[Geek] Laptop Hard Drive Advice 5400 vs 7200 RPM - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory

Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette

[Geek] Laptop Hard Drive Advice 5400 vs 7200 RPM

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
Mark_Milner
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,105
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default [Geek] Laptop Hard Drive Advice 5400 vs 7200 RPM

I'm planning on replacing the 160 Gb hard drive in my Thinkpad T61. It is a WDC1600BEVS running 5400 rpm, 12 ms, 8 Mb Cache, and 1/5 Gb/s.


I was originally planning on 320 Gb last fall, but time flies, and I haven't done it yet, and now 500Gb are common.


I'm looking at ones from MicroCenter.


Hitachi Travelstar 500 GB in 5400 and 7200 rpm
16 Mb cache, 12 ms seek, latency 4.2 ms, up to 3.0 GB/s



Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVTRTL
and
Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT
both
8 Mb cache, 12 ms seek, latency 5.5 ms, up to 3.0 GB/s



Seagate Technology Momentus ST905003N3A1AS-RK 500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard Drive
16 Mb cache, 12.5 ms write, latency -- ms, up to 3.0 GB/s


Seagate Technology Momentus ST905003N1A1AS-RK 500GB 5,400 RPM SATA 3Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard Drive
8 Mb cache, -- ms seek, latency -- ms, up to 3.0 GB/s



Basic feeling is that 7200 vs 5400 is faster, however, it isn't all that simple. The 16 Mb cache is important, but then being a laptop, the expense of battery life, heat, and noise has to be considered.


Then I have to wonder if the two year old T61 might be limited in handling the 7200 rpm or 500 GB drives. I ran into that years ago when adding large drives to old computers which couldn't handle the ATA of the new drive.



Thoughts? Opinions?
Mark_Milner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
NoOne
CF Senior Member
 
NoOne's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 1999
Location: Auburn Hills MI
Posts: 21,403
Thanked 71 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Milner View Post
I'm planning on replacing the 160 Gb hard drive in my Thinkpad T61. It is a WDC1600BEVS running 5400 rpm, 12 ms, 8 Mb Cache, and 1/5 Gb/s.


I was originally planning on 320 Gb last fall, but time flies, and I haven't done it yet, and now 500Gb are common.


I'm looking at ones from MicroCenter.


Hitachi Travelstar 500 GB in 5400 and 7200 rpm
16 Mb cache, 12 ms seek, latency 4.2 ms, up to 3.0 GB/s



Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVTRTL
and
Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT
both
8 Mb cache, 12 ms seek, latency 5.5 ms, up to 3.0 GB/s



Seagate Technology Momentus ST905003N3A1AS-RK 500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard Drive
16 Mb cache, 12.5 ms write, latency -- ms, up to 3.0 GB/s


Seagate Technology Momentus ST905003N1A1AS-RK 500GB 5,400 RPM SATA 3Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard Drive
8 Mb cache, -- ms seek, latency -- ms, up to 3.0 GB/s



Basic feeling is that 7200 vs 5400 is faster, however, it isn't all that simple. The 16 Mb cache is important, but then being a laptop, the expense of battery life, heat, and noise has to be considered.


Then I have to wonder if the two year old T61 might be limited in handling the 7200 rpm or 500 GB drives. I ran into that years ago when adding large drives to old computers which couldn't handle the ATA of the new drive.



Thoughts? Opinions?
Do you REALLY need the space?

If not the 64gb SSD's are getting to around 100 on sale.

They are silly fast and really notice it in a laptop since laptop drives are always slower than desktops. It equals out the performance of desktops/laptops.

