your vette from the frame up.

Reuben
Hey Reuben! Good to see ya here! I'm doing good! Yeah the car was completely rebuilt and it's like having a brand new 99 all over again. Except for all the extra goodies. I don't drive it much. Coming up I will be driving it more.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Mike,
Jim
Hi Jim are you aware if Georgia has been contacted by anyone yet? I sent her an email last week but have not heard back from her yet.

Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To Taking the Magic out of Vette Magic?

Old 05-02-2017, 12:00 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VidViper
So my understanding is that we've gone from having an all Corvette drag race and car show to having an "any Chevy allowed" drag race and Corvette car show to canceling that drags and moving the show to San Leandro? While F.H. Dailey Chevrolet is a fine place for sales and service, it is a $h!+ place for a car show. Does the host club think that watering down the event will improve their profits? The only way to make the event better, is to make it better! Such a disappointment that an iconic event like Vette Magic is being flushed down the toilet.
What is done is done. So rather than complaining I sent an email to
Georgia and asked for a lane on Wednesday night this summer (to be determined) and she agreed to it. Would any of you like to help me set this up? Of course we could use a couple of sponsors (are you reading this Rich); a few email lists and let's not forget that special track star announcer as he sure would be an asset to get this thing moving along (Are you with me Jim?). I can contact the local Corvette clubs and the WSCC to spread the word. So let's put our heads together and have a fun Wednesday night.
The following 2 users liked this post by Charles Gerughty:
Boat Racer (05-08-2017), Is2scooby (05-04-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 06:30 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Gerughty
Georgia and asked for a lane on Wednesday night this summer (to be determined) and she agreed to it. Would any of you like to help me set this up? Of course we could use a couple of sponsors (are you reading this Rich); a few email lists and let's not forget that special track star announcer as he sure would be an asset to get this thing moving along (Are you with me Jim?). I can contact the local Corvette clubs and the WSCC to spread the word. So let's put our heads together and have a fun Wednesday night.
I like your thinking. If you can put something together I can probably convince a local or two to come out and play. At the very least, a few folks would probably show up as spectators.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:16 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

I'd be down to help out in some way if I can.
Just let me know.

Originally Posted by Charles Gerughty
The following users liked this post:
Jim McCombe (05-17-2017)

Quick Reply: Taking the Magic out of Vette Magic?