Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #21
Freshmoney7
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddecart View Post

I think I'd buy a tollway if I were buying one though. If you're going to own a route, might as well make people pay to use it.
Freshmoney7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #22
Gary79
CF Senior Member

price of fuel goes up and you are screwed. around here the Schwan trucks were parked on empty store parking lots during the $4/gal.
Gary79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #23
NotSlo
CF Senior Member
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I've seen a few routes
NotSlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #24
Humanoid 2.0
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Send a message via AIM to Humanoid 2.0

My friend just bought new routes in northern NJ for 2 counties for a beverage company. The company is HQ on LI, not sure if any LI routes are open, but I think he is serving Staten Island right now and that may be available to buy. Since the company is somewhat new so are the routes. The cost to get in were not high.
If interested PM me and I will get you the contact info.
Humanoid 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #25
rx7gslse
CF Senior Member

So for the clueless here, how does the whole 'route' business work anyway?
rx7gslse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #26
Purerock105
CF Senior Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Purerock105

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7gslse View Post
So for the clueless here, how does the whole 'route' business work anyway?
For the bread, cookie and chip routes, the route itself costs $XX,XXX depending on the where and what. Some require that money upfront, sometimes it can be financed thru the company. You then own everything about it. You maximize the sales of product by keeping the shelves stocked to what sells. Some use a straight percentage to equate to commissions, but that can vary as prices are not the same on all products.

You must have a truck that will accomodate your needs. It is your truck and you are responsible for fuel, maintenence and insurance. You are responsible for the stock that is in stores and to properly rotate it before the 'sell by' dates, but most brands offer a $$ return if they have a thrift store of sorts, so you don't take a full loss on the product because in essence you are buying the product from the company at your vendor price.

Working with grocery stores can be a pain because it's all about space on the rack and where in the aisle is your stuff. Eye-level, or at the bottom, etc, etc. Some big brands will pay extra for premium spots like Entenmanns, who have a solo rack with just thier stuff and somewhere not near competitors.

Lot's of paperwork. Again, it's a small business, but you don't need a business license or any tax id number, as the corporation handles all that. It's almost like you are a contractor for the brand. And I'm pretty sure you are repsposible for your taxes as they pay you a straight check with no withholdings, which means no health insurance/benefits. Many do offer it thru the company now.

You also simply can't call in sick because if the store notices any inventory that is out of date, they will yank it off the shelf...so you're constantly refreshing and 'fronting' your product. Some stores have a vendor computer that you key in what you are taking out(stale) and what you are bringing in. You must get 'checked in' by a store employee who verifies the count with the paperwork. Sometimes you deliver from the back of the store and sometimes right thru the front door. You can deliver to the biggest grocery store that will take a hour, while other times might be the mom & pop store where you are on and gone in 15 minutes. Wednesday is traditionally the slowest day for grocery/food, so most take that and Sunday off, but during the busy times you can keep extra inventory in the back of the store, but you still have to bring it out and work your stock. The store will not do it for you(usually)

I've never really known anybody to make a killing, but I've known people to make a decent living with it, but that's subjective.

Purerock105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #27
BOTYNV1
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary79 View Post
price of fuel goes up and you are screwed. around here the Schwan trucks were parked on empty store parking lots during the $4/gal.
I thought they ran on propane?
BOTYNV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #28
BOTYNV1
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I have a route, but do not own it . I would only own a Little Debbie route around here. Tons of write-offs but vacation and insurance are on you being self-employed. I like my vacation time and still get paid whatever my route sells
BOTYNV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #29
et1199
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purerock105 View Post
For the bread, cookie and chip routes, the route itself costs $XX,XXX depending on the where and what. Some require that money upfront, sometimes it can be financed thru the company. You then own everything about it. You maximize the sales of product by keeping the shelves stocked to what sells. Some use a straight percentage to equate to commissions, but that can vary as prices are not the same on all products.