My 2.26ghz Core2 Duo laptop with a SSD is WAY faster than my wife's 2.93Ghz Core i3 w/ a 10,000rpm Velociprator in it.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
TabuIsMe
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11, '14-'15
 
TabuIsMe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Jersey
Posts: 8,348
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I just ordered a 300 gb 10k RPM velociraptor, didn't get it yet, so no comment on performance yet, but you should check into SSD drives too.
TabuIsMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
Thunder22
CF Senior Member
 
Thunder22's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: NY/NJ/LI
Posts: 17,793
Thanked 159 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Get the fastest RPM drive you want to afford in the size that you need. The hd speed, cpu and RAM determine the responsiveness of a computer, and the HD speed is usually the most overlooked, so get a fast RPM drive.
Thunder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
calwldlife
CF Senior Member
 
calwldlife's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Cal Ca
Posts: 35,831
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I will throw my opinion in.
I like the low speed drives.
calwldlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
ZippoMan
CF Senior Member
 
ZippoMan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Posts: 13,933
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'd go with a 320GB WD Scorpio Black (7200RPM). I've used a bunch with great success.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #7
65 Drivr
CF Senior Member
 
65 Drivr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Location: Nassau County, Long Island NY
Posts: 1,107
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Do you use the laptop on battery alot?
The 7200rpm drive will use the battery up faster than the 5400rpm
65 Drivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:20 AM   #8
Mark_Milner
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,105
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I'm not on the battery a lot, but I am on the road a lot.

If I were home, I wouldn't worry and just keep all of it on an external drive, but I like to have it all accessible and that means having it easily accessible rather than a stack of DVDs.

I could just carry a portable drive and dump everything to it. But then it all travels across the USB line for transfer.

And at $90 for an external portable 500 GB drive or $100 for a 1TB external desktop drive, I can be into a 500 GB internal drive and not hassle with carrying a portable drive around all the time. Plus access is faster.
Mark_Milner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #9
NoOne
CF Senior Member
 
NoOne's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 1999
Location: Auburn Hills MI
Posts: 21,403
Thanked 71 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Get both:

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/214703

Got pretty good reviews, extremely fast and lots of space.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:37 AM   #10
Romeo Barrera
CF Senior Member
 
Romeo Barrera's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 1999
Location: Custer SD
Posts: 7,008
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I upgraded to a WD 7200 RPM drive and while the performance is great, there is alot more vibration. The vibration seems to be common amongst all the 7200 RPM drives. The guy who got a Velociraptor..........you'll burn one up trying to run it in a laptop/netbook. Seagate Momentus XT is something to look into as it has 4 gigs of SLC flash cache (read only) that improves load performance once it's 'learned' the programs you use...... No One beat me to it.
Romeo Barrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:21 AM   #11
Mirroredshades
CF Senior Member
 
Mirroredshades's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Hookers and Blow NC
Posts: 15,416
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I would go with the slower drive simply for battery life alone. Plus, a two year old T61 is a good laptop but it isn't a rocket ship anyway. Spend the money on more RAM. That will give you a better performance boost

Mirroredshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:33 AM   #12
Bluefire
CF Senior Member
 
Bluefire's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Hillsboro OR
Posts: 5,682
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Go with an SSD. They use less power too.
Bluefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:00 AM   #13
NoOne
CF Senior Member
 
NoOne's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 1999
Location: Auburn Hills MI
Posts: 21,403
Thanked 71 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirroredshades View Post
I would go with the slower drive simply for battery life alone. Plus, a two year old T61 is a good laptop but it isn't a rocket ship anyway. Spend the money on more RAM. That will give you a better performance boost

HD speed is the #1 performance factor all other things being equal.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:54 AM   #14
EHS
CF Senior Member
 
EHS's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Posts: 14,551
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
HD speed is the #1 performance factor all other things being equal.
EHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • [Geek] Laptop Hard Drive Advice 5400 vs 7200 RPM
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    [geek] So I'm thinking about upgrading hard drives Markm10431 Off Topic 24 11-03-2015 07:39 PM
    Son is rebuilding my computer, how is he doing? Doo Off Topic 44 08-24-2013 08:15 PM
    [Geek] Midlevel Processor and Mobo Recommendations? Jay13 Off Topic 17 01-03-2011 02:15 PM
    can I run games from an external Hard drive? MonteHall Off Topic 8 11-07-2009 01:25 AM
    [Geek] Thinking of selling a recently built high-end desktop; what would you pay? Aheash Off Topic 13 03-23-2008 09:44 PM


    Tags
    25, 5000, 5400, 7200, digital, drive, fastest, forum, hard, laptop, netbook, rpm, sata, wdc1600bevs, western

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 AM.