Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 12-21-2008, 03:15 AM   #1
PUNISHER VETTE
CF Senior Member

Default What's an old projection TV worth?

My parents have like a 60" Sony projection TV that they really don't need.

I believe it was made in 2000 or something along those lines.

I know it's not worth much to the people of OT since it's not a 90000" double plasma LCD hybrid gold edition but....

I think they picked it up at an auction for $600 which was cheap at the time. I was thinking maybe they could get someone to buy it for $500 now? It's HD ready i believe if not 1080i already.

Only thing is it weighs a gabillion lbs so whoever buys it maybe i can say i'll help with the moving as a bonus incentive...

Click the image to open in full size.
PUNISHER VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:17 AM   #2
tuktuk
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In 9 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

My folks donated their to a nonprofit retirement home and took the tax write-off. The place came and picked it up, too, and apparently the thing's a big hit.
tuktuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:20 AM   #3
PUNISHER VETTE
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuktuk View Post
My folks donated their to a nonprofit retirement home and took the tax write-off. The place came and picked it up, too, and apparently the thing's a big hit.
that might be something they can look into but i have a feeling he already uses all the write offs he can. I know he donates a lot to the U of Illinois and i believe you can only write off so much a year right?
Old 12-21-2008, 03:23 AM   #4
tuktuk
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In 9 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE View Post
that might be something they can look into but i have a feeling he already uses all the write offs he can. I know he donates a lot to the U of Illinois and i believe you can only write off so much a year right?
Depends on his income and (i think) whether he's subject to AMT.

Hey, they can always advertise on craigslist at $500 and see if anyone bites... my gut tells me it won't sell for that price, but I'm not basing that on anything in reality, just a hunch that those TVs aren't in high demand anymore.
tuktuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
PUNISHER VETTE
CF Senior Member

Quote:

Hey, they can always advertise on craigslist at $500 and see if anyone bites... my gut tells me it won't sell for that price, but I'm not basing that on anything in reality, just a hunch that those TVs aren't in high demand anymore.
yeah that's what i was thinking. I've seen a big projection TV on craigslist for a while now so i have a feeling nobody wants them.

I think if they can't get $500 for it they might as well keep it as it's still a good TV for them since they definitely aren't watching anything in high def.

I'll ask about the donating though as i'm sure there are a ton of sororities/frats that might come get it.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:31 AM   #6
battsup
CF Senior Member

Quote:

I'm with Tuk on this one, you are not going to get anything for that TV. I'd wager to say about $50-$150. I know its not what you want to hear but I went through this recently when I upgraded to my plasma. I now had my ginormous RPTV to get rid of and obviously no one is gonna buy it because
A) it weighs so much and they won't be able to take it home, and
B) because its not small and concealable or HDTV like the new electronics.

What I ended up doing is putting it downstairs in a corner of the office that wasn't being used. It is now the games tv where I have an xbox, wii and ps3 hooked up. My buddy is a saleman at an electronics shop and people PAY HIM to take away their 4-5 year old projection TV's because no one wants to buy them. It's kind of sad, we paid $3600 for my TV and it was MSRP of $4900 back then. My uncle bought a 60" widescreen projection tv for about $4000 I believe it was 4 years ago. I don't think it will fetch more than $300 these days.
battsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:01 AM   #7
PostShawn
CF Senior Member

About 3 years ago I picked up a Sony 53 inch model for $500. At the time I got it, it was only 4-5 years old. So it's around the same age as yours. My model had an option to get it HD ready but the one I got does not have that option. We were talking about it and thinking we'd be lucky to get $250 for it today, probably more like 100-200. I'd say check craigslist for your area or somewhere close and see what similar ones are going for. It's a lowball price usually on there but will give an idea at least.

Last edited by PostShawn; 12-21-2008 at 04:03 AM.
PostShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:53 AM   #8
Scream And Fly
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE View Post
I was thinking maybe they could get someone to buy it for $500 now?
Uhh no.
Scream And Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:43 AM   #9
SLO C5
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Location: Are you fat because you're lazy or lazy because you're fat? San Jose, CA

I have a 62" Toshiba 4:3 TV from ~2001. It was around $3500 when new. At the time it was one of the nicest TVs you could buy. I bought it in 2004 for $600, and I still have it. I think I've moved 7 times now. It's on wheels which is really nice. It's honestly not that heavy, just big and cumbersome. Two people can lift it pretty easily.

