Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 01-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
C5Longhorn
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to C5Longhorn
Default [Guns] Glock G19 vs Springfield XD9SC

Hi,

I'm in the market for a 9MM and have narrowed it down to either a Glock 19 or a Springfield Arms XD9 sub compact with extended magazine. I went and shot them yesterday and they both felt nice. This is making the decision hard.

I would like to hear opinions on these two and if there is any other criteria I should consider. I plan to use this gun for target shooting, some concealed carry, and home defense.

Glock
Features
Longer 4" Barrel than XD9SC
More aftermarket and available parts
Its a Glock....proven reliability

SA XD9SC
Features
Grip Safety
Hammer\round indicators
Slightly cheaper

[Cliff Notes]:
Shot G19 and SAXD9SC
Which one would you get and why

Thanks,

Rick
C5Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
samsonxd
CF Senior Member

I used to have a glock 17 and used it it went bang but I didn't care for it, it was a work gun at the time so I had no choice. I didn't like the feel of the glock in my hand it shot fine but the XDSC 9 I have fits like a dream I can shoot that thing all day, and it just feels right, also I like the fact the XD has the grip safety as well. You should always press check so the round indicator should not matter that much if it is a deal breaker for you. Also it has been my experience which does not count for much but barrel length is not usually the problem if you are going to carry it is the grip that is much harder to conceal.

Last edited by samsonxd; 01-04-2009 at 05:44 PM.
samsonxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
BADMFR
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08

HK P2000 9mm

Out of the 2 I'd get the springfield.
BADMFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
C5Longhorn
CF Senior Member

Thanks Samson. I'm leaning towards the XD9SC but wanted to hear opinions and see if there is any other criteria I haven't thought of that I should use to evaluate.

Rick
Old 01-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
C5Longhorn
CF Senior Member

Is the size of the XD handle with extended magazine prone to sticking out to far and "printing"?

Thanks,

Rick
Old 01-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
ProfMoriarty
CF Senior Member

You really can't beat a Glock:

1. They're practically indestructible. You can shoot hundreds of thousands of full power loads through them. I think Chuck Taylor, 'ol Mr. Die-hard 1911 is still trying to break his after over 300,000 rounds through a G17.

2. The polymer frame flexes imperceptibly under recoil which reduces felt recoil and probably contributes to the Glocks prodigious frame longevity.

3. The bore axis is very low. This result in minimal muzzle flip allowing very fast follow up shots.

4. The trigger is available in various weights depending on your preference and intended use of the weapon.

5. The Tennifer metal treatment has a Rockwell hardness and corrosion resistance that is unmatched in the firearms industry.

6. The entire firearm can be detail stripped with a small punch.

7. The thin grip frame allows a high magazine capacity while still retaining a slim grip width. The G19 is actually slimmer through the grip than the single stack Sig P225.

8. A bullet exiting the Glock's polygonal rifled barrel has a greater muzzle velocity than in a conventionally rifled barrel of the same length.

9. The grip angle is ergonomically perfect. Hold your hand out, point your index finger and make a fist with your remaining fingers. The angle that's formed with your wrist and fingers is exactly the Glock grip angle. Not only does this make the weapon a natural pointer, but it allows greater control since the wrist isn't cocked back slightly as is the case with handguns utilizing a 1911 grip angle.

That's the objective part.

The subjective part, which you can feel free to discard, is that the too busy XD is one of the ugliest handguns produced. While the G19 is no beauty queen, form does not have to be sacrificed for function. There should be some pride of ownership which would be a challenge for me with an XD.
ProfMoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
VegasJen
CF Senior Member

i've never shot a glock, because i can't get past the goofy (to me) handling. love my XD.
VegasJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
samsonxd
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Longhorn View Post
Is the size of the XD handle with extended magazine prone to sticking out to far and "printing"?

Thanks,

Rick
I have not noticed it to be a problem holster selection plays a big part of that, I am going to try the comp-tac Minotaur, I keep hearing great things about that holster.

oh and not my subcompact that is getting some custom work done still but my 4" service 45 13+1 rds whats not to love and I carry this alot as well.

Click the image to open in full size.

lol also cheap plug for my m4 because I think that thing is a work of art now there is beauty.

I will say though I shoot all the time and I have been using the XD gear paddle holster and the finsh at the tip has wore off I don't know maybe glock has a bette finish but I do not worry about it the xd is my go to gun so it shows the wear with pride. The SC i plan to carry more so I sent it off to have the grip reduction refinshed and grips redone. So we shall see.

Last edited by samsonxd; 01-04-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
c4cruiser
CF Senior Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor
Support Corvetteforum!

If you want to do some target shooting, I would go with a longer barrel. The 3" barrel is going to take a lot of work on your part for accuracy at say 25 yds. It's great for CCW given the small size and weight and will work for HD too. The rail is a plus for lights or laser if you want that.

Also, XD's have a grip safety which is a good safety feature to have.

I'm not a Glock fan as none of them seemed to fit my hand very well. Never cared for the trigger either.

Quote:
1. They're practically indestructible. You can shoot hundreds of thousands of full power loads through them. I think Chuck Taylor, 'ol Mr. Die-hard 1911 is still trying to break his after over 300,000 rounds through a G17.
You will find that most quality pistols are capable of shooting hundreds of thousands of rounds with no real wear issues. SA is one of those that will do that easily

2. The polymer frame flexes imperceptibly under recoil which reduces felt recoil and probably contributes to the Glocks prodigious frame longevity.
Wouldn't a flexing of the frame impact accuracy?

