Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 05-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
Z06_BluByU
CF Senior Member

Default Grill Questions: Kenmore vs. Weber

Old grill is on its last burner.. er legs.. time for a new one.. went out to home depot and wow!! 1400 for a grill?!?!?!

Is there a good place to go grill shopping? Anyone have any experience with Kenmore Grills (Sears)? some of those looks a bit more affordable for what ya get.. would like stainless steel cooking surface.. dont really care about the rest (or the size, or if it has a side burner)..

Z06_BluByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
chaase
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12

I got a Kenmore a couple of years ago. It has been good so far, my only complaint is that it take a little longer than I am used to to get to its highest temperature. That may be due to the fact that it is bigger than my last grill.
chaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Sammgb
CF Senior Member

Kenmore grills are actually built by Char-Broil http://www.charbroil.com/searchresul...x?Search=sears so you can get the same thing at Lowes with the Char-Broil logo instead of the Kenmore logo, your choice.

FWIW I've got a Kenmore Infrared that's awesome. Great for pork/beef, okay for chicken, but I'm still getting used to it as I've only had it a year now.

Don't know about Weber gas grills but I've been using a Weber charcoal kettle for at least the past 10 years and I love it.
Sammgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
Kebrock
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11

Neither...Traeger.
Kebrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
BAT
CF Senior Member

I have a 12 year old Char-Broil. Replaced the guts many times but the frame and box itself are still solid. Was thinking about replacing the entire thing this year though. I was considering one of the units at Wal-Wart. Not sure though.
BAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
VTELVR
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11

Send a message via Yahoo to VTELVR

I received a Kenmore for a wedding gift this past fall. I put it together, and it is the best grill I have ever used. Now, that said, I have never used a Weber or any other higher end grill. It gets to temp quite fast, and holds a temp well. Just my .02
VTELVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
04 commemorative
CF Senior Member

replaced a few Char Broils and now have two Webers
04 commemorative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
HyperX
U.S. Marines 89-93
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to HyperX Send a message via Yahoo to HyperX

Home Depot Webers are Chinese made. Go to Ace or somewhere else. Just FYI.

EDIT - Only the Que and Genesis A are made in China - other webers at Home Depot are American made. This is straight from my neighbor who is their head of QA. BTW - if you are in Illinois are, you can go directly to their Palatine manufacturing plant and buy it at a nice discount.

EDIT 2 - Also as far as Webers, even the ones that say Made in USA, except for Steel, all parts come from China. They are just assembled in Palatine, Il

Last edited by HyperX; 05-13-2010 at 11:14 AM.
HyperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
RobRace10
CF Senior Member

Buy whichever is made in the USA. Tired of the China crap that look ok, bu are really poor quality.
RobRace10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
KarlK
CF Senior Member

I've purchased and replaced medium to high end stainless steel propane gas grills for years. If the burners aren't cast iron or cast stainless then don't even consider the grill, that is if you grill a lot.

I ended up with a BBQ Galore Turbo built in using natural gas and it has been the longest lasting and lowest maintenance of any grill I've purchased over the years, and no friggin bottles!
KarlK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
TurboTnZ06
CF Senior Member

$29.00 works for me. I use this for myself at lunch time.

Click the image to open in full size.

TurboTnZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
KarlK
CF Senior Member

A Weber 22.5" is tough to beat if you have the time and patience for charcoal.
You can grill and smoke on it. Little small for beer butt chicken but you can make it work.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
Gary79
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperX View Post
Home Depot Webers are Chinese made. Go to Ace or somewhere else. Just FYI.
dude, most grills are made in China, and if the the HD Webers are made in China, then Webers are made in China.

I gave my Kenmore gas grill to my brother when my FIL gave a me Brinkman gas grill. the Kenmore has held up very well and is 10 yrs old. on it's second set of burners, and you start it with a lighter, the ignition has failed, but that's not a biggie. the Brinkman is still alive, but has required numerous parts which Brinkman doesn't have until China sends them the part. so I have improvised and made my own.
Gary79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
MilYellow02
CF Senior Member
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I went to Lowes and purchased a Charbroil Commercial for around $400. I grill twice a week and have had it for I think 6 years and have done nothing to it. Very solid gas grill if you ask me.
MilYellow02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #15
Z06_BluByU
CF Senior Member

anyone with any experience using a stainless steel grill/grate cooking surface vs. the porcelain cast iron? is it worth the couple of hundred buck price difference?

[;ease keep the opinions coming.. nothing speaks like first hand experience from CFOT!

Z06_BluByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #16
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
St. Jude Donor '09
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.That which does not kill me will probably hurt like hell. 3. Islam is the enemy.
Send a message via AIM to Jughead

Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #17
HyperX
U.S. Marines 89-93
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to HyperX Send a message via Yahoo to HyperX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary79 View Post
dude, most grills are made in China, and if the the HD Webers are made in China, then Webers are made in China.

I gave my Kenmore gas grill to my brother when my FIL gave a me Brinkman gas grill. the Kenmore has held up very well and is 10 yrs old. on it's second set of burners, and you start it with a lighter, the ignition has failed, but that's not a biggie. the Brinkman is still alive, but has required numerous parts which Brinkman doesn't have until China sends them the part. so I have improvised and made my own.
It's more complicated than that with Weber. For the longest time, their genesis line was American made and sold at Ace, etc. When they approached Walmart and Home Depot, they were told to build them in China. They are still making Webers (15 miles from my house) in Palatine, but some are made in China. If you go to Ace, the gas Genesis is probably made in USA (with some Chinese parts). This is especially true around Chicago land area.
HyperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #18
formul89
CF Senior Member

Get a charcoal Weber, a chimney starter and enjoy tasty food instead of food cooked with the farts of the earth.
formul89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #19
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formul89 View Post
Get a charcoal Weber, a chimney starter and enjoy tasty food instead of food cooked with the farts of the earth.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #20
Cybercowboy
CF Senior Member
Stealthy Puma Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I bought a Primo ceramic grill (the Oval) last December and let me tell you that it is the best frickin' grill I've ever used by a factor of 10. It is simply awesome, and I've given away my $500 gas grill and my little Orion smoker thing. It's worth the money, made in the USA, and has an insane warranty. You can grill, smoke, bake, low and slow, pretty much whatever you want with this thing. I've done 24-hour cooks in the dead of winter when it was 5 degrees F outside on a single load of lump charcoal and there was about half the fuel left when the port butt or brisket was done. It makes fantastic chicken, pork ribs, and beef ribs. And steaks? OMG reverse sear is super easy on this thing.

And, like Hank Hill eventually learned, food just tastes better when it's cooked with real charcoal and wood.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:56 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Grill Questions: Kenmore vs. Weber