Looking for a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 05:57 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Looking for a trailer

Hello fellow forum members,

I am in need of trailer for my 2010 GS. I will be moving cross country and will love to be able to tow my own car instead of paying a transport. I will be driving a penske or u-haul truck. I know the u-haul car carrier might work if you get the one which wheel wells come off and do some other adventurous things. However, how can I guarantee I will get the right trailer from uhaul? Looking for a used, in good condition trailer at a good price.
please let me know if you have something for sale or know where I can get one.

thanks
Julian
Old 03-20-2017, 01:21 AM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you get a used trailer you need to pack the wheel bearings and check the tires carefully.Most trailers are 5 on 4.5 (small ford ) so a spare wheel isnt hard to get.A Vette might be a little wide for a Uhaul trailer.A warning-I have had to fix a uhaul truck.Uhaul doesnt maintain their fleet as well as Penske.You might do better putting your stuff in one of those box containers and have it trucked to your new place and drive the vette.If you do get a trailer I can service it for you at my shop.PM if interested.I am moving in 2 weeks and I am renting from Penske.Moved 3 years ago and got a 26' box truck with a lift gate .The truck only had 9k miles on it.Allison auto trans with air brakes and rear air ride.A very pro level truck but not cheap to rent.Best of luck.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:35 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Well the idea is to be able to tow the car as well as move my stuff in a rental truck. Does anyone know where I can buy a new trailer that is affordable? I don't need top of the line just something to move the corvette across the country. I have no other use for it.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:38 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

If you look at Craigslist you'll see brand new enclosed trailers in the low $6k range for the basic units (20' long)....plus you can also store more stuff in it besides the car if the moving truck runs out of space. You can also find open car trailers brand new in the low $3k range. These are not the top of the line fancy units, but being brand new you can almost guarantee that you aren't going to have issues towing across country.

Used trailer prices are all over the board....sometimes people ask more than what they bought them for and they look like crap and beat up. But, there are units out there that might work for you.

You're not the first person to buy a new trailer, use it for storage at your new place for a few months to get moved in and then sell it to recoup the majority of your initial investment.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a trailer

Quick Reply: Looking for a trailer