If you don't have HD at your house/apartment, I still think this is a great way to go. I couldn't give it away if I tried, but I think the picture is pretty darn good, particularly when watching DVDs. It does have component video inputs on it. The display area is comparable to a ~75" widescreen TV.
SLO C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:05 AM   #10
Stevedore
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14

We have a 55" Mitsubishi RPTV that we're thinking of replacing with a flat panel. I've been watching Craigslist prices on RPTVs in our area, and I expect we'll have to settle for someone taking it away for free. If we're lucky.
Stevedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:10 AM   #11
PUNISHER VETTE
CF Senior Member

I just put it on craiglist for $500. I know it's a long shot but it's at least worth a shot.

Other tv's being sold in the area included a 60" RCA for $500, 65" Sony for $750.... So if anyone was looking at those they might be interested in this one.

If it doesn't sell then o well. They'll just have to keep it or give it to me...which why would i want it with my new plasma...
Old 12-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #12
1BAD-LS1
CF Senior Member

I got $250.00 for an old Toshiba 56" on eBay last year. Guy picked up and paid cash
1964 Corvette Convertible - Numbers Matching L75 327/300HP
2008 Porsche 911 Carrera - Arctic Silver Metallic
2010 Camaro SS - Silver Ice Metallic
"Gone But Not Forgotten"
1998 Torch Red C5 Coupe
1996 Sebring Silver LT4 Collector's Edition Coupe
1993 Bright Aqua LT1 Coupe

East Coast Supercharging
1BAD-LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #13
Tim2K4Vert
CF Senior Member

You'll be lucky to find someone to take it off your hands for free.
Tim2K4Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #14
GS Ragtop
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'11

I was going to hire some movers to bring our old Toshiba 16:9 56" RPTV from the second floor TV room down to the basement. Thought it would be nice to use the old set in the exercise room. Turns out the movers would charge more than buying a new 32" flat panel for the basement. Old RPTV is going in the attic.
GS Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #15
c4cruiser
CF Senior Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor
Support Corvetteforum!

I have the 43" version of that Sony and the last time I checked the local Craigslist, they were running around $300 to $400. Mine works fine but as mentioned, it takes two people to move it as the size of this thing is huge by wide.

So far it still works fine and the HD image is very good but the set is going on 7 years old.
c4cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #16
MIKE-C5
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08

Donated and take the right off !
MIKE-C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:41 AM   #17
CHASLS2
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13

You have to pay me to take it.
CHASLS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #18
98RKC
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to 98RKC

When I got my new set last Nov. I gave my old Pioneer 53 inch RP to my sister-in-laws boyfriend with the stipulation that HE would have to get it out of my basement. Little over 200 pounds(the set, not him). He got it out, into his pickup over to his house and down his basement stairs and just before setting it down....as he turned the corner at the bottom of the stairs, he heard a POP...the end of the hand railing punctured a hole in the screen
I looked up replacements on line and it looked like a 300 to 500 replacement
He ended up finding a guy locally that had large pieces the you cut to size and he fixed it for....$25 It actually still looks pretty damn good
98RKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #19
Paul Scarpelli
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to Paul Scarpelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim2K4Vert View Post
You'll be lucky to find someone to take it off your hands for free.
Werd. And although it may be digital ready, it's not "HD ready." That's a standard 480i NTSC doghouse. Donate it. I just donated an older 35" JVC CRT, and the place was excited to get it!
Paul Scarpelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #20
GotVett?
CF Senior Member

I should have sold my pieces as I upgraded, so consequently, I have decades of old, best of's (at that point in time of each) warehoused in my home. Gotta get them all rounded up and EBay'd or something. Still hard to "give away" like new pieces, even though they're not the latest greatest. Guess that's why I still have them.
GotVett? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:44 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page What's an old projection TV worth?

Tags
1984, 42, donating, floor, inch, model, nj, photo, projection, rid, sale, tv, tvs, whats, worth