Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
Docbrock
CF Senior Member

Default How much towing do you need for a 6x12 enclosed trailer?

Is a vehicle rated at 3500lbs towing capacity going to be able to tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer? If not, what do you need to tow a 6x12? I'm not too worried about the actual weight of the vehicle, I will have about 600lbs of gear in the trailer at the most, it's the wind resistance that will be the problem.

Any info on what you use to pull your 6x12 trailers, and how it works will help.

Thanks
Docbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
JRD77VET
CF Senior Member
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Send a message via AIM to JRD77VET

What vehicle and I'll assume mostly FL?
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Docbrock
CF Senior Member

I'm looking at the Honda Pilot for the wife. I was hoping it would be able to pull a trailer full of motorcycles to the track and back here in FL. I don't see me pulling up any mountains.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Y2Kvert4me
CF Senior Member
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03
Support Corvetteforum!

My Jeep Wrangler was only rated to tow 2000 lbs, and it pulled an enclosed trailer that size just fine. (Used it to haul the snowmobiles).

A 3500# vehicle tow rating should be plenty fine for a trailer that small. You might feel it behind you on a windy day, but otherwise, no problem.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
JRD77VET
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docbrock View Post
I'm looking at the Honda Pilot for the wife. I was hoping it would be able to pull a trailer full of motorcycles to the track and back here in FL. I don't see me pulling up any mountains.
The only bad things I've with Hondas towing ( within their capacities ) are when there is too much weight over the rear wheels. That causes excessive squat / camber of the rear wheels.

So if you keep the load balanced in the trailer and not too much in the back, it should be OK.

Jeff
Old 10-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
c4cruiser
CF Senior Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor
Support Corvetteforum!

A typical 6x12 single axle trailer will weigh somewhere around 1200 lbs empty depending on make, the model and options. Add your cargo and let's call it an even 2000 lbs total towed weight (you will always wind up stashing more in the trailer that you originally thought!).

While that's not a lot of weight at first glance, it's the total amount of cargo that the tow vehicle has to handle. All vehicles have what is call a GCWR or Gross Combination Weight Rating which is the total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including any passengers, cargo, and any conversion equipment. Ideally, you don't want to go much over 80% of this weight value for safety.

So add up the weight of the trailer, all of the cargo, the wife, kids, luggage, tools, equipment, the dog, and then add that to the weight of the towing vehicle. You also have to include the tongue weight of the trailer which is typically 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight.

The Honda website or even a dealer brochure should have information on what the GCWR is for a Pilot based on any optional suspension, engine or drivetrain.

Singe axle trailers typically don't have electric brakes unless they have HD axles or are tandem axles. If the trailer you get has electric brakes, then the tow vehicle will need a trailer brake controller. Don' t know if the Pilot is set up for a brake controller but you can ask. Without trailer brakes, the tow vehicle brakes get to do all of the stopping. Get a trailer with electric brakes if at all possible!

It's a good idea to have a trans cooler installed even if you don't see mountain driving. For the size and weight of the trailer, a Class III hitch should be installed. With a 6' wide trailer, you may have to have some towing mirrors so you can see to the rear. There are clamp-on or strap-on mirrors that work fine.
c4cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
O'Shark
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to O'Shark

I have a 6X12 enclosed trailer with a V nose. I pull it with a standard cab short bed Z71 5.3 liter. This truck weighs about 5400# with two people in it. Even as heavy as that truck is, pulling that trailer is exciting in a crosswind. I never feel like I am going to lose control but it does require some extra concentration. Stopping the truck/trailer with a load requires some planning too. Getting it all to move is no problem. Most single axle trailers are rated for 3000# GVW so they aren't all that heavy. A dual axle trailer will likely come with electric brakes. I wish I had popped for the extra axle and the brakes. I'm sure something smaller could safely tow it but I'd feel much safer in something full-sized like a Tahoe or pickup.
O'Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
MyOtherCar
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4cruiser View Post
All vehicles have what is call a GCWR or Gross Combination Weight Rating which is the total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including any passengers, cargo, and any conversion equipment. Ideally, you don't want to go much over 80% of this weight value for safety.
So, you are saying the engineered and evaluated weight rating is really wrong??

[/QUOTE] Singe axle trailers typically don't have electric brakes unless they have HD axles or are tandem axles. [/QUOTE]

Huh????
MyOtherCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
NavyC4S
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Send a message via AIM to NavyC4S

I towed one with two bikes in it with a ML350
NavyC4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
pablocruise
CF Senior Member

If you get an axle with brakes and if you get a brake controller, try the Prodigy.
pablocruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #11
JRD77VET
CF Senior Member

Doc,
Here's an idea ( if it'll work with your housing rules)

Buy an older Suburban and then a 7' x 18' trailer. That would give you enough room to work on the bikes inside if you want and you could put an air conditioner on the trailer roof for those really hot days.

That way the Mrs could get what she wants and you'll have a dedicated tow vehicle that works great for towing.

Jeff
Old 10-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #12
c4cruiser
CF Senior Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOtherCar View Post
So, you are saying the engineered and evaluated weight rating is really wrong??
Not saying it's wrong, it's just better to stay under the maximum weight for safety's sake.

Quote:
Singe axle trailers typically don't have electric brakes unless they have HD axles or are tandem axles.

Huh????
Many single axle trailers like the OP is considering will have optional heavier duty axles for more weight carrying capacity without going to a larger box and the higher capacity axles usually include electric brakes.

Trailers with tandem (two) axles will have at least one axle with brakes, and many will have brakes on both axles. Depends on the carrying capacity.

States have different laws concerning trailer brake requirements and are usually based on the trailer GVW. For example, in FL, brakes are required for trailers with a capacity of 3000 lbs or more. But trailers less than 3,000 pounds total weight on and including the wheels of the trailer shall not exceed 40% of the gross weight of the towing vehicle when connected to the trailer and that combination is capable of complying with the state’s performance requirements.
c4cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #13
Docbrock
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD77VET View Post
Doc,
Here's an idea ( if it'll work with your housing rules)

Buy an older Suburban and then a 7' x 18' trailer. That would give you enough room to work on the bikes inside if you want and you could put an air conditioner on the trailer roof for those really hot days.

That way the Mrs could get what she wants and you'll have a dedicated tow vehicle that works great for towing.

Jeff
I have an 8x16 now that I tow with a F150. I am going down from three race bikes to one. I don't need that big ol thing any more. Also, I can store the smaller trailer for free on my property, but I have had to rent a spot at a storage facility with the bigger one. It will simplify things greatly by going to a 6x12.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #14
JRD77VET
CF Senior Member

So much for that brilliant idea

Are you going to keep the F150? That would tow much safer than any small car

Didn't know you were down sizing the herd.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #15
Docbrock
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD77VET View Post
So much for that brilliant idea

Are you going to keep the F150? That would tow much safer than any small car

Didn't know you were down sizing the herd.
Nope, the truck and trailer both need to go. Wife is getting a new DD, so I want to use the DD to pull the trailer on the weekends I head to the track.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #16
Docbrock
CF Senior Member

Good info C4cruiser, thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #17
GCD1962
CF Senior Member

Rent a van, shove all the bikes and other stuff inside it and go
GCD1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:29 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page How much towing do you need for a 6x12 enclosed trailer?