You must have a truck that will accomodate your needs. It is your truck and you are responsible for fuel, maintenence and insurance. You are responsible for the stock that is in stores and to properly rotate it before the 'sell by' dates, but most brands offer a $$ return if they have a thrift store of sorts, so you don't take a full loss on the product because in essence you are buying the product from the company at your vendor price.

Working with grocery stores can be a pain because it's all about space on the rack and where in the aisle is your stuff. Eye-level, or at the bottom, etc, etc. Some big brands will pay extra for premium spots like Entenmanns, who have a solo rack with just thier stuff and somewhere not near competitors.

Lot's of paperwork. Again, it's a small business, but you don't need a business license or any tax id number, as the corporation handles all that. It's almost like you are a contractor for the brand. And I'm pretty sure you are repsposible for your taxes as they pay you a straight check with no withholdings, which means no health insurance/benefits. Many do offer it thru the company now.

You also simply can't call in sick because if the store notices any inventory that is out of date, they will yank it off the shelf...so you're constantly refreshing and 'fronting' your product. Some stores have a vendor computer that you key in what you are taking out(stale) and what you are bringing in. You must get 'checked in' by a store employee who verifies the count with the paperwork. Sometimes you deliver from the back of the store and sometimes right thru the front door. You can deliver to the biggest grocery store that will take a hour, while other times might be the mom & pop store where you are on and gone in 15 minutes. Wednesday is traditionally the slowest day for grocery/food, so most take that and Sunday off, but during the busy times you can keep extra inventory in the back of the store, but you still have to bring it out and work your stock. The store will not do it for you(usually)

I've never really known anybody to make a killing, but I've known people to make a decent living with it, but that's subjective.

just being picky here....friday is traditionally the slowest day for grocery sales. the split days are for that reason. to split up the days off. most routes would not be manageable with 2 days off in a row on an every week basis. fwiw, i made between $100-150k per year owning routes for the past 10 years. again as has been stated, thats pre-tax. most routes are considered independent contractors and are 1099'd. those $100-150k routes were ballbusters though. lots of work. im much happier making less now and working a whole lot less.
et1199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #30
E in Phila
CF Senior Member

So, unlike this thread, you are hoping to deliver in some way?
E in Phila is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #31
RickTheRuler727
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to RickTheRuler727

I have a Thomas' muffin, Arnold bread route , and it is a lot of work. Up at 2am, in bed by 9 the latest.. Hardly any social life... This past year it seemed like we had a BOGO sale every week, and when the sales are going on it's triple the work... It's all proportional, the bigger the route, the more you make , and the more you work... No vacation day's, or sick day's , unless you make arrangements for someone to cover you, which is gonna cost you money... In my opinion, all the store managers are complete douche bags that you have to kiss their *** to get prime displays to move product... Put it this way, you are basically buying yourself a job. Boars Head is the best, but you need to be hooked up some how, and those routes are a fortune.. Good Luck... If you're interested in a route in Venice Fl, let me know..
RickTheRuler727 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #32
et1199
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTheRuler727 View Post
I have a Thomas' muffin, Arnold bread route , and it is a lot of work. Up at 2am, in bed by 9 the latest.. Hardly any social life... This past year it seemed like we had a BOGO sale every week, and when the sales are going on it's triple the work... It's all proportional, the bigger the route, the more you make , and the more you work... No vacation day's, or sick day's , unless you make arrangements for someone to cover you, which is gonna cost you money... In my opinion, all the store managers are complete douche bags that you have to kiss their *** to get prime displays to move product... Put it this way, you are basically buying yourself a job. Boars Head is the best, but you need to be hooked up some how, and those routes are a fortune.. Good Luck... If you're interested in a route in Venice Fl, let me know..
you guys have frys/kroger there? i absolutely hate that company. they treat vendors like shlt

btw the one nice thing about doing routes is there is almost always work as someone is always looking for vacation. once you know it, you always have something to fall back on. after i sold my last route, i started another business that got killed by the economy. now im back to doing bread again. dont own this one though. just running it or someone else. decided it didnt want to buy another one for a while. fwiw also, i have laways been very good at not working like other people do in the route biz. the route i am doing now runs about $12 net a wk and i am only working bout 35 hours per week (5-noon or so). i have a knack for finding the fastest way to do things and so i have always been able to cut a lot of time off of what it took other people to do.

