Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
1COOLPC
CF Senior Member

Default Anybody have to sedate their dog before going to the vet?

Baxter just flat out doesn't like vets. He's 70 pounds, 3 years old and doesn't like them touching him. He is great with every other person, kids and other animals, he just doesn't like vets. He was a very sick pup, parvo, coccidia, kennel cough, etc. Pretty much everything. He spent a lot of time in his first six months at the vet. Now he's great though, only one other sibling in his litter survived so we feel lucky.

But now it's time to go to the vet again. He tries to get away, if he can't get away he shows his teeth, if they still come then he will try to bite. The doctor game some sedatives for him to take on his next visit, which is today. The pills are 25mg Acepromazine. He wants Baxter to take 3 of them 30 minutes prior to the visit.

Has anybody had to do this? I would almost rather use a muzzle but I want whatever is easiest on the dog. Are there any negatives or risks to sedating him? Just looking for a little experienced reassurance. Thanks.
1COOLPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
mojo1
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Send a message via AIM to mojo1

one of Chihuahuas, all 7 pounds of him,and he hates people. They have to put a mussle on him to take care of him . The little room you go to has a door that goes to the back room where they take him and last time I went the lady took him back to wiegh she left the door open , next thing I see is SHorty, running down the hall and the vet lady after him with a a towel, it was pretty funny to me but the vet was pissed. She told me he needs to see a doggy shrink....LOL
here is Shorty Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by mojo1; 10-11-2007 at 03:02 PM.
mojo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Scoob
CF Senior Member

Sometimes I think I should sedate our lab before taking her. She gets so damn happy to see everyone there that she doesn't want to sit still.
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
billyranger
CF Senior Member

My cat Rockey had to be wrapped in a comforter when he was getting his shots, he would rip you open if he were loose. BUt othe wise he was a real mush. He passed away 5 years ago
billyranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
1COOLPC
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post
Sometimes I think I should sedate our lab before taking her. She gets so damn happy to see everyone there that she doesn't want to sit still.
I wish I had that problem. I know Baxter is remembering the multiple times a huge needle was inserted under his back skin and a giant bubble of water was injected into him, making him look like a camel, in order to hydrate him. That HAD to be miserable.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
oahuyahoo
CF Senior Member

[QUOTE=mojo1;1562262943]one of Chihuahuas, all 7 pounds of him,and he hates people. QUOTE]
My kind of mutt.
oahuyahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
jfb
CF Senior Member

Didn't need drugs, but a dachshundt we had knew the way in the car to the vets and knew she didn't want to go there.
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
MBVette
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Send a message via AIM to MBVette

if you can you should take your dog to the vet just for a fun visit. Let them pet her and have give her some treats and then leave.

This way they dont see the vets office as such a bad place.

Its a bonus for me since all the girls at the vets office are smokin except for the amazon who can hands down kick my ***. But hey that can be fun too
MBVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
OddBall
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1 View Post
one of Chihuahuas, all 7 pounds of him,and he hates people. They have to put a mussle on him to take care of him . The little room you go to has a door that goes to the back room where they take him and last time I went the lady took him back to wiegh she left the door open , next thing I see is SHorty, running down the hall and the vet lady after him with a a towel, it was pretty funny to me but the vet was pissed. She told me he needs to see a doggy shrink....LOL
here is Shorty Click the image to open in full size.
Looks like he was tryin' to squeeze one out when you took that pic
OddBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
[BCO]Shinsou
CF Senior Member

Send a message via Skype™ to [BCO]Shinsou

Nope. Valley just shakes at the vet, she shakes a lot.
[BCO]Shinsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #11
1COOLPC
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBVette View Post
if you can you should take your dog to the vet just for a fun visit. Let them pet her and have give her some treats and then leave.

This way they dont see the vets office as such a bad place.

Its a bonus for me since all the girls at the vets office are smokin except for the amazon who can hands down kick my ***. But hey that can be fun too
Did that, per the vet's suggestion, many times. Gave him treats. Had play time, the works. All fine and good until they go to do something on him then he wigs out. He knows what's going on unfortunately.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #12
Hvymtlc5
CF Senior Member

Minute the Vet door opens to go...dog can smell what she doesn't like or associated with pain (shots, qtip up azz). She just lays on the floor and goes limp......hard to pick up 40lb limber dogs...so I just drag her in by her collar. Harder for me than her..I need sedation.
Hvymtlc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:41 PM   #13
97silver
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvymtlc5 View Post
Minute the Vet door opens to go...dog can smell what she doesn't like or associated with pain (shots, qtip up azz). She just lays on the floor and goes limp......hard to pick up 40lb limber dogs...so I just drag her in by her collar. Harder for me than her..I need sedation.
Try that will 110 Great Pyrenees it is really funny.....she puts on here brakes and we can't budge her! It takes 4 of us to get her in the exam room. Then there is the groomer
97silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #14
93Polo
CF Senior Member
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Send a message via AIM to 93Polo

My ex GF's Pitbull shakes and may even pee on the floor when you take her to the groomer or the vet That baby killer is the biggest wuss
93Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #15
1COOLPC
CF Senior Member

I guess if I didn't have the ability to reason I would punch my doctor right in the face every time I heard the rubber glove snap.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #16
97silver
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1COOLPC View Post
I guess if I didn't have the ability to reason I would punch my doctor right in the face every time I heard the rubber glove snap.
Well here is a thought if you want to follow the advice of the Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan. You should take your dog to the vet for just a visit to say hello with NO treatment. If you do this often enough the dog will stop believeing that only BAD things happen there and that should solve the issue. this is the advice of the all knowing Dog Whisperer maybe worth a try?
97silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #17
1COOLPC
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97silver View Post
Well here is a thought if you want to follow the advice of the Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan. You should take your dog to the vet for just a visit to say hello with NO treatment. If you do this often enough the dog will stop believeing that only BAD things happen there and that should solve the issue. this is the advice of the all knowing Dog Whisperer maybe worth a try?
See post #11. We did try that but without much success.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:02 PM   #18
mrmoore
CF Senior Member

Be very careful using "Ace". In some cases, some dogs are known to show abnormal aggression when coming out of anesthesia on that product. Our rescue does not allow the use of Ace if the dog is going home within 18 hours of coming out of anesthesia.
mrmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #19
smearig
CF Senior Member

We give Blue ace before taking him to the vet. He's a vicious biter and an angry little man in general. The vet/techs won't even get close to him until either my wife or I put the muzzle on him. It's a pain, but it's kind of nice to have a dog that only likes two people in the whole world.

Click the image to open in full size.
smearig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #20
1COOLPC
CF Senior Member

Smearig, was the outcome of giving your dog the drug positive? How long did the drug last? Did he get sick? Was he able to walk into the vet under his own power or did you have to carry him? He looks about the same size as Baxter. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Anybody have to sedate their dog before going to the vet?

Tags
ace, amount, back, dog, dogs, give, lady, running, sedate, sedating, taking, vet, vicious