3. The bore axis is very low. This result in minimal muzzle flip allowing very fast follow up shots.

4. The trigger is available in various weights depending on your preference and intended use of the weapon.
With any pistol, it's possible to adjust the pull weight based on your preferences.

5. The Tennifer metal treatment has a Rockwell hardness and corrosion resistance that is unmatched in the firearms industry.
SA uses a Melonite treatment for the slide and barrel making the hardness beyond many other pistols. It's a 70 on the Rockwell C hardness scale.

6. The entire firearm can be detail stripped with a small punch.
Don't need any tool to strip an XD. And in most cases, you really don't need to detail strip pistols.

7. The thin grip frame allows a high magazine capacity while still retaining a slim grip width. The G19 is actually slimmer through the grip than the single stack Sig P225.
The grip may be slim, but I think the only real way for a pistol to be comfortable and accurate is to have it fit your hand.

8. A bullet exiting the Glock's polygonal rifled barrel has a greater muzzle velocity than in a conventionally rifled barrel of the same length.
Unless there is a big difference in velocity from the Glock barrel, the bullet weight would be more of an issue in velocity between a Glock and another pistol of the same caliber where the barrel lengths are the same.

9. The grip angle is ergonomically perfect. Hold your hand out, point your index finger and make a fist with your remaining fingers. The angle that's formed with your wrist and fingers is exactly the Glock grip angle. Not only does this make the weapon a natural pointer, but it allows greater control since the wrist isn't cocked back slightly as is the case with handguns utilizing a 1911 grip angle.
Isn't that more of a personal preference in terms of comfort? The 1911 grip angle has been around for many years and lots of pistols are patterned after the 1911 grip angle.

That's the objective part.
Everyone has their preferences for a pistol and there are lots of people who just don't care for Glocks. "Looks" don't have to be everything; the idea is to have the pistol go "BANG" when you need it to and have that copper/lead thingie come out of the pointy end.

For another XD choice, look at the XDm pistol in 9mm. It has a 4.5" barrel and a 19+1 capacity. You get two mags, a poly belt holster, a mag pouchr and extra grip panels to insure a good fit to your hand.
c4cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #10
J Z06
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to J Z06

The Glock 19 is a terrific pistol. Like usual, I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but the compensated version, the 19C is phenomenal. Mine is 8 months old, has 5700 rounds through it. Has failed ZERO times. Minimal re-coil and flip even using +P or +P+ rounds. I sent about 100 +P and +P+ through that a friend gave to me today. Next to my russian makarov and former PX4 9mm, never have I had such an awesome pistol.

Only my two cents but try a compensated one. You might like it!

J Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #11
RacrX
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08

Kimber Custom II
RacrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
Fastguy
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

I have a G19 and have put thousands of trouble free rounds through it, but I'm not in love with the feel of it. I am considering picking up an XD, possibly in .40 to replace it. I'll still keep it, since you can't buy them in MA anymore, but I'm ready for something else.
Fastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
Matth3w
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Send a message via MSN to Matth3w

I've had both, and the plus of the Springfield was the grip safety. The plus of the Glock was that the slide didn't rust (a known problem with the XD). Other than that, not much difference.
Matth3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #14
Fastguy
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth3w View Post
I've had both, and the plus of the Springfield was the grip safety. The plus of the Glock was that the slide didn't rust (a known problem with the XD). Other than that, not much difference.
Slide rust? Under what conditions?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #15
Matth3w
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Send a message via MSN to Matth3w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
Any form of humidity really. In Arizona no problem, when I traveled to Georgia for 30 days the slide developed very small and non permanent rust spots within a week or two even inside the hard factory gun case.

Springfield will refinish the slides for free usually, from what I have read on forums and Google.

My Springfield was less than a year old at the time and pretty well maintained. I did not keep a coat of oil on the slide, so I'm sure that could help. I did not have to do that with my Glock, and had zero problems.
Matth3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #16
samsonxd
CF Senior Member

Quote:
finsh wears easily on the older models i heard and they had bad rust problems, springfield changed their finshes because of that, not supposed to be like that on the new ones.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #17
Fastguy
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

After cleaning, I usually wipe down the Glock slide with some oil on a patch and then burnish it with a rag so its not slippery. I also hoard those little "SILICA GEL-DO NOT EAT" packs from anything and everything and have them all over my gun locker and range box.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #18
samsonxd
CF Senior Member

Quote:
After cleaning, I usually wipe down the Glock slide with some oil on a patch and then burnish it with a rag so its not slippery. I also hoard those little "SILICA GEL-DO NOT EAT" packs from anything and everything and have them all over my gun locker and range box.
Never thought of that Silica good idea
Old 01-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #19
DC-STRO
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-11-'12-'13

Location: After reading this thread, I gotta tell ya... you're an ass. .

I can't say anything bad about the Glock. I do like the XD because of the safety features. Everyone talks about the Glock's torture test. Check out what they did with the Springfield.http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory11.php
DC-STRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #20
Fastguy
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonxd View Post
Never thought of that Silica good idea
Its become a joke between my wife and I, whenever we buy anything new, shoes appliances, whatever, she says "oh honey, you get the prize! silica gel, do not eat!"
Old 01-04-2009, 07:30 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page [Guns] Glock G19 vs Springfield XD9SC