Last edited by et1199; 11-10-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #33
rx7gslse
CF Senior Member

Wow, the things ya learn in OT..

I just figured teh drivers for those companies were paid hourly/salary or whatever by the company to drive teh trucks on a route.. Kinda like UPS drivers or something. Figured like most any business that the stores were in control of their own inventory on their shelves and had to control orders etc... Who knew!

Also didn't know there was that much bread in bread
Old 11-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #34
RickTheRuler727
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by et1199 View Post
you guys have frys/kroger there? i absolutely hate that company. they treat vendors like shlt

btw the one nice thing about doing routes is there is almost always work as someone is always looking for vacation. once you know it, you always have something to fall back on. after i sold my last route, i started another business that got killed by the economy. now im back to doing bread again. dont own this one though. just running it or someone else. decided it didnt want to buy another one for a while. fwiw also, i have laways been very good at not working like other people do in the route biz. the route i am doing now runs about $12 net a wk and i am only working bout 35 hours per week (5-noon or so). i have a knack for finding the fastest way to do things and so i have always been able to cut a lot of time off of what it took other people to do.
I'm not sure.. What do they sell?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #35
et1199
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTheRuler727 View Post
I'm not sure.. What do they sell?
its a supermarket chain. not sure what other they are under across the country. im fairly certain they are nationwide though.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #36
et1199
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7gslse View Post
Wow, the things ya learn in OT..

I just figured teh drivers for those companies were paid hourly/salary or whatever by the company to drive teh trucks on a route.. Kinda like UPS drivers or something. Figured like most any business that the stores were in control of their own inventory on their shelves and had to control orders etc... Who knew!

Also didn't know there was that much bread in bread
its all commission driven. its amazing the amount of stuff in a supermarket that is dsd (direct store delivery...vendor sales). even a lot of stuff in home depots etc are the same way. most shelf space in supermarkets that is dsd is bought by the company (mission, oroweat, holsum, etc)
Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #37
RickTheRuler727
CF Senior Member

Quote:
its a supermarket chain. not sure what other they are under across the country. im fairly certain they are nationwide though.
No, there aren't any of those stores by me. I'm on the west coast of Florida, but they my be in another part of Fl.. I deal with Publix, Sweetbay, Target, and Rib City... No Walmarts, thank god....
Old 11-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #38
JackDidley
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTYNV1 View Post
I thought they ran on propane?

When gas was at $4, propane went up to near that also.
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #39
rx7gslse
CF Senior Member

Quote:
its all commission driven. its amazing the amount of stuff in a supermarket that is dsd (direct store delivery...vendor sales). even a lot of stuff in home depots etc are the same way. most shelf space in supermarkets that is dsd is bought by the company (mission, oroweat, holsum, etc)

And here I assumed that the stuff with the biggest display was just b/c the store sold most of it... How naive, I should have known there was $$ involved in the process

So, how's that work when you're up against teh 'store brand' items?

BTW- Mission tortillas suck. Absolutely nothing like real ones :P
Old 11-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #40
Markm10431
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshla3 View Post
Looking into a Mission Tortilla, or bread route, also Utz chips, anything of that nature. Boars head is too expensive.
my dad and his brother did very well doing Bridgford back in the day.. maybe look that way
Markm10431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:00 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Anyone have info/experience with owning a route??

Tags
boars, california, chip, farm, head, make, mission, money, oroweat, owining, owning, pepperidge, route, sale, tortillas